Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant character. Gutted we only got a season
  • Options
    but what a season 
  • Options
    Who can forget his penalty against Arsenal when he fooled Lehmann. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Time seems to have played some tricks on old Harry's memory - a bit like how that money got into his offshore bank account!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohOWcE7yeTE

kill joy 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Off_it said:
    Time seems to have played some tricks on old Harry's memory - a bit like how that money got into his offshore bank account!

kill joy 
    You mean you really thought Di Canio had scored a hat-trick, with the third being a chipped penalty?

Honestly!

Straight as they come is old Harry. Would never tell a porkie - Rosies honour.
  • Options
    Not sure how to link it but there was a cracking ‘under the cosh’ episode recently where some Jock who played under him was telling some hilarious stories, which as far fetched as they seemed, I’m sure were true.
  • Options
    Not sure how to link it but there was a cracking ‘under the cosh’ episode recently where some Jock who played under him was telling some hilarious stories, which as far fetched as they seemed, I’m sure were true.
    Simon Ferry who played for Swindon.
  • Options
    The cheeky, lovable little fascist. 
  • Options
    Yeah, he must be a lovely bloke. It's not everyone that gets Mussolini's granddaughter writing to them, thanking them for the 'Roman' salute.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My wife’s grandad was one of the people that strung up Mussolini, she still has the photos they took.
  • Options
    Didn’t take long did it.
  • Options
    My wife’s grandad was one of the people that strung up Mussolini, she still has the photos they took.
    He was probably at that Huddersfield match too!
  • Options
    Loved watching him, even when playing against us
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    He was probably at that Huddersfield match too!
    Mussolini?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Great story tho. Never let facts get in the way...   :)
  • Options
    Di Canio was a big reason why Charlton were so good in 2003. I think he played a part both on and off the pitch.

It is hilarious that a Charlton athletic player actually decided to chip a keeper from a penalty at the valley! That won't happen again. 
    That is pure self belief.

Curbs was probably both irritated but laughing at the same time. 

He knew he was old when he was with us. He probably only moaned a little bit when he wasn't playing and understood the reasons why.
  • Options
    Didn’t take long did it.
    Seems relevant if someone is going to call him
    a “great character”. I mean, I don’t think it’s especially controversial to say fascism is bad, right?And it’s not disputed that he is a fascist - he calls himself a fascist.

I enjoyed watching him on the football pitch for us, and his eccentricities contributed to what made him entertaining as a player, but his fascist beliefs definitely call into question the quality of his character. Sorry if that truth is inconvenient. 
  • Options
    West Ham didn't have a bad squad in '99-'00 albeit one or two of the future stars had yet to truly establish themselves:

Hislop
    Potts
    Margas
    Minto
    Pearce (S)
    Ferdinand
    Ruddock
    Stimac
    Lomas
    Foe
    Moncur
    Cole
    Lampard
    Carrick
    Sinclair
    Kanoute
    Di Canio
    Wanchope

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn’t take long did it.
    a “great character”. I mean, I don’t think it’s especially controversial to say fascism is bad, right?And it’s not disputed that he is a fascist - he calls himself a fascist.

I enjoyed watching him on the football pitch for us, and his eccentricities contributed to what made him entertaining as a player, but his fascist beliefs definitely call into question the quality of his character. Sorry if that truth is inconvenient. 

Might be wrong, but I think he possibly just has a screw loose and he's an unpredictable person. Probably just needed to see a doctor!

I doubt he actually genuinely has any political background. 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Didn’t take long did it.

Might be wrong, but I think he possibly just has a screw loose and he's an unpredictable person. Probably just needed to see a doctor!

There we go all cleared up 👍🏻
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Didn’t take long did it.

There we go all cleared up 👍🏻

To be fair, objectively speaking, I shouldn't be dismissing the allegations and playing them down.

If it was a past charlton player who was obviously a bad person and we all didn't like, then I would be ashamed that they once represented our club due to their fascism demonstration.

I wouldn't be lightly defending them. 

It's highly possible that Di Canio is an absolute wrongun and his beliefs all came to the surface while he was representing Lazio. 

My positive Charlton memory of him just wishes he isnt a massive twat!

• Options
    might have only had him for 1 season, but one of my favourite players I've ever seen play for us.

remember the goal he scored in training that SSN kept playing over and over
  • Options

To be fair, objectively speaking, I shouldn't be dismissing the allegations and playing them down.

If it was a past charlton player who was obviously a bad person and we all didn't like, then I would be ashamed that they once represented our club due to their fascism demonstration.

I wouldn't be lightly defending them. 

It's highly possible that Di Canio is an absolute wrongun and his beliefs all came to the surface while he was representing Lazio. 

My positive Charlton memory of him just wishes he isnt a massive twat!

Yeah I get that completely, I was an admirer of him when he played for West Ham,  when we signed him & I got to watch him live for a season I was over the moon. Can't remember how long after he left I remember seeing on SSN him scoring for Lazio & running around doing the fascist salute, I was gutted & sort of put it in the back of my mind, carried on just remembering the season we got from him. I don't know how strongly he feels for fascism if at all or if he was just playing up to hardcore fans? I just know from Italian politics now it can't have been an ab-normal view in Italy.   
  • Options
    He was on £20k a week with us. 
    The best £1m we ever spent. 
    Totally raised the standard of all the squad around him. 
  • Options
    Didn’t take long did it.

I just assumed it was blatantly obvious to absolutely everyone that the reference to ‘great character’ was in a football sense. 

Hey ho, never assume and all that
  • Options
    might have only had him for 1 season, but one of my favourite players I've ever seen play for us.

remember the goal he scored in training that SSN kept playing over and over
    The rabona volley

https://fb.watch/gHMLwXDKXb/
  • Options
    https://sphinx.acast.com/undrcosh/9-siferrypt1-paolodicaniooo-paolodicaniooo/media.mp3

Si Ferry talking about Di Canio at Swindon...

V v funny!