Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Asian Hornets

Watched a piece on BBC breakfast this morning about these buggers. Seems they are starting to become a problem in the U.K. I know we have a resident expert on such matters on CL so I’d be very interested to hear what he has to say. 

Comments

• Options
    Unless the reporting systems are slow, it seems that there are no more sightings than there have been for the last three years. They predate local bees so are a concern, but the do look a cool as Kim Deal so I'd love to meet one.
  • Options
    Seems there have been reports all over southern counties and right up as far as York’s and Humber. Several mild winters have helped their spread. 
  • Options
    Used to deal with them in France.

Their nests would fill a 50ltr bin bag by the time it got to November. 
  • Options
    Might have to get used to it with temps increasing.
  • Options
    Watched a piece on BBC breakfast this morning about these buggers. Seems they are starting to become a problem in the U.K. I know we have a resident expert on such matters on CL so I’d be very interested to hear what he has to say. 
    It’s not Ronnie is it?
  • Options
    It’s not Ronnie is it?
    I refer the gentleman to the post at 10:34
  • Options
    Had a nest at the French house and it was bloody huge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    very old (founded 1871) Rugby League club in Rochdale called the Hornets, they share Spotland, a k a The Crown Oil Arena with the Rochdale FC .. they haven't stung much lately as they are now in the third tier of the RL structure
  • Options
    Fact: Japanese people eat hornets...and when fried, they taste like chips 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Dave2l said:
    Japanese people taste like chips?

The world is a strange place
  • Options
    edited October 2022

A couple of photos from one I dealt with em

The only Asian hornet is the one in my hand

The nest in the laurel and the half of nest still attached to the branch were both Asisn nests as was the screen shot of the video of the larvae.

The last year I actually dealt with hornets in France (2017), it was about 80% / 20% in favour of the Asians, versus the first year (2010) when I dealt with about 3 Asian nests, against around 60 odd European nests throughout that year.

European hornets are more orange and brown and the Asian hornets are more yellow and black. In my experience, the European hornets tend to be bigger than the Asians
  • Options
    That nest looks like a Doctor Who monster!
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    the Japanese people or the Hornets?