Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your golden era

Just seen the Lincoln away roll call and it made me think of all the lads that are in their teens and early 20s that has coincided with the position we find ourselves in, and I thought back to when I was their age and going to lots of games.  I was massively fortunate - we got promoted in 98, I was 16, and the next season up until 2002 would see me miss one game.  

Personally, and I know it depends upon your circumstances and how you were introduced to Charlton, but I consider those years my golden era, when everything in my life revolved around CAFC.  I wondered what others consider their golden era (for whatever reason - maybe you were like me, young, your whole life about football, you were in your late teens, had a group of mates to go to the games etc)

I think fair play to that new generation coming through watching this lot.  I would’ve still gone, because I was hooked when we were just getting back to the valley, so if we had stayed in the Championship and never had Wembley, it wouldn’t have made any difference, but now I’m older, commitments etc I go to all the home games I can and the odd away.

What were your formative years? 

Comments

• Options
    I feel like I am breathing shit here - and I will accept the outrage at what I am going to say - BUT I am sure some will walk with me (he says !!) - I think it’s about where you are in life + Charlton Athletic - so - deep breath - my golden age…..

Shithurst Park - crap crowds - but 1st division - my word what a battling and fighting bunch of players - with a sprinkle of stardust….

I was 15 when we went up to Div 1 - and I was home and away all through those shit times

Being a Charlton Athletic fan in those times was challenging - the piss taking I was on the receiving end of travelling away if I met fans from other clubs was belittling - we were a joke in the eyes of other football fans , who still had their own ground and hadn’t had to ground share with a pile of dog shit - I remember Portsmouth away and being in a pub pre game - chatting with Pompey fans - one said ‘could you see us ground share with fucking Southampton !!

So - sorry - that was my golden time - I was an outsider in that I was backing a massive outsider - one of the few - it was shit - but I was there - my word, Colin Walsh, John Humphrey, Mark Reid, Bob Bolder, Jim Melrose, Peter Shirtliff, Robert Lee, John Pender, Steve Thompson, Garth Crooks, Steve Mackenzie, Paul Morts

Yes I know I have forgot loads from those days - I’m well into 2nd bottle of Rioja tonight

Call me out on players I have missed from those times

But never forget - those Shithurst teams - they saved us at that time………
    well thats two of us...
  • Options
    Has to be the 1950s for me right from when I was about table height and came across a Charlton scrapbook  of my brother’s .  with the first page a big picture of Bartram punching clear.  Went to the valley often - could name the full team even now - and it seems like only yesterday I would get to the Valley 45 minutes before the start to get a place against the railing behind Sam’s goal.  At last the changes to the  teams would be announced and a scratchy 78 would do its best with Red Red Robin.  Still just as passionate with a big Charlton library for my pains.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I feel like I am breathing shit here - and I will accept the outrage at what I am going to say - BUT I am sure some will walk with me (he says !!) - I think it’s about where you are in life + Charlton Athletic - so - deep breath - my golden age…..

Shithurst Park - crap crowds - but 1st division - my word what a battling and fighting bunch of players - with a sprinkle of stardust….

I was 15 when we went up to Div 1 - and I was home and away all through those shit times

Being a Charlton Athletic fan in those times was challenging - the piss taking I was on the receiving end of travelling away if I met fans from other clubs was belittling - we were a joke in the eyes of other football fans , who still had their own ground and hadn’t had to ground share with a pile of dog shit - I remember Portsmouth away and being in a pub pre game - chatting with Pompey fans - one said ‘could you see us ground share with fucking Southampton !!

So - sorry - that was my golden time - I was an outsider in that I was backing a massive outsider - one of the few - it was shit - but I was there - my word, Colin Walsh, John Humphrey, Mark Reid, Bob Bolder, Jim Melrose, Peter Shirtliff, Robert Lee, John Pender, Steve Thompson, Garth Crooks, Steve Mackenzie, Paul Morts

Yes I know I have forgot loads from those days - I’m well into 2nd bottle of Rioja tonight

well thats two of us...
    Yes

Context - my Dad first took me to The Valley in 1976 (I was 6) - but Dad was a Soldier - so as a little lad, my Valley visits relied on him being home in England

So Lord Flash off the leash aged 14, he is off and running 

And then we fucking leave The Valley 😳
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Funnily enough, I bumped into an old friend at the gym earlier and neither of us hardly go any more. We were saying how our lives used to revolve around Charlton and talked about some of the old away games on the Lewis coach (Oldham in the snow and Colchester in the FA cup in ‘84. I was 16 in ‘84 and used to go to pretty much every game home and away. Made so many good friends during that period that I’m still close to and @1905

• Options

Yep... my time too..
    Paul Williams, Andy Jones, young Leaburn, the Irish guy forgotten his name (Clark..?) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

well thats two of us...
    Three. We got our first family season tickets in the Covered End for the 1985/6 season, and got given the infamous "Message to our supporters" leaflet at our second game. Other players you've forgotten to mention - Mark Aizlewood (before he blotted his copybook going to Leeds), John Pearson (ditto), Mark Stuart (famous goal to beat Man U), Gritty and Curbs, Nicky Johns in goal, George Shipley, Andy Peake, Mickey Bennett (never quite the same after that injury), Paul Miller (Battle of the Bridge hero), and as well as the guys @LennyLowrent mentioned, also Gordon Watson. I think the Irish guy you're thinking of might be David Campbell? Although technically he's Northern Irish.
    Now while schlepping round to Selhurst was a pain in the arse, the promotion season was exciting and I remember my Dad saying "I never thought I'd get to see this in my lifetime" when we got promoted. Once we were in the First Division we got to play all the big teams we'd see on the telly, even if we were frequently outnumbered by their fans at Selhurst, and I got to go to quite a few away games as well courtesy of the Junior Reds trips. Plus there was a trip to Wembley, although the less said about that, the better. I know I'd been to games before - I remember watching a game perched on a crash barrier on the halfway line in the East Stand when I was fairly little, and I had a plastic junior membership card from the 1980 season knocking around at home at one point - but the promotion season was when I really got the bug.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

well thats two of us...
    Three. We got our first family season tickets in the Covered End for the 1985/6 season, and got given the infamous "Message to our supporters" leaflet at our second game. Other players you've forgotten to mention - Mark Aizlewood (before he blotted his copybook going to Leeds), John Pearson (ditto), Mark Stuart (famous goal to beat Man U), Gritty and Curbs, Nicky Johns in goal, George Shipley, Andy Peake, Mickey Bennett (never quite the same after that injury), Paul Miller (Battle of the Bridge hero), and as well as the guys @LennyLowrent mentioned, also Gordon Watson. I think the Irish guy you're thinking of might be David Campbell? Although technically he's Northern Irish.
    Now while schlepping round to Selhurst was a pain in the arse, the promotion season was exciting and I remember my Dad saying "I never thought I'd get to see this in my lifetime" when we got promoted. Once we were in the First Division we got to play all the big teams we'd see on the telly, even if we were frequently outnumbered by their fans at Selhurst, and I got to go to quite a few away games as well courtesy of the Junior Reds trips. Plus there was a trip to Wembley, although the less said about that, the better. I know I'd been to games before - I remember watching a game perched on a crash barrier on the halfway line in the East Stand when I was fairly little, and I had a plastic junior membership card from the 1980 season knocking around at home at one point - but the promotion season was when I really got the bug.
     Make that 4. This was definitely my favourite period as well. We were battling the odds all the time. But we had the likes of Shirtliff, Thompson, Reid, Bolder etc, etc - they were proper 100%ers and never gave up.
  • Options
    Another one for the Selhurst years and a bit more 
    first season ticket 1984-5 (had one ever since) started going in 1976-7 
    the impossible dream of playing the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal came true as a 15 year old (and around that time I started going home /away )
    I did one season of every game in the late 80’s and then the away trips started being boozy weekends and it was such a laugh.
    Good times football and mates wise 
    I’m gutted my kids will never get to experience that amazing feeling of your own team mixing it with the big boys when they’re young (if at all) instead just complete ridicule at supporting a shit third tier team .
  • Options
    Another one for the Selhurst years and a bit more 
    first season ticket 1984-5 (had one ever since) started going in 1976-7 
    the impossible dream of playing the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal came true as a 15 year old (and around that time I started going home /away )
    I did one season of every game in the late 80’s and then the away trips started being boozy weekends and it was such a laugh.
    Good times football and mates wise 
    I’m gutted my kids will never get to experience that amazing feeling of your own team mixing it with the big boys when they’re young (if at all) instead just complete ridicule at supporting a shit third tier team .
    It will happen again - not under the Danish dentist, but it will happen (who knows, maybe Mexican brain sergeant next)
  • Options
    Two eras for me. First, from 74-77 watching Hales, Powell and Flanagan bang in the goals for fun. The night games had an incredible atmosphere, particularly Palace 1-0 and Southampton 6-2.
    Then, as a 17 year old, the unbelievable happens - First Division football. So, another one for the Selhurst days and that team. A legend of a manager in charge and a team that would fight to the end. 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    My golden era for what's it's worth started in the 68/69 season and lasted until around 1980.  68/69 was such a great season for the 8/9 year old me. Lots of memorable games both in the league and FA Cup. Some huge crowds, massive away followings at Palace and Arsenal, lots of goals too. It hooked me for life. For sure the early seventies saw relegation but I had some wonderful nights under the Valley Floodlights 6-0/6-1 against Swansea and Notts Co. Later the 6-2 thrashing of Southampton. Lowlights were losing 1-5 at home to Leicester and a thumping or two from Luton. The 3-1 against Preston sealing promotion in front of a much bigger crowd than the Gliksteins declared. The league cup game against West Ham.... 36,000 declared but way over 40k inside... beating both Chelsea and Spurs, the turnstiles being set alight, Forest fans turning over cars in Floyd Rd, Charlton chasing Cardiff around the streets of SE7. Wednesday in the Covered End, I wouldn't have swapped any of this for anything. That's my Charlton golden era.

Pretty much the same as  @TEL ,
    Late 60's to early 80's.
    One thing to add that i enjoyed was away games when you were skint. Bunking on trains up north then hitching a lift or sneaking on a Lewis coach home.
  • Options
    Started going 1983 I reckon.  Been to most home games since save for 3 years of uni and 2 of world travel.

Bizarrely the most games I ever saw in a season was the first season we went down to L1 oddly enough.  New grounds, standing again, winning quite a few, spare cash and before kids just made it easy that season.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

well thats two of us...
    I’m pretty sure David Campbell scored the winner when we beat Spurs away at White Hart Lane in the late 80’s - apologies if I am incorrect  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Feel for those who's 'golden era' is now.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    My golden era for what's it's worth started in the 68/69 season and lasted until around 1980.  68/69 was such a great season for the 8/9 year old me. Lots of memorable games both in the league and FA Cup. Some huge crowds, massive away followings at Palace and Arsenal, lots of goals too. It hooked me for life. For sure the early seventies saw relegation but I had some wonderful nights under the Valley Floodlights 6-0/6-1 against Swansea and Notts Co. Later the 6-2 thrashing of Southampton. Lowlights were losing 1-5 at home to Leicester and a thumping or two from Luton. The 3-1 against Preston sealing promotion in front of a much bigger crowd than the Gliksteins declared. The league cup game against West Ham.... 36,000 declared but way over 40k inside... beating both Chelsea and Spurs, the turnstiles being set alight, Forest fans turning over cars in Floyd Rd, Charlton chasing Cardiff around the streets of SE7. Wednesday in the Covered End, I wouldn't have swapped any of this for anything. That's my Charlton golden era.
    I'd have swapped the Massive's taking the Covered End and definately Chelsea smashing the place up....but not the result, though I'd guess if they had won 4-0 we wouldn't have had our ground smashed up. Same era as you, more or less, 71-85 (when we left The Valley).
  • Options
    Once we were back to the Valley for me. Did go to a few matches at Upton park and Selhurst but was too young to really be that bothered. 

I would say unless something dramatic happens and I start going regularly again, the 'golden' period that i used to go to the most matches would be mid to late 90s all the way through to powells winning team of league 1. after that just haven't been able to justify to myself the expense it costs to go and do all that. This season i hope to go to my first live match at the end of the month against Ipswich. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

well thats two of us...
    I’m pretty sure David Campbell scored the winner when we beat Spurs away at White Hart Lane in the late 80’s - apologies if I am incorrect  
    He sure did. 87th minute (I think)
  • Options
    When I was old enough to start going on my own.

Around 93 / 94 or so. David Whyte, Carl Leaburn. Gary Nelson, Morts, Kim Grant, Stuart Balmer, Mark Robson, Johnny Robinson, Bowyer in the snow at the Den, Capital Gold broadcasting our games. 

Best times.
  • Options
    The Premier years were obviously a golden era for all of us who experienced it, but for me as a young herbert, it was the 1980's. The promotion season from the Third Division started it and we consolidated in the Second Division before the trauma of leaving the Valley and seeing Lennie Lawrence win an unlikely promotion back to the First Division. I only missed about fifteen games in those ten years and loved every minute of it. Managed to clock up over 70 grounds given our move through the divisions and at a time when the 92 were relatively consistent and practically all grounds had been unchanged for decades. There were some real characters around in those days, many of whom have either moved on or passed away. Money hadn't polarised your chances then. 

Funny to think that in 1985 having made the massive mistake of moving to Selhurst Park with small gates, John Fryer decided to spend money like we hadn't seen before in enabling Lennie Lawrence to build a side that would finally see us back in the top flight and able to compete for four years. Not silly money but money well spent on the likes of Mark Reid, John Humphrey, John Pender, John Pearson and Jim Melrose. You look at where Sandgaard is today and the blueprint is there for him. He may need to compete with a few similar sized clubs but we are talking about getting out of league One, not promotion to the Premier League. Ipswich are showing how it can be done...
  • Options
    The five Selhurst years. Barely missed a game home or away. Proper players and a smart manager, who got us playing to our strengths. A lot of memorable games and saw all of the best players of the day. Every game was an adventure of sorts.

Plus, we undertook a long running pre-match pub crawl, which over many months, took us from Victoria to Selhurst. 
  • Options
    The Premier years were obviously a golden era for all of us who experienced it, but for me as a young herbert, it was the 1980's. The promotion season from the Third Division started it and we consolidated in the Second Division before the trauma of leaving the Valley and seeing Lennie Lawrence win an unlikely promotion back to the First Division. I only missed about fifteen games in those ten years and loved every minute of it. Managed to clock up over 70 grounds given our move through the divisions and at a time when the 92 were relatively consistent and practically all grounds had been unchanged for decades. There were some real characters around in those days, many of whom have either moved on or passed away. Money hadn't polarised your chances then. 

Funny to think that in 1985 having made the massive mistake of moving to Selhurst Park with small gates, John Fryer decided to spend money like we hadn't seen before in enabling Lennie Lawrence to build a side that would finally see us back in the top flight and able to compete for four years. Not silly money but money well spent on the likes of Mark Reid, John Humphrey, John Pender, John Pearson and Jim Melrose. You look at where Sandgaard is today and the blueprint is there for him. He may need to compete with a few similar sized clubs but we are talking about getting out of league One, not promotion to the Premier League. Ipswich are showing how it can be done...
    So frustrating that we finally get to the top league (since the mid 50's) and we done it playing at bloody Selhurst........typical Charlton.
  • Options
    Might go with the 98 playoff team and the year or two before that. Saw better teams and better games in the Prem but was at university for a lot of that, so didn't see full seasons. Never identified with players.more than the likes of Kinsella, super Clive and Richard Rufus