Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Damien Hirst burns his artworks that have NFT's

Comments

• Options

inb4 something about the environment, Seth saying 1+1=2 and other insane claptrap. 
  • Options
    For what it’s worth I know the man who made the Damien Hirst diamond encrusted skull

Unbelievable amount of money to make it - one of the few things of Hirst’s that I regard as art 
  • Options
    The funniest thing about that is that he produced 10,000 pieces of unique art. Presumably one dot was a different colour in each one. Hilarious.
  • Options

inb4 something about the environment, Seth saying 1+1=2 and other insane claptrap. 
    Yes so just ignore it before you have a reason to have a strop then blame everyone else 
  • Options
    I was just asking a question as I know shine had bought NFT art and thought it was Hirst’s but may have been something by Banksy 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I was just asking a question as I know shine had bought NFT art and thought it was Hirst’s but may have been something by Banksy 
    Pretty sure he did buy one of these, I nearly did off the back of it and bottled it. Be interested to know if he kept the NFT or the original artwork 
  • Options
    Good cash grab for him. 
  • Options
    WAFWOT
  • Options

1+1=2 is not insane claptrap, it's sums.
    Better than being brainwashed into saying 2+2=5 like in that book.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have read a couple of articles "explaining" what NFTs are. I thought I had a handle on it. I am thinking they are digital artworks, so you can only view them using a computer? Then I read this:

"One controversy surrounding the world of NFT artworks is the impact it’s having on the environment. French artist Joanie Lemercier recently made news after his NFT sold out in 10 seconds, making thousands of dollars. Pretty incredible, right? Well, what he also could not foresee is exactly how much energy this transaction would consume: the equivalent of how much his studio uses over a full 2 year period, which is 8.7 megawatt-hours of energy.

His seller then resold the piece, which used the same amount of energy and horrified the artist who had looked to sell work online as an eco-friendly alternative to transporting physical work around the world’s museums. Lemercier went on to release a statement documenting the lack of transparency he faced from cryptoart platforms when investigating their energy consumption."

How can switching on a computer and looking at a picture consume this much energy?

If someone can explain to an old chap like me (if it is possible to do without using words like "digital asset" and "minted") I would be very grateful. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Yes so just ignore it before you have a reason to have a strop then blame everyone else 
    seth plum said:

I wish the NFT market was as predictable as this website. I would be a millionaire.
  • Options
    I have read a couple of articles "explaining" what NFTs are. I thought I had a handle on it. I am thinking they are digital artworks, so you can only view them using a computer? Then I read this:

"One controversy surrounding the world of NFT artworks is the impact it’s having on the environment. French artist Joanie Lemercier recently made news after his NFT sold out in 10 seconds, making thousands of dollars. Pretty incredible, right? Well, what he also could not foresee is exactly how much energy this transaction would consume: the equivalent of how much his studio uses over a full 2 year period, which is 8.7 megawatt-hours of energy.

His seller then resold the piece, which used the same amount of energy and horrified the artist who had looked to sell work online as an eco-friendly alternative to transporting physical work around the world’s museums. Lemercier went on to release a statement documenting the lack of transparency he faced from cryptoart platforms when investigating their energy consumption."

How can switching on a computer and looking at a picture consume this much energy?

If someone can explain to an old chap like me (if it is possible to do without using words like "digital asset" and "minted") I would be very grateful. 

Whole thing confuses me too, but I think it might be the amount of energy used to mine the bitcoin to pay for it?  May be miles off though!
  • Options

Energy consumption should now be slashed by a huge amount - ethereum moved to proof of stake about a month or so ago. 

The “point” of blockchain networks is they need to be decentralised, so many computers all maintaining the network, not one central server like in the web currently. Back when ethereum (the most popular network outside of bitcoin) was proof of work (so transactions on the network had to be approved by many computers doing ever more complex calculations for fees from users transacting on the network) energy consumption was high. Now it is proof of stake (you lock up your tokens to form a node in the network, these nodes then approve transactions and are then rewarded with fees from users) it’s much more energy efficient by many many times. However this is also controversial in the crypto community, as it makes the network less decentralised.

ethereum is just one of many networks, but it’s the most popular. Most other ones are proof of stake also. Bitcoin is proof of work, and will probably remain so 
  • Options

Energy consumption should now be slashed by a huge amount - ethereum moved to proof of stake about a month or so ago. 

The “point” of blockchain networks is they need to be decentralised, so many computers all maintaining the network, not one central server like in the web currently. Back when ethereum (the most popular network outside of bitcoin) was proof of work (so transactions on the network had to be approved by many computers doing ever more complex calculations for fees from users transacting on the network) energy consumption was high. Now it is proof of stake (you lock up your tokens to form a node in the network, these nodes then approve transactions and are then rewarded with fees from users) it’s much more energy efficient by many many times. However this is also controversial in the crypto community, as it makes the network less decentralised.

ethereum is just one of many networks, but it’s the most popular. Most other ones are proof of stake also. Bitcoin is proof of work, and will probably remain so 
    This. Energy use is all linked to "blockchain" which is an electronic ledger. Depending on how the ledger is "proved" is can either use a little bit or a ton of energy. The amount of energy used by "prof of work" is obscene. Proof of stake is essentially buying a lottery ticket to get your computer to "prove" a transaction - you invest in, for example, a crypto and it gives you an opportunity to do the work and you get paid for doing so. Proof of work on the other hand is putting your computer to constant use, so uses a lot of energy
  • Options
    Also worth remembering that if the worldwide grid was 100% renewables then this wouldn’t even be an issue. It’s like saying electric cars devastate the planet because they use up so much electricity…
  • Options

So not possible without using jargon then. I have highlighted the bits that might as well be Swahili, however though there are a lot of words I actually understand on their own, when to put together in that order... more baffled than when I started, but thanks for trying KA.   :D
  • Options
    Also worth remembering that if the worldwide grid was 100% renewables then this wouldn’t even be an issue. It’s like saying electric cars devastate the planet because they use up so much electricity…

If electric cars were immovable lumps of metal that just sat there on your driveway burning through electricity I would agree, but they actually serve a purpose.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

So not possible without using jargon then. I have highlighted the bits that might as well be Swahili, however though there are a lot of words I actually understand on their own, when to put together in that order... more baffled than when I started, but thanks for trying KA.   :D
    i mean, i've explained what each of these are later on in the post. But Ethereum is a name of the network, proof of stake is a way of approving transactions on the network. Blockchain is the technology and concept. 

If you want to use the ethereum network, you have to make a transaction - which costs you "gas" fees which are then distributed to those that maintain the network. 
  • Options
    So you have an actual five pound note.
    How exactly does that buy you entrance to the Ethereum?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    seth plum said:
    if buy ethereum tokens from a vendor, that gives you ethereum tokens to your web3 wallet that allows you to interact with the ethereum blockchain from that web3 wallet. So if you want to use dAPPS (decentralised apps) you can.

https://ethereum.org/en/dapps/#what-are-dapps
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    if buy ethereum tokens from a vendor, that gives you ethereum tokens to your web3 wallet that allows you to interact with the ethereum blockchain from that web3 wallet. So if you want to use dAPPS (decentralised apps) you can.

I think you might need to explain this more clearly.
    Imagine the man or woman in the street holding a five pound note, what is the step by step procedure from that point?
    Do they start by seeking out a nearby shop or office to speak to a ‘vendor’?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Imagine the man or woman in the street holding a five pound note, what is the step by step procedure from that point?
    There’s loads of ways to do this, coinbase, ftx, Binance etc. there’s non custodial options like fluid.ch as well - where you can go from a bank account into crypto in seconds.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

There’s loads of ways to do this, coinbase, ftx, Binance etc. there’s non custodial options like fluid.ch as well - where you can go from a bank account into crypto in seconds.
    I suggest you try reading this post out loud to yourself, you might realise that it sounds like gobbledegook to the person in the street holding a five pound note.
    When you say ‘non-custodial options’ to me it means a lawbreaker with an ankle tag.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

seth plum said:

I wish the NFT market was as predictable as this website. I would be a millionaire.
    Next Year .
  • Options

The £100 of ethereum I bought in June 2021 is now worth £42 so it can fuck off (was £166 end of last year, my fault). 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

I suggest you try reading this post out loud to yourself, you might realise that it sounds like gobbledegook to the person in the street holding a five pound note.
    When you say ‘non-custodial options’ to me it means a lawbreaker with an ankle tag.
    i gave you lists of billion dollar companies, things you can easily google yourself. 

It's like rubbishing online shopping and you refuse to believe amazon is anything other than a river.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

i gave you lists of billion dollar companies, things you can easily google yourself. 

It's like rubbishing online shopping and you refuse to believe amazon is anything other than a river.
    Inching forward. Are you saying that coinbase,ftx, Binace and etc are billion dollar companies?
    If they are what exactly am I supposed to do if I have cash money in my pocket?
    You said above I can use my cash to buy from a vendor. How does that work?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Inching forward. Are you saying that coinbase,ftx, Binace and etc are billion dollar companies?
    coinbase are listed on NASDAQ. FTX and binance are private companies with lots of VC investments. Their ceos are billionaires and they sponsor f1 teams and sports stadiums. crypto.com recently had a superbowl advert starring matt damon. They're well known companies, 

If you have physical cash - pay it into your bank and use a bank transfer/pay on card to coinbase, ftx, binance etc or any other company that offer buying crypto
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

coinbase are listed on NASDAQ. FTX and binance are private companies with lots of VC investments. Their ceos are billionaires and they sponsor f1 teams and sports stadiums. crypto.com recently had a superbowl advert starring matt damon. They're well known companies, 

If you have physical cash - pay it into your bank and use a bank transfer/pay on card to coinbase, ftx, binance etc or any other company that offer buying crypto
    So it is as simple as walking into a bank, handing over cash money across the counter and saying ‘transfer that to ftx’.
    Then what?