Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton supporters on The Isle of Wight

Just moved permanently to The Isle of Wight on Monday  from Bexleyheath area. Good omen the morning the removal guy arrived.
CAFC supporter as you can see from the picture.

Just wondering if there is any group of supporters out here that meet up or travel back.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Welcome to the wonderful Isle of Wight. I think there are few of us scattered around the place. I’m in Wroxall. A mate is about to move from Wroxall to Godshill and there is a fellow Addick in Bonchurch (@Webby). The chap in Wroxall and I had season tickets about ten seats apart for a decade without ever clocking each other and we suddenly both rock up in a small village on the Isle of Wight together. Small world. I’m hoping to be able to get to a game or two by the end of the season depending on my mobility. Give me a shout when you’re settled in and we can sort out a catch up beer. 
  • Options
    went on holiday to the IOW a couple of years back, absolutely loved the place - considering it again for summer 2023

On a side note, we used that removal company when we moved house in Nov 2020 - couldn't fault them at all and would 100% recommend them to anyone

• Options
    I can see the IOW from Barton on Sea cliffs...does that count.. ;)
  • Options
    went on holiday to the IOW a couple of years back, absolutely loved the place - considering it again for summer 2023

On a side note, we used that removal company when we moved house in Nov 2020 - couldn't fault them at all and would 100% recommend them to anyone

Wife and I plus our 2 dogs are off to the Isle of Wight next Friday for a week’s holiday - we have been going there for 25 years and it’s a fantastic place to go to

Staying here https://www.ruralretreats.co.uk/england/isle-of-wight-holiday-cottages/landward-cottage-isle-of-wight_iw006?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI36Wtq_jr-gIVh6ztCh2mPwOlEAAYAyAAEgJ6YvD_BwE

Stayed there in 2020 - fantastic cottage - at night the lighthouse is amazing, although it’s just a solid beam now, rather than the rotating light when we were there in 2020

We are going to drop by and say hello to @sillybilly whilst we are there
    Give him a warm hug from this goat farmer please Flashy 😘😘♥️
  • Options

Wife and I plus our 2 dogs are off to the Isle of Wight next Friday for a week’s holiday - we have been going there for 25 years and it’s a fantastic place to go to

Staying here https://www.ruralretreats.co.uk/england/isle-of-wight-holiday-cottages/landward-cottage-isle-of-wight_iw006?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI36Wtq_jr-gIVh6ztCh2mPwOlEAAYAyAAEgJ6YvD_BwE

Stayed there in 2020 - fantastic cottage - at night the lighthouse is amazing, although it’s just a solid beam now, rather than the rotating light when we were there in 2020

And a big, sloppy, wet one from Fanny, please 1 
  • Options
    I went to the IoW this year for the first time in 40 years. Really enjoyed it and going back next year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

And a big, sloppy, wet one from Fanny, please 1 
    I can't put my finger on it but there's something that doesn't seem quite right about that!
  • Options

That place looks amazing! Now talking to my missus to see if she fancies that next year! 
  • Options

That place looks amazing! Now talking to my missus to see if she fancies that next year! 
    It is a superb place to stay - few things to consider :-

It’s a very isolated location, and mobile phone signal is very very poor, albeit the cottages have landlines for emergencies (which was useful when my wife had to call an ambulance to come and get me when I cracked my head open and needed stitches !!)

Likewise TV signal is poor, so take plenty of DVD’s with you, or board games, or books

Take warm clothing, as it can get chilly even in summer (exposed location right next to the sea)

If you have small children, extreme caution needed as it’s near the cliffs - likewise if you take a dog (we don’t go anywhere near cliff edge with my 2 dogs) - the gardens are however fenced off

The road that takes you down to the cottages is steep and narrow - drive very slowly and carefully

There is a lovely pub only a short walk away

At night the lighthouse makes for a stunning setting
  • Options
    Lived on the IOW for 8 years. The Mrs used to manage the above lighthouse cottages at St Catherines. There are 3 of them and I spent many days there helping her doing the change overs. 
  • Options
    Lived on the IOW for 8 years. The Mrs used to manage the above lighthouse cottages at St Catherines. There are 3 of them and I spent many days there helping her doing the change overs. 
    The lady who manages them now - well when we were last there in 2020, dunno if she still does - lives just up the road from the cottages in Niton - nice lady
  • Options
    I was in Shanklin a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed a very nice Sunday dinner at the Fisherman's Cottage at the bottom of Shanklin Chine 
  • Options
    Fell in love with the Isle of Wight the first time I went there; to Sandown with  Mum, Dad and siblings in May 1965 and then again to Whitecliff Bay with the School in July of the same year.
    Have been back regularly over the years with family, with friends, with girlfriends, and later with my wife and our own kids. Have so many happy memories.
    It was for many years my intention to retire to the Island, but my wife had other ideas, haha.
    Still, she is happy for me to pop over there once a year, for a wander around old haunts, reliving memories.
    (My beloved Sandown could really do with a lick of paint these days!)
  • Options
    Sorry  @Red Robin, I got lost in my own memories!
    Whereabouts on the Island have you moved to?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had many holidays on the island as a kid in the early 70s, always loved it. Stayed in the coastguard cottages on the top of Culver Cliffs one memorable year, but also in Sandown in a proper old Fawlty Towers style place where dinner was announced with a gong and the starter was always a choice of either soup or fruit juice, and all the rest of the food was brown.

• Options

That place looks lovely but it says ‘no pets’. Assume you know that?!
  • Options

Think one of the other cottages there is dog friendly.
  • Options
     When we move again it will either be to the Isle of Wight or Norfolk. Going again next September for a week, nothing booked yet though.
  • Options

Think one of the other cottages there is dog friendly.
    Sounds ideal, I'll call them. ;)
  • Options

Yep - my mistake - I linked the wrong cottage - there are 3 in a row - we are in a 2 dogs accepted cottage
  • Options
    Love the IOW used to stay Cliff End nr Yarmouth 
    Great pubs including 
    Red Lion & The Vine: Freshwater 
    The Spyglass inn : Ventnor
    The Bargemans Rest : Newport 
    Hare and Hounds nr Robin Hill
    Evan good Spoons in Newport 
    The Man in The Moon 
  • Options
    Had a flat there for 25 years, few Addicks have visited over time, Saints away, Pompey etc

• Options
    Love the IOW used to stay Cliff End nr Yarmouth 
    Great pubs including 
    Red Lion & The Vine: Freshwater 
    The Spyglass inn : Ventnor
    The Bargemans Rest : Newport 
    Hare and Hounds nr Robin Hill
    Evan good Spoons in Newport 
    The Man in The Moon 
    I always loved the Crab and Lobster pub on Bembridge Foreland!
    Served a great pint of Pompey Royal back in the day.
  • Options
    Should rename the thread Caulk Head Addicks. (Or is it Corkhead  ;) )