Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worst England moment at a World Cup Finals

Just to balance the Favourite World Cup thread, I can't stop thinking of the worst moments for England at World Cup Finals. Perhaps, I've got used to England failing at World Cup Finals. By the time Waddle sent a penalty into space, I was hardened to expect nothing less. Gerd Muller scoring the winner in extra time in 1970 still feels like a knife through the heart with Uwe Seeler's equaliser not far behind. I think I thought we would win the 1970 World Cup.

What is your worst moment for England?

Comments

• edited October 2022
    In terms of gut wrenching feelings, penalty shoot-out in 1990 followed by quarter-final defeat in 1970. I know hindsight is 20/20 but taking off Charlton to rest him for the semi-final was a total cock-up by Ramsey - Charlton goes off and the Kaiser takes control when previously he had done nothing with Bobby as his shadow.
  • 2-3 loss to W Germany, 1970. Losing it was bad enough, but having been 2-0 up, it hurt that much more. 
    2-0 up and absolutely cruising.
  • The Seaman mistake to Brazil. We should of won that World Cup.
    Let's be honest, Brazil were a mile better than us, even with ten men.

They deserved it.

I'd say Italia 90, Shilton flapping at that lob rather than tipping it over then getting nowhere near any penalties.
    Think it was more the manner of the error and the fact we were playing 10 men. Sven bottled it and Brazil had an easy semi and won it.
  • Italia 90- by an absolute mile. Forget the Brazil game - 1990 was our moment.
  • edited October 2022
    There are so many. Probably the most annoying game was the Germany game in 1990.  Shilton’s goalkeeping that game was pathetic. Then Waddle hammering that Pen almost out the ground. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Beckham getting sent off sticks in my craw, mainly the ridiculous reaction to the ankle tap. Knew we were toast then.
  • Agree with those that said 1970. Gut wrenching to lose that after going 2-0.
  • Im still in pain from 1970 match against Germany and nothing can ease it. 
  • Depends on what age you are - for me 1990 all day long - I actually shed a tear when we lost that semi final
  • Kane not squaring it to Sterling? Or was he offside? 
  • I felt for years that Shilton should have done better with the goal in the seml-final, and seemed to be set in concrete for the penalties, admittedly facing the efficient Germans. A couple of years back it emerged that they were seriously considering bringing on Dave Beasant for the penalties, I could see that would be a blow to Shiltons ego but it might have made the difference.
  • I wasn't born for it, but 1970 must be up there especially as the England team was stronger than the one that won it 4 years earlier. If we did make it past Germany though, I couldn't see us beating Brazil. We probably would have ran them closer than Italy did though. 

2002 is interesting because Brazil were the best team left in the tourney, so had we somehow beaten them we would just need to beat Turkey and then a mediocre Germany side to win the whole thing. That, Euro 2004 and Euro 2020 were probably our best chances at winning a tourney this century.  
  • The Sol Campbell disallowed goals against both Argentina and Portugal - Same with the Lampard goal against Germany. 
    never forgave shearer for that. 
  • 2-3 loss to W Germany, 1970. Losing it was bad enough, but having been 2-0 up, it hurt that much more. 
    bobmunro said:
    2-3 loss to W Germany, 1970. Losing it was bad enough, but having been 2-0 up, it hurt that much more. 
    Agree with those that said 1970. Gut wrenching to lose that after going 2-0.
    Solidgone said:
    Im still in pain from 1970 match against Germany and nothing can ease it. 
    Me too. There was always a worry that Banks going down with food poisoning was going to count against us and ultimately it did. Bonetti might not have been on his own at fault but the fact is that he did not enjoy the same understanding with our defence.
  • 1986 that dirty stinking Argie coke head handballing  it past Shilts.

• Sponsored links:

• Penalties 1990. 

Not old enough to remember 1970.
  • 1990  -fuck Shilton
  • The Sol Campbell disallowed goals against both Argentina and Portugal - Same with the Lampard goal against Germany. 
    The Sol Campbell disallowed goals against both Argentina and Portugal - Same with the Lampard goal against Germany. 
    never forgave shearer for that. 
    I personally don't mind that one - there were so many good teams at France 98 I can't see that we'd have won it anyway so it didn't matter that much.

Even if we'd have beaten Argentina, we weren't getting past Holland, Brazil then France.
    bobmunro said:
    2-3 loss to W Germany, 1970. Losing it was bad enough, but having been 2-0 up, it hurt that much more. 
    Agree with those that said 1970. Gut wrenching to lose that after going 2-0.
    Solidgone said:
    Im still in pain from 1970 match against Germany and nothing can ease it. 
    Me too. There was always a worry that Banks going down with food poisoning was going to count against us and ultimately it did. Bonetti might not have been on his own at fault but the fact is that he did not enjoy the same understanding with our defence.
    I think Bonetti took the whole can wrongly but he was most certainly at fault for Beckenbauer's goal (it went through/under him) and Seeler's goal (maybe Bonetti's height didn't help but he should have gone back to his goal line as soon as he realised he wasn't getting the cross). Not much he could do with Muller's winner though.    

Writing that has brought the hurt right back!
  • Not got anything to add but enjoying this thread  ;) 
  • edited October 2022
    First WC I can remember was 2002. It has to be the semi final loss four years ago. I still can’t believe we had chances to take a two goal lead and threw it away.

Had 2018 not happened, I’d say next most painful was 2006. Bent being snubbed in favour of Walcott was unbelievable to begin with…

But in terms of moments, at the quarter final when the ref showed a red card to Rooney (who at the time was on a trajectory to compete with Messi and Ronaldo for Ballon d’Ors) felt pivotal. We somehow got to pens with 10 men and the result was already inevitable.

Seaman blunder in 2002 was a memorable moment but I hadn’t been scarred properly by football yet to feel the pain of it. 2010 and 2014 were just depressing from start to finish, rather than pinpointing a specific moment.
  • 1986 Handball. Shocking moment. 
  • 1990 penalties. And how sweet wouldn't it have been to beat a very ordinary Argentina in the final.
  • As many others of a certain vintage have already said, 1970 for me too. Still makes me feel sick all these years later. Although the 86 Argie coke head hand ball runs it a close second
  • When you beat us 3-0 in 2002...