Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton / World Cup Fixture Clashes

edited November 2022 in General Charlton
Papa Johns Last 32:
- Tues 22/11 7pm, France v Australia
- Weds 23/11 7pm, Belgium v Canada
- Thu 24/11 7pm, Brazil v Serbia

FA Cup 2nd Round vs Stockport
- Fri 25/11 7pm, England v USA
- Sat 26/11 1pm, Poland v Saudi Arabia
- Sat 26/11 4pm, France v Denmark
- Sun 27/11 1pm, Belgium v Morocco
- Sun 27/11 4pm, Croatia v Canada
- Mon 28/11 7pm, Portugal v Uruguay

League One vs Cheltenham:
- Fri 2/12 7pm, Serbia v Switzerland (CONFIRMED)

(Potential) FA Cup 2nd Round Replay vs Stockport:
- Tue 6/12 7pm, R16 (Group H Winner v Group G Runner Up)
- Wed 7/12: No World Cup matches

League One vs Morecambe
- Sat 10/12 3pm, QF (potentially Belgium v Portugal)
- Sun 11/12: No World Cup matches 
- Fri 9/12: could be an England quarter final

League One vs Bristol Rovers
- Sat 17/12 3pm, Third Place Playoff Match
- Fri 16/12: No World Cup matches
- Sun 18/12 3pm, World Cup Final

Comments

• Options
    This is bullshit, how have Brazil and the rest of them got into the papa John's trophy last 32?! That was our cup for the taking. 
    Don't worry it's their U13 sides, might still have a small chance. 
  • Options
    Reckon the Stockport game will get moved back to lunchtime so it doesn't clash with the Denmark game?
  • Options
    It's just an absolute farce. The 10th could see England in a big quarter final game depending where we come in the group. I just don't think genuine football fans should have to consider splitting there loyalties like people may have too. The greatest football Pyramid in the world, it seems totally bizarre we are playing when a tournament of such magnitude is being played. Hope we win it but i still haven't got my head round it!
  • Options
    It's just an absolute farce. The 10th could see England in a big quarter final game depending where we come in the group. I just don't think genuine football fans should have to consider splitting there loyalties like people may have too. The greatest football Pyramid in the world, it seems totally bizarre we are playing when a tournament of such magnitude is being played. Hope we win it but i still haven't got my head round it!
    Yes it's bizarre. I would not be surprised to see most League One & League Two fixtures moved to Sunday the 11th (similar to how Cheltenham was moved from the 3rd to the 2nd) as there'll be no World Cup matches played on that date.
  • Options
    Sat 10/12 3pm, QF (potentially Belgium v Portugal)

This is wrong according to FIFA scedule. It would be a 7pm kick off so no clash and no panic. 
  • Options
    redman said:

This is wrong according to FIFA scedule. It would be a 7pm kick off so no clash and no panic. 
    There are two quarter finals scheduled for that day. One kicks off at 3pm and the other at 7pm.

If the Pot 1 teams all make it through as group winners, the matches played would be:

Belgium v Portugal, 3PM KO
    England v France, 7PM KO
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Even though I’m not yet remotely excited about it, pretty sure once it starts domestic football will take a backseat whilst it’s on 

ridiculous that it’s not all been paused for it 
  • Options
    Would be interesting to see how league fixture attendances change during the World Cup. 

Do they increase because of the lack of football in the top flight, or do they decrease because people are binging on football already with the World Cup? 

Would be the perfect chance to get casual Premier League fans in for a live game over the next month. 
  • Options

It's also unfair on the players and coaching staff.

They will obviously mostly want to watch England play
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Stockport match should be midday on the Sat.  I'm sure not too many people will mind missing Poland v Saudi Arabia. Would be daft to have it clash with France v Denmark. 

• Options
    The Stockport match should be midday on the Sat.  I'm sure not too many people will mind missing Poland v Saudi Arabia. Would be daft to have it clash with France v Denmark. 

Personally don't agree. Saturday 3pm kick offs give best attendances and don't really believe France v Denmark will affect the gate much. Nothing like live football 
  • Options
    redman said:

There are two quarter finals scheduled for that day. One kicks off at 3pm and the other at 7pm.

If the Pot 1 teams all make it through as group winners, the matches played would be:

Belgium v Portugal, 3PM KO
    England v France, 7PM KO
    Yes correct. Apologies. I was just thinking of clashing with England games which it can't. Although would affect any Charlton fans travelling so will affect our away support. 
  • Options

That would be really harsh on the substantial number of away fans
  • Options
    i was actually hoping of may be a few more casual fans that are missing the live football fix might turn in just to put a bit of money into the club 
  • Options
    i was actually hoping of may be a few more casual fans that are missing the live football fix might turn in just to put a bit of money into the club 
    I think it'll be the exact opposite - can see attendances being really hurt, especially for the casual pay on the door punter
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Papa Johns Last 32:
    - Tues 22/11 7pm, France v Australia (CONFIRMED)

- Sat 26/11 4pm, France v Denmark (CONFIRMED)

League One vs Morecambe

• Options
    Papa Johns Last 32:

League One vs Morecambe

Just looking at the fixtures aren't England set to play on the 10th as well (7pm) if we get that far 🤔
  • Options
    Papa Johns Last 32:

League One vs Morecambe

Just looking at the fixtures aren't England set to play on the 10th as well (7pm) if we get that far 🤔
    Yes, kick off wouldn't be until 7pm so I didn't include it originally, although it would affect those travelling to the away game up in Morecambe.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    FA Cup 2nd Round Replay vs Stockport:
    - Tue 6/12: 4:00pm, (R16 1F v 2E) & 7:00pm, (R16 1H v 2G)
    - Wed 7/12: no World Cup matches
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FA Cup 2nd Round Replay vs Stockport:
    Least we'll have something on the TV to fill the World Cup void then
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    League One vs Cheltenham (H):
    - Fri 2/12 7pm, Serbia v Switzerland & Cameroon v Brazil (CONFIRMED)
    (plus Ghana v Uruguay & Portugal v South Korea at 3pm earlier that day)

FA Cup 2nd Round Replay vs Stockport (A):
    - Wed 7/12: no World Cup matches (CONFIRMED)

League One vs Morecambe (A):
    - Sat 10/12 3pm, potential QF Germany v Portugal
    (plus potential QF England v France at 7pm later that day)

League One vs Bristol Rovers (H):
  • Options
    redman said:

Personally don't agree. Saturday 3pm kick offs give best attendances and don't really believe France v Denmark will affect the gate much. Nothing like live football 
    I think that was wishful thinking, as shown by the (lack of) crowd of 3889, down on the 4707 against Coalville.
  • Options
    redman said:

I think that was wishful thinking, as shown by the (lack of) crowd of 3889, down on the 4707 against Coalville.
    Down by numbers in the away end. Numbers in the home areas were roughly the same (Give or take 70+) for both games 
  • Options
    Thats ridiculous really, should have thought before the Tournament kicked off

Enough teams managed to organise it properly prior to the Senegal game
  • Options
    That's disgraceful. Can't understand why a unilateral decision wasn't made at the start of the season to play this weekend's games at 12/1pm kick off Saturday, or anytime on Sunday. Fans on here and presumably at other clubs were working out the potential fixture clashes with the World Cup as soon as the fixture list came out, can't believe nobody employed by these clubs was capable of doing the same. 
  • Options
    England winning their group and reaching the QF, so that they would play this Saturday at 7pm was a pretty likely scenario. So lets schedule a full fixture list from the Championship downwards on that day...