Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players that 'slipped through the net'

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Pele was once on an exchange visit to a family who lived just off Shooters Hill. My old man had a kick about with him once.

Franz Beckenbaur was, in fact, born in Erith and emigrated to Das Farterland at the age of 7. His informative years were spent at Northumberland Heath Primary school. Of course, he was known as Frank in those days.
  • Options
    Charles Buchan was born in Plumstead.

Danny Smith, good little player we could have picked up, was from Sidcup as was Wayne Routledge.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Charles Buchan was born in Plumstead.

Danny Smith, good little player we could have picked up, was from Sidcup as was Wayne Routledge.

What we missed out on AFKA mind you good job as we would have never got Charlton Life lol
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]John Salako from westerham, kent (when he first appeared on the scene CAFC could have had him then).. I think his younger brother Andy had a spell at Charlton if i remember rightly.[/quote]

I played cricket with him and at the age of 13/14 he was already at Palace as a youngster before signing apprenticeship terms at 15/16 at which point Palace told him to stop playing cricket, which was a shame, he opened the batting and scored runs for fun in the North West League, he could certainly have played at a higher level. At that time Palace were enjoying one of their few reasonably decent spells while Charlton were playing at Selhurst, I think the choice was easy to make.

His brother Andy played a season or two for us as a midfielder but never made the grade and there was another brother who was a goalkeeper in local football, but as far as I know he never played or was attcahed to a professional club although I think he might have played for England at youth level.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]John Salako from westerham, kent (when he first appeared on the scene CAFC could have had him then).. I think his younger brother Andy had a spell at Charlton if i remember rightly.

I played cricket with him and at the age of 13/14 he was already at Palace as a youngster before signing apprenticeship terms at 15/16 at which point Palace told him to stop playing cricket, which was a shame, he opened the batting and scored runs for fun in the North West League, he could certainly have played at a higher level. At that time Palace were enjoying one of their few reasonably decent spells while Charlton were playing at Selhurst, I think the choice was easy to make.

His brother Andy played a season or two for us as a midfielder but never made the grade and there was another brother who was a goalkeeper in local football, but as far as I know he never played or was attcahed to a professional club although I think he might have played for England at youth level.

John was an excellent cricketer...one of those annoying people who seems to be good at any sport, I can remember him get a ton a few times. For a while Westerham an excellent team with Alan Igglesden in it before he went to holmesdale and then Kent and England.

Andy didn't make the grade and that was largely down to application. John has two older brothers in David and Paul, David was a very good local league goalkeeper.

Paul was potentially the best footballer of the 4 brothers, he was in the army for a long time and leaving the army was offered a trial with palace. He played in a practice match against wimbledon I think, and he scored 2 and made the other.

Palace wanted him to comeback but he decided he didn't like the way we played and had just got a job lined up from leaving the army and was happy to enjoy regular civy life.

He was impossible to live with in training games!
  • Options
    Shawn Wright-Phillips went to the same school as Scott Parker in News Cross. Guess that's more for the Millwall list, although SOS may disagree...
  • Options
    For a while Westerham an excellent team with Alan Igglesden in it before he went to holmesdale and then Kent and England.

I was reasonably good mates with Iggy and played with him and his uncle Terry for a few seasons, and his brother Paul, I even somehow once got into the firsts at Westerham ahead of him - up at Squerryes Court or however it was spelt, although to be fair that selection mistake was never repeated...

As you say he left for Holmesdale at the request of Kent who wanted him to play Kent league rather than NW Kent league - and that was around the time that John Salako was forced to give up the game. What I remember most about Iggy was his attitude, if he bowled a bad ball and it got put away the next wasn't a short fast throat ball, but one that was fast, just short of a length (his natural length), if he hit that spot he was impossible to hit, despite his talent a good bloke to play cricket with, never had an attitude of look how good I am, unlike a couple of the other Colts of that era and we also used to play a bit of park football together. I also had to face him in the indoor nets at Sevenoaks, even ambling in off a dozen paces he was a handful.

I last spoke to him around ten years or so when Kent were playing at Maidstone.
  • Options
    I believe Iggy has an inoperable brain tumour (benign) and is now in a wheelchair.

A great shame.
  • Options
    I played cricket against Alan Igglesden when he was a Westerham player many years ago, I was only about 18 and remember cacking myself after the first ball struck me on the chest, the second I tried to hook and gloved to the keeper, was very happy to be out. Was playing for Belvedere CC, where I played with Simon Treacy, who was mentioned earlier in this thread and another fine footballer called Riscardo.

Simon Treacy was indeed a CAFC fan and got us tickets years ago when we first played Wimbledon at Plough Lane (where he was signed at the time). not sure who Riscardo supported then or now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve dowman[/cite]I played cricket against Alan Igglesden when he was a Westerham player many years ago, I was only about 18 and remember cacking myself after the first ball struck me on the chest, the second I tried to hook and gloved to the keeper, was very happy to be out. Was playing for Belvedere CC, where I played with Simon Treacy, who was mentioned earlier in this thread and another fine footballer called Riscardo.

Simon Treacy was indeed a CAFC fan and got us tickets years ago when we first played Wimbledon at Plough Lane (where he was signed at the time). not sure who Riscardo supported then or now.

Do you know John Slater from Belvedere CC?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I havent been there or played there for about 20 odd years now, the name doesnt ring any bells.
  • Options
    That is a great shame about Iggy. I met him a few times and other young Kent players of that era - Fleming, Harman etc through a bloke I used to work with that was on the books of Kent around the same time. They were a lively crowd who didn't make much money but were exceptionally dedicated to the sport.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Posted By: LenGlover

Is that the John Slater who played rugby for Blackheath?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Steve dowman[/cite]I played cricket against Alan Igglesden when he was a Westerham player many years ago, I was only about 18 and remember cacking myself after the first ball struck me on the chest, the second I tried to hook and gloved to the keeper, was very happy to be out.[/quote]

He did that to quite a few batsmen, normally opposing batsmen would say something along the lines of it's ok for you, you don't have to face him, to which we'd reply "just come along to winter nets"...and invariably i got the job of fielding close in or at slip/leg slip/fine man, all of which were hazardous in their own way. Fortunately although he was fast he was never nasty with it. There were a couple of other players at Westerham at that time who took genuine delight from seeing batsmen crap their pants at having to face them on what were normally poorly prepared council ground wickets.

The last I heard he was ok after being treated for a non-cancerous tumour, but if his condition has worsened then it's sad, a genuinely nice bloke who had it not been for a series of injuries would most likely have 20-30 Tests under his belt.
  • Options
    BFR,

There is a very good chance I have watched you play cricket.

Squerries...now there is a blast from the past,...that was the prefect english cricket pitch! It was a real shame when the club had to leave there and move to King George's playing field in the town, although they did build a decent club house.

Just an update on Iggy, as has been mentioned he tumour is in operable but he is still very much up and about thanks to a drug trial from his surgeon Geoff Pilkington.

Alan's younger brother is a good mate of mine (palace fan of course!) and I only spoke to him about Alan last week. If anyone is interested there is a annual golf day for Iggy held at the westerham Golf Club on Thursday the 4th of october. (yes I know it's rons) to raise funds for brain tumour research and I know they still have a few teams to fill. I know phil tuffnell and Angus Fraser have agreed to play and I'm pretty sure John Salako will play and there is even a viscious rumour that Ron Noades might play.......

If anyone is interested then send me a whisper and I'll email you all the details.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]
    Posted By: LenGlover

Is that the John Slater who played rugby for Blackheath?

No although I know who you mean. He was a centre and had a brother who was a fly half if memory serves me right. I think they came from Chislehurst and Sidcup School.

The John Slater I'm referring to is many years older and played rugby and cricket at Thames Poly with me. He later moved onto to Belvedere Cricket Club though.