Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brainless idiots cause train disruption today.

2»

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    How did “Football Specials” work? Would they run direct from Charlton to, say, Sunderland if we were playing them? Did each away team with a decent following have their own train?
    Yes just like that. Antiquated train carriages, the worst possible to travel in but got you from London to wherever. Remember 1981 promotion game at Carlisle cost £9. Derby was £3.50. I have to say those were the days. Train could accommodate 3000 and we'd probably have 400 on it. 
  • Options
    Like the woman above (although I’ve been lucky and avoided what she had to go through ) I get a bit wonky if the train stops, outside a station  , I think it’s more an underground thing and I feel a bit claustrophobic and just want to get off the train .
    I’m fine as long as the train keeps moving but if it’s stuck in a tunnel I start warbling to strangers if on my own, it’s only happened once so far .
    I’ve been to a hypnotist and all sorts to try and sort it out but nothing works .
    mrs is good and talks to me but plenty of times I’ve just avoided busy tubes or jumped in a taxi to avoid potential trouble if the tubes are a bit stop start but if I had to go through what she’d go through I don’t think my coping mechanisms would survive .
    completely irrational but something I struggle with , I don’t like lifts for fear of it breaking down etc 
    maybe it’s just being stuck somewhere with people !!

I developed similar around my late teens/early 20’s

Started off having bit of panic attack when trains got stopped for any period of time , and got worse over a couple of years and i would feel physically sick before even getting on the train, just thinking about the train maybe stopping between stations. During my worst periods I would just get on the train and go and sit in the smelly toilet for the whole journey just in case something happened and I wanted to be sick. 

So anyone who used to get the 07:44 Dartford to Cannon Street between 1989-1993 apologies if you were busting for a piss. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    How did “Football Specials” work? Would they run direct from Charlton to, say, Sunderland if we were playing them? Did each away team with a decent following have their own train?
    Once went to Sheffield Wednesday and we had an whole train say 8 carriages to ourselves and about 100 fans on it. It was agreat day out as the OB sat and drank with us.

On the Sunderland train we had a couple of carriages reserved on the way up to newcastke and on the way back, but there was people sitting on those carriages at Newcastle so we spread through the train. Incidentally the players were on it going back and they weren't disrupted. Fun chatting to them after we got gubbed 4-0.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Yes just like that. Antiquated train carriages, the worst possible to travel in but got you from London to wherever. Remember 1981 promotion game at Carlisle cost £9. Derby was £3.50. I have to say those were the days. Train could accommodate 3000 and we'd probably have 400 on it. 
    se9addick said:
    Once went to Sheffield Wednesday and we had an whole train say 8 carriages to ourselves and about 100 fans on it. It was agreat day out as the OB sat and drank with us.

On the Sunderland train we had a couple of carriages reserved on the way up to newcastke and on the way back, but there was people sitting on those carriages at Newcastle so we spread through the train. Incidentally the players were on it going back and they weren't disrupted. Fun chatting to them after we got gubbed 4-0.
    That sounds quality, must have been absolute carnage on long distance away games up north! 

Sorry to - derail - the thread! 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    From Charlton station though? That Barnsley one only went to Kings Cross. It was the only special I went on, I think. Carlisle 86 was scheduled trains, as I remember we got on a train from Glasgow, expecting a promotion beer or five in the buffet car, and they slapped an alcohol ban on the whole train, including the guys who’d flown over from the Middle East for the game and had their own champagne. 
  • Options
    When we went to Wolves in 1976, we had two football specials and they were both full. I remember a few weeks before that match gathering outside Rodney Stones office demanding / chanting ‘we want a special’. And to be fair, he got it sorted. Those trains went from Euston. There was also something called the league liner which did go from Charlton station when we played BHA (I think) in the early 70’s. I don’t remember that train having seats. Was probably a cattle train …
  • Options
    Dysfunctional children, from dysfunctional families. 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    When we went to Wolves in 1976, we had two football specials and they were both full. I remember a few weeks before that match gathering outside Rodney Stones office demanding / chanting ‘we want a special’. And to be fair, he got it sorted. Those trains went from Euston. There was also something called the league liner which did go from Charlton station when we played BHA (I think) in the early 70’s. I don’t remember that train having seats. Was probably a cattle train …
    Many of the specials didn't have seats, or windows, or luggage racks .............. at the end of the journey
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Yes it was Brighton, I didn't go for some reason but didn't the league liner have a "disco" on board, maybe there were no seats so everyone could have a dance together  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Carlisle train in 81 I was on was a regular service, but the supporters club got a cheap fare, might have been a tenner. The bar was open coming home but the Charlton team cleaned it out before we got too far down the line, I could forgive them that day. 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Yes it was Brighton, I didn't go for some reason but didn't the league liner have a "disco" on board, maybe there were no seats so everyone could have a dance together  :D
    Roland would have approved of this for sure.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Ok Oohaah, I’ll say it.

A bit like away ends we visit.
  • Options
    I was on a train with my dad a few years ago on our way to a game and it got held for about 20 mins at woolwich due to the train in front having problems with its doors.

despite the driver giving regular updates over the tannoy, my dad decided to get off the train to speak to a guard. 5 seconds after he got off the train, the doors closed and pulled away.

I still smile at this a few years later

unfortunately, the next train caught up and was being held outside of woolwich so he only had to wait 3 minutes 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    If the bridge in question is the one accessed by the narrow alley that runs from Belmont Hill/Lee Terrace (opposite St Margarets' Church) to the very southern edge of Blackheath, this has been a potential 'danger spot' for a long time
    Many years ago, going back the 1950s/60s this was a playground area for me and my little mates. I can remember moves to put up netting either below the bridge parapet or a high net or fence to shut off the view of the trains coming into or from Blackheath, I don't think any plan was ever implemented. In my day we used to lean over the bridge edge and pull faces at the train drivers, naughty but a far cry from chucking bikes onto the track. Last word, I doubt there are any cameras covering the area which is quite dark and isolated  

Lived as a kid just a few streets away from that little alley, had forgotten all about it until you mentioned it !!
  • Options
    Was driving through Bexley Village many moons ago and some job chucked a rock from up on the train lines through our car window. Luckily it went through the back window, if it had been the front one I might not be writing this now.
  • Options
    we’ve had many specials over the years. Bournemouth away in the cup 73/4 left from Lewisham Station. Liverpool away cup replay. Tonbridge away 74 there was a special from Woolwich Arsenal.
    i can remember specials arriving at Charlton. One from Luton in the seventies one from Stoke which was the league cup tie on a Tuesday night early eighties.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    In the 1980s it was policy to put fans on specials on some regions, so there were quite a few. I don’t remember any ever running out of Paddington, but St Pancras on the Midland region for definite. Liverpool and Man United out of Euston too.

The League Liner and Norwood Junction apart, I don’t recall any Charlton special running via the Dartford lines. However, it was not unusual for northern clubs to have specials to Charlton - Stoke had one for the League Cup game in 1978, for example - which they were able to hold in the sidings built for Charlton matches east of the station.

These trains will have had to run round through west London as there was no route through the centre after 1971, until reopening of Snow Hill tunnel for Thameslink, but they always had to be diesel hauled due to the third rail electrification south of the river. This may also be why they never ran the other way.