Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Bristol Rovers | Saturday 17th December 2022 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Bristol Rovers
Saturday 17th December 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Sam Allison

Introduction
The Addicks return to action this coming Saturday after having had the previous week off - Temperatures have dropped, with ice and snow in the region meaning that our last encounter at Morecambe was forced to be cancelled due to a frozen pitch - With no signs of an incoming Manager, it has given both Anthony Hayes and Jason Pearce more time to worth with the squad, ahead of the visit of Bristol Rovers this coming Saturday.

The Opposition
Name: Bristol Rovers (12th) | Manager: Joey Barton
Ground: Memorial Stadium
Previous League Result: Bristol Rovers 1-0 Port Vale

Well its not like League Two isn't used to creating legendary moments, Jimmy Glass for one will always be a name linked with the fourth tier of English Football, and the exploits of Bristol Rovers will now surely join them - Going into the last game of the season; Bristol Rovers knew they needed to beat already relegated: Scunthorpe United by a hefty score line if they wanted to leap frog Northampton Town into the final automatic spot - Winning 7-0 of course meant promotion was confirmed in dramatic fashion, however the fact that Bristol Rovers hadn't been in the top three all season (until that point) really did epitomise why our visitors this Saturday are nicknamed the Pirates!!

It meant that Bristol Rovers made an instant return to League One having been relegated in 2020-21 - This season is once again proving to be a tight affair (the fact the Addicks sit seven points from the Play-Offs in 18th) but Bristol Rovers have made their own steady return sitting "comfortably" in mid-table - Just the one defeat since October has seen the Pirates climbing up the table and could themselves technically end Saturday level on points with 6th spot.

Aaron Collins is naturally the danger man for Bristol Rovers, having scored 11-goals this campaign yet could be absent this Saturday after being forced off in an EFL Trophy win over Milton Keynes in midweek - I would say stop the source and you stop the goals, however on an impressive note: Collins is also top of the assist charts for his club with seven this term.

Charlton Team News
There was good news reported this week with the impending return of both Miles Leaburn and Terrell Thomas - Neither will be in contention this Saturday, yet is a good sign of injuries dropping - Jayden Stockley of course will now be available again after suspension and should start tomorrow, the Striker has been lacking in front of goal this season, however his idiotic absence brought further imbalance in recent games, to a squad that often plays like a group of strangers!!

MacGillivray
Clare - Inniss - Lavelle - Sessegnon
Rak-Sakyi - Dobson - Fraser - Kirk
Jaiyesimi - Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Mitchell - Chin - Payne - Morgan - Blackett-Taylor - Aneke

Comments

• Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic vs Bristol Rovers
    Saturday 17th December 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Sam Allison

Introduction
    The Addicks return to action this coming Saturday after having had the previous week off - Temperatures have dropped, with ice and snow in the region meaning that our last encounter at Morecambe was forced to be cancelled due to a frozen pitch - With no signs of an incoming Manager, it has given both Anthony Hayes and Jason Pearce more time to worth with the squad, ahead of the visit of Bristol Rovers this coming Saturday.

The Opposition
    Name: Bristol Rovers (12th) | Manager: Joey Barton
    Ground: Memorial Stadium
    Previous League Result: Bristol Rovers 1-0 Port Vale

Well its not like League Two isn't used to creating legendary moments, Jimmy Glass for one will always be a name linked with the fourth tier of English Football, and the exploits of Bristol Rovers will now surely join them - Going into the last game of the season; Bristol Rovers knew they needed to beat already relegated: Scunthorpe United by a hefty score line if they wanted to leap frog Northampton Town into the final automatic spot - Winning 7-0 of course meant promotion was confirmed in dramatic fashion, however the fact that Bristol Rovers hadn't been in the top three all season (until that point) really did epitomise why our visitors this Saturday are nicknamed the Pirates!!

It meant that Bristol Rovers made an instant return to League One having been relegated in 2020-21 - This season is once again proving to be a tight affair (the fact the Addicks sit seven points from the Play-Offs in 18th) but Bristol Rovers have made their own steady return sitting "comfortably" in mid-table - Just the one defeat since October has seen the Pirates climbing up the table and could themselves technically end Saturday level on points with 6th spot.

Aaron Collins is naturally the danger man for Bristol Rovers, having scored 11-goals this campaign yet could be absent this Saturday after being forced off in an EFL Trophy win over Milton Keynes in midweek - I would say stop the source and you stop the goals, however on an impressive note: Collins is also top of the assist charts for his club with seven this term.

Charlton Team News
    There was good news reported this week with the impending return of both Miles Leaburn and Terrell Thomas - Neither will be in contention this Saturday, yet is a good sign of injuries dropping - Jayden Stockley of course will now be available again after suspension and should start tomorrow, the Striker has been lacking in front of goal this season, however his idiotic absence brought further imbalance in recent games, to a squad that often plays like a group of strangers!!

MacGillivray
    Clare - Inniss - Lavelle - Sessegnon
    Rak-Sakyi - Dobson - Fraser - Kirk
    Jaiyesimi - Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Mitchell - Chin - Payne - Morgan - Blackett-Taylor - Aneke
    Mitchell, CBT and Campbell for Lavelle , Kirk and DJ, for me. DJ looked way off it against Cheltenham 
  • Options
    A must win that we will probably lose. Can't see us beating Rovers. Draw at very best.
  • Options
    Worst thing for me MacGillivray. After his massive cock up against Cheltenham, he should be dropped for AMB. 

Not hopeful for this but hopefully we sneak a 1-0 win or something. 
  • Options
    Worst thing for me MacGillivray. After his massive cock up against Cheltenham, he should be dropped for AMB. 

Not hopeful for this but hopefully we sneak a 1-0 win or something. 
    He also could have done better for the 2nd goal against Stockport, still looked like it went through his fingers
  • Options
    I think that team is likely to be the correct starting eleven. I would prefer to see Payne up front in place of  DJ.

As for the result: Who knows? Certainly not me. Can we scrape a win somehow? I hope so, but would take a draw.
  • Options
    Clubs with poor records at the Valley have improved them in recent seasons.
    Bristol R not won at the Valley since March 1958!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If it's not off, then I'd go for :smile:

Maynard-brewer
    Clare Mitchell, Ness, Sessegnon
    Rak-Sayki, Campbell, Dobson, Fraser, 
    Stockley, Payne

The young defenders showed the old'uns how to play with commitment and no little skill an d composure@
    (Bet it's postponed tho')
  • Options
    start with Aneke and Stockley and bring a knackered Aneke off after we're 4 nil up ..
    in the real world, I am always in favour of starting with the more talented walking wounded, infirm, knackered or just lazy and replacing them when necessary with the fitter but less talented rather than the other way round. Our injury list is still both long and long lasting, so we make do and mend yet again.
    The Gas like us can score a few but concede too many, they've taken 8 points from their last five games compared to our 2 from five, they are in decent form, we are in the dumps. All points (not) to a home win

CAFC 2 v Bristol Rovers 0
  • Options
    Hoping it is off with yet more recovery time for the walking wounded. Think it will be on and with a good record against this lot finally a win, 1-0, Stockley.
  • Options
    You can tell everyone has given up simply by the lack of posts on this thread. 
  • Options
    Last 10 home league games for Charlton v Bristol Rovers 

Won: 8
    Draws: 2
    Defeats: 0
    GF: 27
    GA: 10

Charlton are unbeaten in their last 10 games home and away against Rovers and unbeaten in their last 20 home games against the gas. 

The last home defeat back in 1958.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Charlton are unbeaten in their last 10 games home and away against Rovers and unbeaten in their last 20 home games against the gas. 

The last home defeat back in 1958.
    That's that, then. We all know what happens next. :neutral:

• Options
    You can tell everyone has given up simply by the lack of posts on this thread. 
    I guess you haven't given up then.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    ................... AMB
    .........Clare Inniss Mitchell 
    DJ Fraser Dobbo Morgan Sess
    .......... JRS..... Stockley (C) 

Macca, Lavelle, Chin, Payne, CBT, Kirk, Aneke

1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it's on !! .. a chance for us to get nearer the play offs  :)
    Bit early to start drinking for Christmas isnt it?
    hic 
  • Options
    0-9
  • Options
    0-9
    This was funny the first time I saw it.. ;)
  • Options
    Have a feeling we’re going to put on a very impressive display and be in touching distance of the top 6. 

I will caveat that statement with I’m 6 pints deep. 
  • Options
    I wasn't going to read this thread, as I was assuming it would be off and I could have a nice warm afternoon watching the pointless 3rd place playoff and getting ready for Strictly tonight  :)
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Thankfully I'm pretty ill with Covid so I can't make it
    Just got over it myself, hope you feel better.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Smithy said:
    Thankfully I'm pretty ill with Covid so I can't make it

Faking illness to avoid work is poor show, but doing it to avoid Charlton? Man up and admit you're going to spend the afternoon down the pub :D
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    No MacGillivray at all - Leaburn really has been rushed back