Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why Can We Not Build On Taking The Lead?

Not sure what we need to do to get the players to play at their absolute max, but so many times we seem to take a lead and run out of steam, concede and chuck games away, cmon lads put a shift in!

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022
    The larger issue at hand for me is why can we only seemingly play for 45mins...

Accrington | Sheff Wed | Cambridge | Wycombe | Forest Green | Barnsley - (1st Half)
    Derby | Fleetwood - (2nd Half)

Bolton we didnt put in any type of performance, whilst Plymouth we had the safety net of the 3-0 lead and having an extra man on the pitch, so it didnt matter if the effort dropped slightly - But the bigger concern for me is the fact that we just cant seem to sustain any sort of intensity for the whole match.

I've seen Charlton games in the past where we've been sluggish at starting, its perhaps taken 30mins to wake up etc. but never on such a consistent basis like this - Its ridiculous
  • Options
    Its because were shite!
  • Options
    Not sure what we need to do to get the players to play at their absolute max, but so many times we seem to take a lead and run out of steam, concede and chuck games away, cmon lads put a shift in!
    Probably why these days we never sing ‘score, charlton score, once you get one you’ll get more….’
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    It affects all teams to a degree. You take the lead and two things happen. You have something to protect and your opponents have to take more risks and alter the balance between attacking and defending.  There is a degree of human nature in that. But I think it impacts on us more than average because we are not confident in both boxes so the need to protect what is a more precious thing for us is more acute. And we are prone to errors defensively which means if opponents buy enough tickets they will get a prize.

You have to react to how your opponents change their approach and try not to fall into the defensive trap too much but a lot of managers don't. The England manager being a prime example. As much as I love the guy, I always thought this was a weakness of Sir Chris, alongside many strengths of course. Maybe it is to be expected given the increased pressure of the professional game.
  • Options
    building on a lead requires taking the lead in the first place, not playing catch up to some bog awful 3rd division cloggers like Saturday
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Its because were shite!
    On reflection I think this is possibly the most likely explanation.
  • Options
    I thinks its due to lack of footballing ability.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Same old, same old.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    We are set up to only play an extended midfield game that stretches from the goalkeeper to the lone striker. Teams only rarely score goals from midfield and if they have no defence they inevitably concede goals. Playing against Charlton must be a gift to opponents. As they really start to work out what we are doing this Charlton team is going to end up having record scores against it.
  • Options
    We are set up to only play an extended midfield game that stretches from the goalkeeper to the lone no striker. Teams only rarely score goals from midfield and if they have no defence they inevitably concede goals. Playing against Charlton must be a gift to opponents. As they really start to work out what we are doing this Charlton team is going to end up having record scores against it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    How many times have we been ahead this season, and ended up throwing away the game, and why why why?
  • Options
    Because we can’t defend set pieces? 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    And because we simply can't score goals, Morgan and Fraser couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo and the wingers are simply inconsistent 
  • Options
    Good teams can finish teams off

we aren’t a good team right now

i always remember the old Man Utd who would get to 2-0 and effectively say “we’ll stop now - game over” and that’s how it would remain.  It was infuriating but the opponents knew it was pointless poking the hornets nest.

• Options
    I’m delighted Dean Holden clearly reads Charlton Life at half time.
  • Options
    Simple answer after today's win....

WE CAN !