Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ANNUAL MEMORIAL GAME SET FOR JANUARY 7TH

Fans can now submit the names of family, friends and colleagues for the Addicks' annual memorial match at The Valley.

Tributes will be paid ahead of Charlton's Sky Bet League One fixture against Lincoln City on Saturday, January 7th (3pm), with fans, players and officials from both clubs uniting for a period of applause to remember all those connected to the two teams who have passed over the past 12 months.

A list of names will appear in that day's Valley Review, as well as on the club website, and will scroll up the big screen while the memorial takes place on matchday.

Supporters are invited to submit the names of their loved ones to be remembered before the deadline of 12pm on Tuesday, January 3rd.

All of the names which have appeared in the Deaths section of the matchday programme's personals page since the last tribute in January 2021 will automatically be added to the list for the applause, as will the names of those supporters whose ashes have been scattered in the memorial garden at The Valley during this period of time.

Fans can send in names for the memorial by emailing memorial@cafc.co.uk or calling 020 8333 4000.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/annual-memorial-game-set-january-7th

Comments

• Options
    It’s really quite short notice for this. I know of someone who travels down from Scotland for it in memory of her husband. She was expecting it to be later in January. 
  • Options
    I understood when Olly was at our club, items for the Valley Review had to be "in" by Wednesday of the week before the matchday Saturday.

If this is still the case, there are few working days for fans to make the required contact bearing in mind the 2 Bank Holidays between now and January 4th.

And more concerning for those that don't read the OS & depend on the matchday programme for their information, especially if tomorrow's game is called off. 

Forward planning is clearly not a priority these days...
  • Options
    It’s really quite short notice for this. I know of someone who travels down from Scotland for it in memory of her husband. She was expecting it to be later in January. 
    You have until the 3rd January to
    get your requests in. How long would you like the club to give notice? Maybe something you can raise on the next’s fans forum
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    get your requests in. How long would you like the club to give notice? Maybe something you can raise on the next’s fans forum
    It’s not about getting requests in. It’s about planning a round trip of c 1,000 miles. Flight and train costs increase significantly within two to three weeks of travel. The person I am thinking of believed the memorial game would be at the end of January, not the beginning. She is not a big football fan herself but aims to attend the memorial match as her husband’s ashes are scattered at The Valley.

The Fans’ Forum is a quarterly meeting so the next one of those will be too late. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    shirty5 said:
    It’s not about getting requests in. It’s about planning a round trip of c 1,000 miles. Flight and train costs increase significantly within two to three weeks of travel. The person I am thinking of believed the memorial game would be at the end of January, not the beginning. She is not a big football fan herself but aims to attend the memorial match as her husband’s ashes are scattered at The Valley.

The Fans’ Forum is a quarterly meeting so the next one of those will be too late. 
    I have no problem having a pop at the club, however how many clubs in England have a memorial garden where you can make arrangements and spread ashes at a time of mutual agreement of fellow Charlton fans as is possible within the corner of the Jimmy Seed and Alan Curbishley’s stands.

A very good friend of mine’s ashes have been spread there

• Options
    Most clubs do have a memorial garden for ashes to be scattered. Ours is unusual because it is within sight of the pitch.
  • Options
    Most clubs do have a memorial garden for ashes to be scattered. Ours is unusual because it is within sight of the pitch.

... To die, to sleep,
    To sleep, perchance to dream; aye, there's the rub,
    For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,
    When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
    Must give us pause ...
    Ah feck’en ‘ell, no… not again!
  • Options
    Are there many spots left? I am being very serious.