Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stadium announcements, 'hate' etc

Comments

• Options
    I can't help wondering if some people wouldn't be bothered, if a neighbour shouted through their letter box every evening on a megaphone, 4 times between 8pm & 10pm  :D
  • Options
    5 Pages devoted to a stadium announcement. Talk about majoring in the minor. 
  • Options
    I can't help wondering if some people wouldn't be bothered, if a neighbour shouted through their letter box every evening on a megaphone, 4 times between 8pm & 10pm  :D
    It’s almost as if your example, and an info announcement at charlton games are two completely different things..
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    It’s almost as if your example, and an info announcement at charlton games are two completely different things..
    So out of interest, would you just ignore your neighbour, as it's only 10 seconds, 4 times a night or would it annoy you? 
  • Options
    So out of intetest, would you just ignore your neighbour, as it's only 10 seconds, 4 times a night or would it annoy you? 
    No I wouldn’t.

So you’re still trying to convince us in the “not bothered” camp this is the same as an announcement at charlton yeah, have a day off mate.  
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    So out of intetest, would you just ignore your neighbour, as it's only 10 seconds, 4 times a night or would it annoy you? 
    No I wouldn’t.

So you’re still trying to convince us in the “not bothered” camp this is the same as an announcement at charlton yeah, have a day off mate.  
    Obviously not the same. 

But it's interesting that some words aimed at you for 10 seconds would annoy you and you wouldn't ignore it.

Yet, you tell others to  ignore words aimed at them and they should ignore it.

I've also just read how you get annoyed by Christmas decorations in November.
    Just ignore them  :):smile:
  • Options
    No I wouldn’t.

Obviously not the same. 

But it's interesting that some words aimed at you for 10 seconds would annoy you and you wouldn't ignore it.

You’ve said it’s not the same then made the comparison again on the third paragraph, so I’ll play ball it that’s what it takes.

a) I don’t need a contact number for “hate” when I’m indoors, I’ve memorised 999, not that I’d use it for “hate” anyway.  

b) so that makes the announcement unnecessary, so if my neighbour decided to shout through my letter box he get told politely not to, failing that, a right hander, or the OB would get called depending on how big he is.

c) it’s a public announcement, not a private announcement, my house is private, charlton is a public place.  

Now does my silly answer, cover your silly question, with the greatest of respect intended?
  • Options
    No I wouldn’t.

Obviously not the same. 

I've also just read how you get annoyed by Christmas decorations in November.
    Just ignore them  :):smile:
    And in the next sentence I’ve stated how silly I am, you need to work on your “gotcha” moments.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I said if your neighbour shouted through your letter box. 
    I didn't mention him making any announcements.

It's interesting that you would assault him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I said if your neighbour shouted through your letter box. 
    I didn't mention him making any announcements.

It's interesting that you would assault him. 
    Shouted/announcement, call it what you want, my answer remains.  
  • Options
    I get the message, but there's no need to announce it while the game is in progress. It just disrupts the atmosphere (if there is any). Do it pre match, half time or before ATV at the end lol. That's enough. Or if you really wanna engage the covered end, get a fish on the big screen to deliver the msg, albeit silently 
  • Options
    Think the club is missing out. Perhaps the team can ditch the red robin and come out with oh okey cokey wokey and that would appease some fans.

Me i am there to watch the football and just ignore the pre match bollocks, and during the match disturbances, go to see the football and support my team, not interested in made up shite. 
  • Options
    Bystander suggestion time.

Those that dislike the 'hate' announcements can try their best to ignore them, and those that are upset at those that dislike the hate announcements can ignore them discussing it. Especially if you're not bothered by any of it.
    Afraid mate some people would find someone to argue with in an empty room....
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I think the starting point in this discussion is

- whether you think its out of order for people to be abused for e.g. their race,  nationality,  gender or sexuality while at the Valley (putting aside other locations!!)

I'd like to think most people would agree that it is, but some posters in this thread have pretty much said they don't care, as far as I can see (not many, mind). 

The next point then becomes:

- if its not OK for people to be abused for e.g. race, gender, nationality or sexuality at the Valley, is making announcements during the game an effective way to prevent/lessen this happening...

If no... stop it, surely 

If yes... then... what this thread seems to have been saying is that there needs to be a consideration of the balance of this benefit against the negative impact it is having on some people's match experiences...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Many of the comments against the announcements don't seem to have taken all of this into consideration.  There have been statements along the lines of "I don't come to the football to be lectured. This should stop." I get that, but we surely need to consider the people who being abused, too...no? Shouldn't we seek ways to stop people having those experiences?

• Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Southbank said:
    There are some good and some bad reasons for opposing taking the knee (all have been well aired before so no need to run through them).
    But of one thing I am sure, 'preaching' while  a football match is going on will address or change neither.
    I am one individual whose opinion differs.
    There are no good reasons for opposing taking the knee.
    Just because you agree with the aim, it doesn't mean you agree with the action.

After all the PL has stopped the taking the knee, other than for brief periods of the season, as it was achieving very little and had just become part of the furniture. 

And is there a shred of evidence that taking the knee has lessened racial abuse of footballers on social media, which is where is predominantly happens?
    If you agree with the aim, but disagree with the action (of taking the knee) why would anybody bother to boo it? It is over in seconds.
    People don’t boo the furniture.
    @seth plum. I agree with the aim of the climate change protestors but I disagree with their actions. I would certainly boo or hurl abuse at them. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Southbank said:
    There are some good and some bad reasons for opposing taking the knee (all have been well aired before so no need to run through them).
    But of one thing I am sure, 'preaching' while  a football match is going on will address or change neither.
    I am one individual whose opinion differs.
    There are no good reasons for opposing taking the knee.
    Just because you agree with the aim, it doesn't mean you agree with the action.

After all the PL has stopped the taking the knee, other than for brief periods of the season, as it was achieving very little and had just become part of the furniture. 

And is there a shred of evidence that taking the knee has lessened racial abuse of footballers on social media, which is where is predominantly happens?
    If you agree with the aim, but disagree with the action (of taking the knee) why would anybody bother to boo it? It is over in seconds.
    People don’t boo the furniture.
    @seth plum. I agree with the aim of the climate change protestors but I disagree with their actions. I would certainly boo or hurl abuse at them. 
    As I said, it's over in seconds. It is our players who we turn up to support.
    Do you think that's a similar scenario to something like stopping motorway traffic?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s Brian’s script that’s the problem. He should learn from his impromptu whistle-halting success

”If you are thinking of shouting something hateful or anti-social, then stop it [pause for effect] Stop it now”

That’ll do the trick, no need for this texting nonsense 
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    I'm allowed to hate Millwall if I want to, always have and always will !

As for these " Nanny State" announcements, they are yet another example of the woke culture that has pervaded our club in recent years.

Us continuing to kneel, before our upright opponents, just prior to battle commencing, is a horrible look, that likely gives our opponents a phycological advantage.
    It also causes division amongst fans (why allienate half the fan base)?

As mentioned above, kneeling has done nothing to solve racism, and it was never likely to. Racism has never even been a major issue at our club!
    It's time for our team to stand up and fight like men, rather than rolling over and having our tummies ticked, as we once again did at Burton.
    Bang on the money mate...as usual.
    Shaking my head at both these posts.

Ask Ryan Inniss or Sean Clare what they think about taking the knee then eh? Giving the opposition an advantage lol

I have mixed race kids, so I know what it means, but I see the pros and cons. But WE do it and that's what WE do as a TEAM.

Racism has never been a problem at Charlton but taking the knee alienates half our fans? Really? FFS.

Edit. Kneeling won't solve racism, of course it won't, but it HIGHLIGHTS the inequality 
    Do you ever see a boxer kneeling at their opponents feet? No, they stand tall, and try to look each other in straight the eyes, even if one is six inches shorter than the other. Why? Because psychologically you do not want your opponent looking down at you.

And yes, statistically, half the electorate are indeed conservative by nature.

Conservatives generally do not like the Black Lives Matter movement from which all this taking of the knee at football matches started, following the George Floyd riots.

Conservatives believe that "all lives matter" equally.

Any visiting fans could be excused for thinking that Charlton are an incredibly racist club with a major problem within their fanbase for racism and hate speech, given the amount of virtue signalling that we display at every home game.

That is an insult to Charlton fans and our club.

We have never had a problem in that regard, and have actually lead the way, going way back to Ben Odeje and John Stenson.

Some of our biggest heroes are black, Morts, Sir Chris etc and long may it continue.

My kids are mixed race also BTW.
    They just dont get it mate. They make an issue that isnt there...
  • Options
    A while back I posted that someone in the know on here had said that the announcements were in response to actual incidents that had happened at The Valley either at the end of last season or this. Did I imagine that? Because I think if there have been incidents of hate we should all be concerned and while I don't think the announcements are particularly likely to solve things, ignoring it is an even worse option. 

• Options
    edited November 2022
    While in agreement to the content of the message, personally I don’t think  the club are in any position to preach on what’s acceptable behaviour towards others.
    Morning, sangaard, maloney and keohane 
  • Options

- whether you think its out of order for people to be abused for e.g. their race,  nationality,  gender or sexuality while at the Valley (putting aside other locations!!)

I'd like to think most people would agree that it is, but some posters in this thread have pretty much said they don't care, as far as I can see (not many, mind). 

- if its not OK for people to be abused for e.g. race, gender, nationality or sexuality at the Valley, is making announcements during the game an effective way to prevent/lessen this happening...

If no... stop it, surely 

If yes... then... what this thread seems to have been saying is that there needs to be a consideration of the balance of this benefit against the negative impact it is having on some people's match experiences...

Many of the comments against the announcements don't seem to have taken all of this into consideration.  There have been statements along the lines of "I don't come to the football to be lectured. This should stop." I get that, but we surely need to consider the people who being abused, too...no? Shouldn't we seek ways to stop people having those experiences?

I really don't accept all this although some of your were points are very valid. Putting signs up around the Valley would imo be both more effective and less intrusive than extremely loud announcements. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    redman said:

If no... stop it, surely 

I really don't accept all this although some of your were points are very valid. Putting signs up around the Valley would imo be both more effective and less intrusive than extremely loud announcements. 
    That’s fair, if your beef is solely with the noise of the information itself.  But would that stop the complaints?  I mean the thread went off several times moaning about kneeling, that’s not loud.