Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roxy Music O2 14/10/22

2»

Comments

• Options
    We're there already. 
    Me too
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Not bad seats
  • Options
    Still in Slug & Lettuce. 
  • Options
    Great sound. so original.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Saw him in Kew Gardens in 2011, and his voice was still spot on. 
    First four albums were massive to me in my teens, but I never really liked the Avalon type stuff. A bit too smooth for me. Used to have a double A side 7” Virginia Plain/Pyjamerama. An all time fave. 
    Name drop alert (I was filming at Buckingham Palace after he was awarded the CBE and Mark Cavendish got the MBE in 2011): He told me that prior to Roxy he was a big cyclist, and belonged to a cycling club. Big fan of Mark Cavendish.
    Agree with your sentiments @JamesSeed but sorry to be pedantic, Pyjamarama was the follow up single to Virginia Plain, it wasn't a double A side.
    Maybe it was rereleased as such later?
  • Options
    Was also there, great musicians and Ferry not to shabby either.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Saw him in Kew Gardens in 2011, and his voice was still spot on. 
    First four albums were massive to me in my teens, but I never really liked the Avalon type stuff. A bit too smooth for me. Used to have a double A side 7” Virginia Plain/Pyjamerama. An all time fave. 
    Name drop alert (I was filming at Buckingham Palace after he was awarded the CBE and Mark Cavendish got the MBE in 2011): He told me that prior to Roxy he was a big cyclist, and belonged to a cycling club. Big fan of Mark Cavendish.
    Agree with your sentiments @JamesSeed but sorry to be pedantic, Pyjamarama was the follow up single to Virginia Plain, it wasn't a double A side.
    Maybe it was rereleased as such later?
    It was, @Six-a-bag-of-nuts but oddly just a year or so after the original release. 
    Just looked it up on Discogs and the double A side was released in 1974 (when I was still at school), and then again in 1977 to promote the release of their first greatest hits album. 
  • Options
    our seats weren’t the best but I really enjoyed last night. Despite being a fan of many years last night was the first time I saw them live.  Definitely a polished performance by some very talented musicians. 
    I noticed the sound desk was below us to the side of the stage instead of the traditional right in the middle in the way of the audience. I guess technology has moved on. They certainly had the sound crystal clear maybe a little too good, I like a bit of rawness. 
  • Options
    The original Roxy members were great. The additional musicians and singers were also amazing. Sound and light show brilliant. Enjoyed that.  The support band , ummmmm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We didn't see the support act, as I'd listened to her on you tube and wasn't enthralled.
    I thought the first half of Roxy was a bit meh, too many long winded guitar solos, of not the most popular songs (for me).

My theory is that Ferry may well have struggled to sing at an optimum for 1.5 hours, so the guitar solos and when he went off stage/break, gave him the opportunity to come on strong 2nd half (think Chuks).

I think I have a point because just before they started playing their "hits" Ferry said something like "are you all still here"?

Anyway, enjoyed it overall, Ferry was excellent, the band and sound were excellent. 7/10.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    We didn't see the support act, as I'd listened to her on you tube and wasn't enthralled.
    I thought the first half of Roxy was a bit meh, too many long winded guitar solos, of not the most popular songs (for me).

My theory is that Ferry may well have struggled to sing at an optimum for 1.5 hours, so the guitar solos and when he went off stage/break, gave him the opportunity to come on strong 2nd half (think Chuks).

I think I have a point because just before they started playing their "hits" Ferry said something like "are you all still here"?

Anyway, enjoyed it overall, Ferry was excellent, the band and sound were excellent. 7/10.
    Agree with you re some of the song choices early on in set. In BFs defence I hope I look that cool when I am 77!! 
  • Options

Agree with you re some of the song choices early on in set. In BFs defence I hope I look that cool when I am 77!! 
    I've never looked that cool.
  • Options
    Agree with the earlier comments. From ‘Dance Away’ onwards it was so, so good. Sad we didn’t get ‘Same Old Scene’ in the UK (it was in the set-list in the US). Would have loved ‘Angel Eyes’ too, as ‘Manifesto’ and ‘Flesh and Blood’, their 1979-1980 period, is my favourite era of the band. I thought Ferry’s voice, although obviously ageing, was pretty good for a 77 year old. If this was their live swan-song, they didn’t go out with a whimper.
  • Options
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/roxy-music/2022/the-o2-arena-london-england-43b10bcf.html

No, Pyjamarama, Street Life, All I want is you, Trash, Angel Eyes, Same Old Scene, In the Midnight Hour, 
  • Options
    Sounds as if there was a little disappointment in the bands set list last night. Reading through i would have felt the same. 

Off to see 10cc in a couple of weeks and they are on their 50th too, hope it isn't the same, they have many later albums that simply died after the Stewart/Gouldman years. The obvious early set up with Creme and Godley being their best period in my view.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Sounds as if there was a little disappointment in the bands set list last night. Reading through i would have felt the same. 

Off to see 10cc in a couple of weeks and they are on their 50th too, hope it isn't the same, they have many later albums that simply died after the Stewart/Gouldman years. The obvious early set up with Creme and Godley being their best period in my view.
    You are right re Roxy. Seen 10cc support Quo, and they were amazing. Wonderful singers, great musicians, and a I felt a spot on setlist. Was 2013 and hope it's as good for you in 2022.
  • Options

You are right re Roxy. Seen 10cc support Quo, and they were amazing. Wonderful singers, great musicians, and a I felt a spot on setlist. Was 2013 and hope it's as good for you in 2022.
    Cheers mate, was a massive fan back in the day, saw them as a kid at woodville halls in gravesend about 1973, went in the dressing room afterwards with about 14 girls, Lol Creme was excellent to talk too. Seen them tons of times since.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Saw 10cc a couple of years before Covid at Dartford, loved it so much booked to see them again in 2020 - the rearranged date is next week. I love Godley & Creme too, so hearing some of the songs they were part of is always magical. 

Having a great winter for gigs - Roxy, 10cc, Porcupine Tree, Frost and the ABBA avatars!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Mrkinski said:
    Saw 10cc a couple of years before Covid at Dartford, loved it so much booked to see them again in 2020 - the rearranged date is next week. I love Godley & Creme too, so hearing some of the songs they were part of is always magical. 

Having a great winter for gigs - Roxy, 10cc, Porcupine Tree, Frost and the ABBA avatars!
    Been a good gig year for me too. Seen loads of small artists, lots of comedy too. Bucket list seen Roxy now and Sparks. Seen Quo again for the umpteenth time and again will see them at Christmas. Shaky is support and at my age secretly looking forward to that lol. One artist whom had always avoided me is Colin Hay of Men at Work fame. I love his music and the day of the Roxy gig I found he was doing a one off in London in February. Got two good tickets for £60 which in today's money is a bargain!   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don’t go to as many gigs these days as I used to, but have seen Kokomo three times in the last three years. They’re great if you like Brit soul. They’re a bit like AWB and feature Mel Collins (King Crimson etc) on sax, and Jim Mullen on guitar. There are six or seven of the original members still playing with them. 
    Saw 10cc in ‘76 in Oxford. Good live act. 
    I’ve been writing a blog on gigs attended 1962-1979 which has been a great way of reminiscing. Work in progress. 
  • Options
    Mrkinski said:

Where are porcupine tree playing. Was in cologne once bored and they were playing half mile down the road and I had no idea. Love the deadwing album, and the song ashes.
  • Options
    Mrkinski said:

Where are porcupine tree playing. Was in cologne once bored and they were playing half mile down the road and I had no idea. Love the deadwing album, and the song ashes.
    Only UK show is Wembley Arena in November. Then probably going their separate ways again.
  • Options
    Mrkinski said:
    Mrkinski said:

Only UK show is Wembley Arena in November. Then probably going their separate ways again.
    Many thanks, Steven Wilson does make some extraordinary albums.
  • Options
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/roxy-music/2022/the-o2-arena-london-england-43b10bcf.html

No, Pyjamarama, Street Life, All I want is you, Trash, Angel Eyes, Same Old Scene, In the Midnight Hour, 
    Criminal no both ends burning?

boo
  • Options
    For those saying they don't / didn't like solo Ferry, Jealous Guy is one of the great covers.
  • Options
    For those saying they don't / didn't like solo Ferry, Jealous Guy is one of the great covers.
    Agree. I liked the Virginia Plain/Pyjamarama/Street Life stuff best but did have a soft spot for Jealous Guy and BFs version of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes too.
  • Options

We had a guy in our class who seemed to model himself on Ferry from around 73 onward,