Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stevenage vs Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 8th November 2022 - 7:45pm KO | Match Preview

Stevenage vs Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 8th November 2022 - 7:45pm Kick-Off
League Cup 3rd Round

Introduction
Yup you're reading that correctly, please do not adjust your Television sets... The Addicks are once again back in the Third Round of the League Cup for the first time since 2015, a year where Crystal Palace dumped the Addicks out of the competition with a comfortable score line - You have to argue that on paper, Charlton are favourites for this evenings tie... Stevenage the hosts are all that stand between us and Round Four, the last time we got to that stage, went ended up going all the way to the Quarter-Finals in 2007... God we're c**p in this competition!!

The Opposition
Name: Stevenage (League Two) | Manager: Steve Evans
Ground: Broadhill Way
Previous Round: Stevenage 1-0 Peterborough United

Since relegation from League One, our opponents have struggled back in the fourth tier, just three of their eight years back in League Two have ended in the top half (one of those in the Play-Offs), whilst two of the last three years relegation back to the National League has been avoided by a whisker... Steve Evans though, regardless of opinion is perhaps one of the better Managers at that level, and has turned the tide for the side from Hertfordshire - They sit second in the table, with just three defeats all season, and only one loss at home - The power of having an on loan Alex Gilbey is strong with them!!

Whilst Alex will be ineligible for tonight's encounter (cup tied at the very least), we should remember that Stevenage have already impressed against League One opposition, having beaten Peterborough at Broadhill Way in the last round. Whilst they achieved a 2-1 win @ Reading in the First - Already Stevenage have gone one stage further this year in the League Cup than ever before... For one team, the dream of going even further has to end tonight!!

Charlton Team News
Injuries once again rear their ugly head in SE7 with Mandela Egbo now expected to miss the rest of the season after picking up a freak injury against Ipswich, of course you'd expect Sean Clare to deputise at Right-Back, however Richard Chin was rested for the FA Cup, and impressed against Brighton in the EFL Trophy so may get another opportunity to impress this evening - Deji Elerewe has been recalled from his loan at Wealdstone and will travel to Stevenage this evening, what with the Terrell Thomas joining the injury list... However Ryan Inniss is now once again available for selection, having served his two game suspension.

Jojo Wollacott could equally be rested this evening, the Ghanian Goalkeeper will surely join up with his International colleagues ahead of the World Cup (never thought I'd get to put that in a Preview), but you'd expect him to still be a part of the Burton squad this coming Saturday before that happens.

Wollacott
Clare - Inniss - Lavelle - Sessegnon
Forster-Caskey - Dobson - Fraser
Payne - Stockley - Campbell

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray - Elerewe - Chin - Kirk - Henry - Kanu - Aneke

Comments

• Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    That's the spirit!
  • Options
    Addicks 3-0!
  • Options
    Are there any streams, dodgy or otherwise 
  • Options
    0-2 win, Stockley and Payne

Spurs away next round...
  • Options
    Expecting a pretty much full strength team. Maybe saving CBT for the bench so he can start on Saturday 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Bookies have Stevenage favourites (just) 8/5
    We're 17/10
  • Options
    Going for the hat trick of cup wins with a possible close 1-2 scoreline, don't care who scores ... the important stuff resumes next week at Burton...but hey why not have a cup run...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    We're 17/5
    That seems pretty decent odds for us. I would expect those odds away at a Portsmouth or Wycombe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    We're 17/5
    That seems pretty decent odds for us. I would expect those odds away at a Portsmouth or Wycombe.
    Apologies that's complete bollox, we're 17/10 i meant
  • Options
    Even if Stevenage are a league below us, away fixtures are never easy, especially against a team who have played so well at home this season. I think it will be a tough tough game, and we will have to be at the top of our game to progress to the next round. 

But I think we should have to much quality for them. 
  • Options
    Anyone know of a live stream 🤔 
  • Options
    I think that audio stream via CafcTV is the only option. Even BBC Three Counties station on Sounds doesn’t look like it is streaming the audio live, as the Stevenage game is competing with Watford and Luton, both of which are playing in the Championship tonight. Bloody football league!
  • Options
    If Roberts is immediately suspended (has been in good goalscoring form) and with Gilbey cup-tied, I reckon we will have the edge. May go a goal down but will run out 3-1 winners. No finer predictor details, keeping them to myself.
  • Options
    If Roberts is immediately suspended (has been in good goalscoring form) and with Gilbey cup-tied, I reckon we will have the edge. May go a goal down but will run out 3-1 winners. No finer predictor details, keeping them to myself.
    Aw cmon. How many yards out will their goal be scored from?
  • Options
    Think mcgrandles gets in before foster caskey on merit  even though his injured 🤪
  • Options
    I'd expect a stronger squad than that one FA, with both Morgan and CBT involved. Indeed in midfield and attack (other than centre forward) we have a few options, it's the defence which is desperately stretched.
  • Options
    If we take this seriously (which we should do) and put out a strong team then I think we will win. However, there are big question-marks about that defence. I will be surprised if we keep a clean sheet, but think we will score more than we concede. 

Stevenage must be gutted that Gilbey will be missing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No stream. Any other commentaries from London/Kent area?
  • Options
    If the game goes to form it could be a tough night. Stevenage flying at the top of league two with home advantage against us, an average league one side in mid table.
  • Options
    Just can’t see us winning 3 cup games in a week will be some sort of club record .. lose on pens 

would not swap 3 points Saturday for a win tonight 

• Options
    Interesting stat 

Steve Evans has faced #cafc 11 times during his managerial career and only lost once - a dead rubber at the end of a Championship season where we won 2-1 at Leeds but had already been relegated 
  • Options
    Steve Evans has the hex on us. I was mildly optimistic until I read the stat…
  • Options
    Come on lads, let’s keep the quadruple alive!
  • Options
    Is Rak-Sakyi not allowed to play in the cup games?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    On the fence on this one. Was going to predict a defeat then saw that their top goalscorer is suspended & that Stevenage lost their last home match......so odds in our favour. Then I read Evans has only lost once facing us and we can barely put out a recognisable team.....so odds in their favour.

So going for a Desmond & then lose on penalties after finding out by that point in time we dont have enough fit players to take 5 pens.
  • Options
    Is Rak-Sakyi not allowed to play in the cup games?
    He came off the bench at Walsall, so allowed to play if selected