Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread + (Post-match p11) Charlton v Brighton Under 21s - Papa Johns - Tues 02/11/2022

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Proud to be one of the 662 record breakers.

I’m happy we’ve made it through. These games are actually quite enjoyable to just come along to and watch without the league pressure. I’d rather have them than not.
    Ditto, Tom.

Very enjoyable match & well worth the £5.

Thought we battled well through a couple of sticky patches that gave us a fright or two but the quality of the senior players together with the pace & sheer determination of the Young Guns was a recipe for victory.

Well done, lads .....but who's betting we draw Plymouth away midweek in the next round ? 
  • Options
    Refused to watch , got it for petrol head to watch on ipad
    would have watched pens
    Shameful competition for our ‘first team’ to be entered in to , another reminder of the shittiest of footballing times in our history .

please tell me all other clubs u21 teams are out 
    it’s embarrassing having to play them 

Absolute tripe. Maybe taking your anti-everything opinion too far.

How is such a comp "shameful' for a consistent mid table L1 team?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    It is Soooo frustrating that they wont let JFC play in the first team- he is our best midfielder by far 
    Presumably you've been watching Fraser and Dobson recently through a particularly thick blindfold
    Well said.
  • Options
    Didn"t even realise we'd played tonight until I looked up all the scores a few mins ago! Will scroll through the match thread to capture the excitement...
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    cafctom said:

I’m happy we’ve made it through. These games are actually quite enjoyable to just come along to and watch without the league pressure. I’d rather have them than not.
    I was one if the 800 odd we had against Bradford in the Simod cup. Hated it then & hate it now.

Look how many Premier League U23's have got through. Shit competition made even shittier by allowing them in to play.  Might as well just let them play amongst themselves & we concentrate on the League. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I was one if the 800 odd we had against Bradford in the Simod cup. Hated it then & hate it now.

Look how many Premier League U23's have got through. Shit competition made even shittier by allowing them in to play.  Might as well just let them play amongst themselves & we concentrate on the League. 
    Usual barrel of laughs, I see.
  • Options
    Glad this comp exists, enjoy the games every season. Chance for our fringe players to get minutes... plus... we are always amongst the favourites for a Wembley trip.
  • Options
    Having watched last night and a few other games I have seen, it is save to say Kanu is no where near ready for the first team at the moment. He looks totally lost. I think he needs to go out on loan in the conference or conference south.

I have a feeling he may fall away, and not turning in to the player we hoped.

Leaburn and Campbell are a long way in front of him.

Anyway, nice to get through last night in terrible conditions! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can definitely see why mcgrandles is in front of Foster-Caskey in pecking order looked head and shoulders above him 🤪
  • Options
    You were right guys, SL did not care at all when he scored. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    ross1 said:
    Chunes said:
    Oof. That's not gonna help McGrandles in the opinion polls.
    Explain please
    I've noticed a lot of people on here are of the opinion that he's shit?
    That would be because, generally, he has been.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    4 of our last 6 goals have come in added time.
    Four of our last four. 
  • Options
    F-C showed his assured class as a seasoned professional and should at least be on the bench for L1 games, as for Kanu he is a procven goalscorer at junior level and it seems to me that he is just trying too hard, he gets in the right places to score and then fluffs it, give him time and a goal and he'll come good.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Enjoyable game in atrocious conditions.  Collectively our first touch was pretty awful and that indicated players trying a bit too hard

Enjoyed watching Chin - he always looks so eager and no shortage of talent
    Campbell needs to work on his final ball but could be very exciting.
    JFC did ok but he is nowhere near first team standard just yet and it's irrelevant.  he won't play for us.
    Payne

For those doubting Kanu - he is a poacher and a sniffer.  Give him a clear cut chance and he'll score more often than not but he is not yet going to dictate play or create too much for himself.  He's a full year behind Miles in age, and physical development, and their game is different so stop comparing them.

Entertaining evening though and glad we got through - fingers crossed for a home tie up next
    Had a few last night. I'm not going to be too critical because he's a young lad and his goalscoring record speaks for itself but he was poor last night. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It can be a useful stepping stone for young players. But it is also a reminder of how fall our club has fallen.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Fecking Addicks to Victory blaring in the background.
    Play it more I say.

I like it, makes a change from the modern kiddy music that can be played at grounds.

• Options
    Only just clocked that Beadle played for Brighton last night. Will have to be disappointed with his effort from Payne's shot
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    cafctom said:

Eight groups in the south with eight U21 teams and only two of them got through: Arsenal and Chelsea. Two more than you’d like but that has to be one of the lowest since they were added to the competition. 

Brighton, Villa, West Ham, Spurs, Palace and Southampton all out.

In the Northern section, Everton, Wolves and Man U are through. Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Man City and Leicester out.
  • Options
    Only just clocked that Beadle played for Brighton last night. Will have to be disappointed with his effort from Payne's shot
    He was clearly disappointed because he smashed his fists in the turf several times in frustration. He would have expected to make the save although in mitigation, Payne shaped to put it the other (wider) side of the goal and the ball was greasy due to conditions.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    He was clearly disappointed because he smashed his fists in the turf several times in frustration. He would have expected to make the save although in mitigation, Payne shaped to put it the other (wider) side of the goal and the ball was greasy due to conditions.
    A tough night for keepers with the awful weather, but Beadle wasn't that good overall. Maybe he was a bit too keen to do well on his return.
  • Options
    Just re watched Payne's goal. That was poor keeping. Beaten at near post with a shot that was hit with pace but a routine claim.
  • Options
    Yes, just had a look - don't think he will be pleased with the Payne goal but he's doing well there and recently signed a new 5 year contract - he's 6 foot 7 now.