Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The pivot point where the club reversed gears

In my opinion it was the sale of Scotty Parker to Chelsea.

That was the moment for me that signified we had come as far as we were going to at that point.

It’s never dull being a Charlton fan and it’s going to be a long haul back.

I only hope I live to see it.

Comments

• Options
    Our best Premiership season, arguably, came after the Parker sale. Wasn't that at all. 

The 5-2 defeat to Sheffield United that did for Pardew felt like some sort of Great Fall. Proud to say I was there :/
  • Options
    Agreed our season was after the Parker sale was good  but if we had kept Parker then I think we could have qualified for Europe and then we would have gone up to another level as a club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Murray’s mid life crisis 
  • Options
    Replacing Curbs with Dowie, but also giving a load of money to waste on transfers. Was really, really dumb at the time and in hindsight looks absolutely criminal.

That being said even after that they had a chance to stabilise the club as a championship side and they massively failed to do that and it's been battling against the financial limitations of those actions ever since. 
  • Options
    The point is was that the last club was not offered for sale after our high point in the prem. There was a lot of money sloshing about then and it would not have been difficult to find a buyer. 
    But Murray in his arrogance thought he could continue to run a prem club on a shoe string by the standards of the time. Which kent going for bargain basement players.
    Oh for being owned by an Oligarch of the time.
  • Options
    Defo Dowie appointment

First home game that season, after 20 mins, I turned to my later Father and said ‘we are going to get relegated’ - he was aghast I said that - about 5 games later, he agreed with me

Look at the money they gave Dowie, and the shower of shit players he wasted it on - Ambrose, Hasselbaink, Traore, Faye - we only won 8 games that season, minus 26 goal difference 

That season was simply horrific 
  • Options
    Parker 
  • Options
    Selling Andy Reid - We MAY have bounced back to the Premier League at the first time of asking, probably would have needed the Play-Offs as West Brom and Stoke were too good that season.

However our season ended the moment we let Reid go, and replaced him with Andy Gray

That was our season done in January, and we've been in free fall ever since
  • Options
    ValleyDan said:
    In my opinion it was the sale of Scotty Parker to Chelsea.

That was the moment for me that signified we had come as far as we were going to at that point.

It’s never dull being a Charlton fan and it’s going to be a long haul back.

I only hope I live to see it.

Agree with this 100%.

Regardless what happened the next season - the fact that we were willing to let our key player go to (at the time) a direct competitor in league standing showed what we were and the limit of our ambitions.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Not moving heaven and earth to keep Curbishley and fund him.

That dodgy decision v Fulham too.
    That decision 're Fulham is a good shout though I don't remember the full context from the time.

I recall they got one of those mad 'should never be given' free kicks out wide late on (last minute) from which they scored. It was unjust and I could not believe a Fulham fan at work gloating about it the next day. 

Having looked in to the results around that time, I'm none the wiser as to why this result was so crushing. It was cerianly an unjust decision in a game where we fully deserved a win. 27th December 2006. 2-2. We were 19th in the table at the time. Had beaten Blackburn 4 games previously (talal, last minute, free kick?), and beat villa at home 3 days after this Fulham game.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Dropping out of the Premier League and not getting back at the first attempt. The rest is simply noise.
  • Options
    It was letting Curbs go that was pivotal. Yes, Dowie was a terrible decision, as was the timing of selling Andy Reid (though Murray said we couldn't stand in his way of doubling his wages), but if Curbs could have been persuaded to stay with a stop-gap filler to give him some time off, the Charlton world may have been a better place. Selling Parker in 2004 was bad, but we did invest quite well and with Paulo, Kish, Bartlett, Euell and JJ, plus England full-backs, it was all quite good until 2005...
  • Options
    Allowing Dowie and Pardew to spend over the budget. That's led to a series of terrible owners. Crazy that ten years ago under Powell having destroyed League One I thought we were on our way back.

Annoying when you look at how well they've replaced managers over in Surrey.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I think people misremember the impact of the Parker sale. He was a good player, but we were a better team the next season. 

The clear “pivot point” was Dowie replacing Curbishley. Everything basically flows from that situation.
    How was the team better the next season. We finished a lot lower down the table
  • Options
    Turning point was Murray and his vendetta to Simon Jordan .