Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it wrong to feel that Charlton is no longer your priority on a match day

2»

Comments

• Options
    Couple of wins and a quality 3rd round away day and it’ll all come flooding back

at the moment though I’m genuinely more interested in the WC
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your old man @Oggy Red

Thanks, AFKA. Much appreciated, mate.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    As many of you know, I live a fair old distance from The Valley these days.
    That's not the club's fault, of course.

There is cost ..... cost of travelling from Cornwall to the other side of London. It's a long journey, very early start, very late return home.
    Plus the cost of watching the actual match.  I'm retired now and making do on State pension, so I have to be careful with every penny I spend.

Then there was Covid with the lockdown and matches played in empty stadiums.

In recent years, I'd invariably sit with my dear old Dad, planning my family visits around games.
    He was a season ticket holder into his late 80s and the reason I become an ardent Addick, first taking me to The Valley back in 1964.

He's gone now and I can't quite find the motivation to go back to The Valley, although I still take in occasional away games in the South West.

Sorry to hear that Oggy.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Oggy Red said:
    As many of you know, I live a fair old distance from The Valley these days.
    That's not the club's fault, of course.

There is cost ..... cost of travelling from Cornwall to the other side of London. It's a long journey, very early start, very late return home.
    Plus the cost of watching the actual match.  I'm retired now and making do on State pension, so I have to be careful with every penny I spend.

Then there was Covid with the lockdown and matches played in empty stadiums.

In recent years, I'd invariably sit with my dear old Dad, planning my family visits around games.
    He was a season ticket holder into his late 80s and the reason I become an ardent Addick, first taking me to The Valley back in 1964.

He's gone now and I can't quite find the motivation to go back to The Valley, although I still take in occasional away games in the South West.

Sorry to hear that Oggy.
    Cheers, Len.

• Options
    Stig said:
    It's your free time, you should do what you want with it. Hopefully soon Charlton will be playing entertaining, competitive, winning football and you'll want to plan your days around matches again. Until that time though you should feel free to pick more entertaining or at least, less frustrating, pursuits. There are no medals for going to football. 
    Don't tell Muttley.
  • Options
    Responding to the OP..no definitely not, enjoy the World Cup!
  • Options
    Just caught up here, very sorry to hear about your dad @Oggy Red

Roland Duchatalet killed it for me, it has never, ever been about how good we are or the quality of football. We'd be playing in front of about 15 people of it was after all 

Boycotting and the closure of the Liberal club coupled with Greenwich councils let's day enthusiastic approach to giving tickets for my old parking spots coupled with southeastern trains being fubar most weekends then lob in a few changes in my own life and all of a sudden the moody streams that I was watching us on when shitarse was systematically ruining 30 years of hard work became more appealing. 

In terms of the football all I've ever expected of a Charlton team is for the players to leave everything on the pitch but for whatever reason they decide to either not do what the manager says or to toss it off all too often for us to have much attachment to them. Apart from George Dobson, I love him. And the fact I love a defensive midfielder is pretty tragic. Our youngsters are sold before we can get any emotional attachment to them which is a sign of where we find ourselves, unless you are Real Madrid you are a selling club however it would be nice of we could hold onto them for a full season or even longer
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    @Oggy Red very sorry to read about the passing of your dad.
  • Options
    It’s not wrong, it is what it is.  I’m with many others at the moment, it’s the least I’ve cared about Charlton in my adult life.  
  • Options
    Lost my dad very very suddenly last year. Have just lost most of my interest in football, the succession of crap owners hasn't helped either but there's definitely a disconnect for me. Been offered tickets by other very well meaning family members but it just doesn't feel the same. 

Maybe one day it will come back but it feels very distant at the moment. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Lost my dad very very suddenly last year. Have just lost most of my interest in football, the succession of crap owners hasn't helped either but there's definitely a disconnect for me. Been offered tickets by other very well meaning family members but it just doesn't feel the same. 

Maybe one day it will come back but it feels very distant at the moment. 
    Sorry to hear about your dad @MarcusH26
  • Options
    Condolences for your loss @OggyRed
  • Options
    Have to fully agree with you @WhenIwasLittleBoy. I've supported this club since I was 5 yrs old, so 62 years, I'm a ST holder and also used to look forwards to doing the 'match threads' for about 5/6 years back in the day.
    However now I can't be bothered to spend, a bit like you, 8 to 10 hours on a Saturday travelling to and from a home match....so yes I've wasted my money on my ST this season, but I currently have no motivation. It's not just the football, which at times has been good, but the crap ownership that's done foe me (and I used to be a huge supporter of TS...but no longer)
    It's not getting old that's done for me, but the way the club is run with little to no ambition to get us out of this godforsaken league.
    I am obviously same age RM and feel the same, think the last 5 years have really taken a toll. Football is so crap but the way the club has been/ is being run just leaves me cold.

Used to go to every home and a number of aways, still a season ticket holder but may well be my last year.

To put things in perspective I am going to a Christmas fair tomorrow rather than the game, wouldn’t have even dreamed about doing that 5 years ago.

Sad days but honestly believe the end of the club is near under the current stewardship, so many things wrong with our club.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    It’s the worst of all times by a mile
    local rivals having nigh on the best times in their history at the same time we’re having our worst .

it hurts , it really hurts what a shithouse pathetic club we are but if we can hang on in and see through the pain maybe the good times will come again and we can shit on the scum and palace again…
    maybe our great great great grandkids may see that .
    As a pessimist even I didn’t expect us to be this shit but I did see our demise coming as soon as Curbs left the building (oh great we’ll have new grounds in the Championship to go too , it was boring in the prem … fuck off ) 

I feel for the kids , at least us older lot have lived through some good times , they’ll be tugging themselves off if we get to play orient next season , there can be no club with a duller league fixture list than ours in the whole of world football .

as for matchday priority as the kids arrived and other shit does priority’s change but last year was our first whole season as a family of 6 we went to loads of home games and it was enjoyable just being with them but we all have our personal circumstances as to how we get on with matchdays .

i’m sure everyone would feel differently if we were a league higher and had fixtures that aren’t so dull ,don’t hold your breath though waiting on that 
  • Options
    Shame for me also.
    Took my son to a few games when he was around 7 years old.
    Moved to Blackfen from Charlton shortly after.
    Went over Welling and he loved it.
    Got to meet players regularly and was awarded.a match ball for helping throw the ball back during pre-match warm up.
    This was from forward who got the ball for a hat trick.
    To me, being able to have this sort of interaction with players/managers (there have been many), is what it’s all about.
    Coupled with relaxed rules regarding where to stand, have a beer/smoke, and the fact both sets of supporters integrate is what it should be about.
    No ludicrous wages and the fact every penny spent is clearly needed within the club.
    Season ticket holders for past 7 years and go most home/away games (in the South league anyway).
    A pleasure spending quality time with my son, chewing the fat on a Saturday evening train London bound from one southern coastal town or another.
    Sorry, but you couldn’t give away a ticket to Charlton to either of us, and that hurts after spending my youth following them across the country. 

3 adult tickets for £33 if your interested. Maybe the marketing at Charlton could learn a thing or two?

https://ticketpass.org/o/692994228/welling-united-fc/events
  • Options
    @Oggy Red mate, sorry to hear about your Dad, he'll be having a chat about all things Charlton with my old man

• Options
    @Oggy Red mate, sorry to hear about your Dad, he'll be having a chat about all things Charlton with my old man

Thanks, Danny - yep, they met on the old Lewises away coach back in the early 70s, and of course the now legendary (for some of us old gits) LAC Rovers FC.

Great days.  Take care, mate.  @Elthamaddick