Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Songs you associate with films

13»

Comments

• Options
    Time Of My Life - Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes in Dirty Dancing
    🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Hotel California the Gypsy Kings 
    (" I hate the fucking Eagles !!!" )

The Big Lebowski
    Dead Flowers - Townes Van Zandt - The Big Lebowski
  • Options

The Big Lebowski
    I doubt they're too crazy about you
    This is like, your opinion man...
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Off_it said:
    Hmm, it seems people are just naming songs from films now.

I mean, to name but one, Absolute Beginners was literally the name of the film it was written for!
    Not often we're on the same page but we are on this!

I disqualified myself from chucking in On Days Like This from The Italian Job after Googling and finding out it was written for the film. Would never have assumed that.

I'm glad I did because I know now it was a Quincy Jones/Don Black song produced by George Martin too.
  • Options

The Big Lebowski
    Hotel California by The Eagles always reminds me of A Fistful of Travellers Cheques, "The Eagles, everyone likes The Eagles" (except Lenny & Stig).
  • Options
    Don't Stop Me Now - Sean of the Dead. "Kill the Queen".
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Hmm, it seems people are just naming songs from films now.

I mean, to name but one, Absolute Beginners was literally the name of the film it was written for!
    Not often we're on the same page but we are on this!

I disqualified myself from chucking in On Days Like This from The Italian Job after Googling and finding out it was written for the film. Would never have assumed that.

I'm glad I did because I know now it was a Quincy Jones/Don Black song produced by George Martin too.
    like the film 'Philadelphia' where there is two brilliant songs on the soundtrack. both written for the film, pretty obvious when they both have Philadelphia in their titles. 
     'Streets of Philadelphia' by Bruce Springsteen and 'Philadelphia' by Neil Young. 

Of course you could go with the opera tune 'La Mama Morta' which is played in that stirring scene between Hanks and Washington. 

another opera piece would be 'Marriage of Figaro' in the 'Shawshank Redemption'. 

and a classical piece would be Bachs 'St Johns Passion' in the film 'The Mirror'. Haunting. 
  • Options
    Stig said:

The Big Lebowski
    Hotel California by The Eagles always reminds me of A Fistful of Travellers Cheques, "The Eagles, everyone likes The Eagles" (except Lenny & Stig).
    And Jeffrey L.
  • Options
    Extreme Ways Moby and Bourne identity 
  • Options
    Not a film exactly but.
    Don’t stop Believin’…..Journey.
    Played during the dramatic last moments of the final scene of The Sopranos.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fools Gold - Stone Roses

Paired with Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
  • Options
    Big Country- Big Country- Restless Natives.
    I think they made a new track for that film. The film was shot with In a Big Country in mind, but the band wrote a new track for the final robbery.
  • Options
    Not a film exactly but.
    Reading this, I remember the closing scene of Six Feet Under which is also dramatic but probably not in the same way - I haven't watched The Sopranos. The song is Sia's Breathe Me. Whenever I listen to it I think about the scene in Six Feet Under which I consider one of the all-time best endings of a series.
  • Options
    Moon River with Audrey Hepburn - Breakfast at Tiffany’s
  • Options
    Duran Duran / ordinary world - Layer Cake 
  • Options
    Duran Duran / ordinary world - Layer Cake 
    "Lets have a nice cup of tea".
  • Options
    Moon River with Audrey Hepburn - Breakfast at Tiffany’s
    Someone was listening to Steve Wright this morning  :)
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Off_it said:
    Yeah, but St Elmos Fire and Eye of the Tiger? It's not surprising they remind people of the very film they were written for!

I'm going for "You're the one that I want" by John Travolta and Olivia Newton John then. I cant hear that song without thinking of .......... Jaws!
    Alright John Williams!

Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac. Forrest Gump.

Better? ;)
  • Options
    I have always believed that Hotel California is a song about becoming addicted to Heroin.
    Despite what the songwriters might claim.
    I mean Peter Green might deny that ‘Rattle Snake Shake’ is about masturbation, but it is.
  • Options
    Right back where we started from by Maxine Nightingale reminds me of the film Slap Shot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Danke Shoen - Ferries Bueller.
    Stand By Me - Stand By Me.
    It Was A Very Good Year - The Sopranos.
    Love (Christmas) Is All Around - Love Actually.
    The City Never Sleeps - Nine And A Half Weeks.
  • Options
    Can't Take My Eyes Off You, I think it's the Andy Williams version, in The Deer Hunter.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Not a film exactly but.
    Reading this, I remember the closing scene of Six Feet Under which is also dramatic but probably not in the same way - I haven't watched The Sopranos. The song is Sia's Breathe Me. Whenever I listen to it I think about the scene in Six Feet Under which I consider one of the all-time best endings of a series.
    Do yourself a huge favour and watch The Sopranos Jessie.
    Make sure you watch it in series and episode order to get the full on pleasure. I have done so twice (about 18 months apart) and the second time around you’d be amazed how many things that didn’t quite click initially begin to make sense.
    Lot’s of little subtle stuff, that I didn’t notice first time round.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Not a film exactly but.
    Do yourself a huge favour and watch The Sopranos Jessie.
    Make sure you watch it in series and episode order to get the full on pleasure. I have done so twice (about 18 months apart) and the second time around you’d be amazed how many things that didn’t quite click initially begin to make sense.
    Lot’s of little subtle stuff, that I didn’t notice first time round.
    Thanks! I'll give it a try then😀
  • Options
    Moonlight Sonata - Misery
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Don't think it's had a mention yet, so

Harry Nilsson - Everybody's Talkin'  -"Midnight Cowboy"

Edit - and who can forget the "The Jolly Boys' Outing"
  • Options
    "I Can See Clearly Now" by Johnny Nash -  Grosse Pointe Blank.
    Also the Guns'n'Roses version of "Live and Let Die" for the same film, although I tend to conflate the scene it's actually in with another slightly later one.
  • Options
    I know its a TV series, BUT , Classical Gas at the end of Clarksons Farm, Brilliant!
  • Options
    muppetman said:
    Danke Shoen - Ferries Bueller.
    Stand By Me - Stand By Me.
    It Was A Very Good Year - The Sopranos.
    Love (Christmas) Is All Around - Love Actually.
    The City Never Sleeps - Nine And A Half Weeks.
    From the same movie, "Oh yeah" by Yello.