Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Freddie Flintoff

edited December 2022 in Not Sports Related
Been airlifted to hospital after car crash while filming Top Gear. Haven’t seen anyone reporting his condition which is extremely concerning.

Comments

• Just read a BBC article that reports that his condition is not life threatening which is a relief.
  • There’s always an accident waiting to happen on Top Gear. Flintoff is a cricketer and McGuiness a comic. They ain’t racing drivers. Didn’t Richard Hammond have a serious accident a few years back 
  • _MrDick said:
    There’s always an accident waiting to happen on Top Gear. Flintoff is a cricketer and McGuiness a comic. They ain’t racing drivers. Didn’t Richard Hammond have a serious accident a few years back 
    Hammond has had multiple horror crashes. It's certainly a dangerous job! 
  • James May had a horrible one on the latest Grand Tour Special too 
  • Is now time to reduce the stunts on Top Gear before someone is killed.There has now been near fatal crashes Iam not being a killjoy because I dont like the programme.Top gear
     has changed so much since the 50s/60s when it all about new cars and their pros and cons.I remember Noel Edmonds programme when a stunt went wrong.Please BBC tone it
     down about as to not put lives at risk.
  • driving very powerful cars at very high speeds is a dangerous job .. get well soon Freddie
    That was stupid, driving in a dark tunnel into a concrete wall. I'm surprised that was signed off by health and safety 
    That was stupid, driving in a dark tunnel into a concrete wall. I'm surprised that was signed off by health and safety 
    Yes - that was very silly!
  • edited December 2022
    _MrDick said:
    There’s always an accident waiting to happen on Top Gear. Flintoff is a cricketer and McGuiness a comic. They ain’t racing drivers. Didn’t Richard Hammond have a serious accident a few years back 
    The cynic in me thinks that they just put it down to good publicity for a new series coming out. 
  • I'd always assumed that Freddie and the No Likey No Lighty fella had to do some kind of racing licence to drive cars at speed around the race tracks/runways as they wouldnt be able to get insurance?

As for the May/Captain Slow crash in that tunnel, christ he was lucky.  I thought they were bloody mental doing that, even before Jezza done the first run.  
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2022
    Do racing drivers need to have different lincense? Or do the team or in this case broadcasting companies cover any extra insurance?
  • I do think sometimes 'risk ' is misunderstood. 

Such a show is not (cannot?) be risk free. There are steps to mitigate and also to respond if the risk materialises but it is the 'risk' which sells the programme in the first place.  Also of course clever editing / camera angles etc. to exaggerate speed / danger helps too

People do not watch plain / vanilla programmes if there is an alternate more exciting choice.

In this instance we don't yet know what happened. Regardless it will influence the show going forward.
  • _MrDick said:
    The cynic in me thinks that they just put it down to good publicity for a new series coming out. 
    Really hope he recovers fully and isn’t suffering, I bet the production team were straight onto the press when it happened 🤔
  • Their insurance premiums must be astronomical.😲
  • Broken rib & facial injuries.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    I'd always assumed that Freddie and the No Likey No Lighty fella had to do some kind of racing licence to drive cars at speed around the race tracks/runways as they wouldnt be able to get insurance?

As for the May/Captain Slow crash in that tunnel, christ he was lucky. I thought they were bloody mental doing that, even before Jezza done the first run.  

Flintoff does have his racing driver's licence now.

• _MrDick said:
    Flintoff also does some ridiculous stunts like the car bungee jump off of a dam. Balls of steel but completely unnecessary.
  • _MrDick said:
    Flintoff also does some ridiculous stunts like the car bungee jump off of a dam. Balls of steel but completely unnecessary.
    Didn’t he smash up a rally car in ALOTO?