Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World cup winners who have then played at the Valley?

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Blucher said:
    George Cohen for Fulham in or around October 1968 ?
    Have any of his nephew's crew played in a charity game? 

What about Broncos games?  We counting them :p
  • Options
    We beat Fulham 5-3 in that game. My dad was sad because the crowd were laughing at misplaced passes from an aged and ineffective Johnny Haynes, who dad had seen at his imperious peak.

I remember seeing two other England right backs at The Valley in 68/69, albeit not World Cup winners - Jimmy Armfield for Blackpool in a 0-0 draw and the then Blackburn defender, Keith Newton, who played in the 1970 World Cup.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    The away league fixture at Craven Cottage but not at the Valley 
  • Options
    Barthez, the Man Utd goalie.
  • Options
    Karembeu for Middlesbrough in early 2000s ?
  • Options
    Marco Materazzi played at The Valley, pre World Cup win
  • Options
    Alberto Tarantini (Argentina/Birmingham)
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    We beat Fulham 5-3 in that game. My dad was sad because the crowd were laughing at misplaced passes from an aged and ineffective Johnny Haynes, who dad had seen at his imperious peak.

I remember seeing two other England right backs at The Valley in 68/69, albeit not World Cup winners - Jimmy Armfield for Blackpool in a 0-0 draw and the then Blackburn defender, Keith Newton, who played in the 1970 World Cup.
    Wasn't Jimmy Armfield in the 66 squad?
  • Options
    Nobby Stiles for Preston North End when we won promotion in 1975
  • Options
    He certainly was but lost his place to Cohen in the lead up to the 1966 World Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We played West Ham in a friendly on the Friday before 4th round day 1971. Bobby Moore played as he was coming back from his ban for going AOL before 3rd round game at Blackpool.
    Pretty sure Hurst and Peters didn't play but as posted before Peters played later at the Valley for Sheff U and Norwich in a friendly.
    I never got to see Roger Hunt as he was a unused sub for Bolton when we beat them 4 1  which was strange

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Geoff Hurst? W Ham, Stoke
    No
    I am sure I saw Geoff Hurst at The Valley lwifh West Ham late sixties or early seventies. Remember being a bit shocked that he swore like a trouper.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    No
    I am sure I saw Geoff Hurst at The Valley lwifh West Ham late sixties or early seventies. Remember being a bit shocked that he swore like a trouper.
    Can’t have been in a League or cup game after 1966. He played in a league game for West Brom in 1975 against us at the Hawthorns
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Blucher said:
    He certainly was but lost his place to Cohen in the lead up to the 1966 World Cup.
    Can we have a Steward's, or a Stuart's, on Jimmy Armfield?

Although he certainly wouldn't have got a medal before he played at the Valley.

Was the Southampton winger, Payne I think, in the world cup winning squad? He is a candidate.
  • Options
    McCartney said:
    We played West Ham in a friendly on the Friday before 4th round day 1971. Bobby Moore played as he was coming back from his ban for going AOL before 3rd round game at Blackpool.
    Pretty sure Hurst and Peters didn't play but as posted before Peters played later at the Valley for Sheff U and Norwich in a friendly.
    I never got to see Roger Hunt as he was a unused sub for Bolton when we beat them 4 1  which was strange

Great post - exactly what I was hoping for when I made the OP - was there a buzz about it in the ground like there would be today? 
  • Options
    Good thread!

but a short list, so can we add losers as well?

Alou Diarra
    Just because he played for us under Roland, a bit harsh to call him a loser  ;)
  • Options
    I would have thought it is fairly unlikely we will see Brighton's Macallister on Wednesday night... but it did get me thinking, how many (and who) have ever won a world cup and then subsequently played on the REAL big stage in a competitive game?

I haven't googled it or anything so I have no real idea; I'm thinking Desailly? Petit? Leboeuf? I imagine some of the 66 England world cup winners did? (just a bit before my time)

Any glaring ones i've forgotten?

As you say unlikely he would be playing. But can you imagine winning the world cup Sunday in Qatar and playing at a wet and cold Valley against lower third tier opposition on Wednesday. Now that would be reality check!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    I would have thought it is fairly unlikely we will see Brighton's Macallister on Wednesday night... but it did get me thinking, how many (and who) have ever won a world cup and then subsequently played on the REAL big stage in a competitive game?

I haven't googled it or anything so I have no real idea; I'm thinking Desailly? Petit? Leboeuf? I imagine some of the 66 England world cup winners did? (just a bit before my time)

As you say unlikely he would be playing. But can you imagine winning the world cup Sunday in Qatar and playing at a wet and cold Valley against lower third tier opposition on Wednesday. Now that would be reality check!
    if I was him i'd 100% be there. don't care how hung over - imagine winning the world fucking cup - i'd be on a football league tour, premier league tour... i'd be telling everyone and their grannies that I just hit the pinnacle of my career. I don't think playing football after a world cup win can feel any better. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    imagine sitting out games when you just proved you are the best in the world. Not on your nelly.. this isn't a summer world cup where you go on holiday after. It's barely mid season 
  • Options
    imagine sitting out games when you just proved you are the best in the world. Not on your nelly.. this isn't a summer world cup where you go on holiday after. It's barely mid season 
    "Alexis do you want to come back to Buenos Aires for a week of celebrations, being feted as national heroes?

No, I need to get back to Brighton. We'll never beat Charlton on Wednesday unless all the first teamers play, especially under their inspirational new boss Dean Holden."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kap10 said:

if I was him i'd 100% be there. don't care how hung over - imagine winning the world fucking cup - i'd be on a football league tour, premier league tour... i'd be telling everyone and their grannies that I just hit the pinnacle of my career. I don't think playing football after a world cup win can feel any better. 
    That would be playing in front of your home fans though. I'm sure Kane, Saka, Maguire etc would love to be playing straight away back in England as World Cup winners and national heroes, but it's hardly the same if you're playing in another country. I'm sure the French public will be respectful to Messi, but they'll hardly treat him as a hero for beating France in the final  :D
  • Options
    "Alexis do you want to come back to Buenos Aires for a week of celebrations, being feted as national heroes?

No, I need to get back to Brighton. We'll never beat Charlton on Wednesday unless all the first teamers play, especially under their inspirational new boss Dean Holden."
    #killerandkilljoy

just trying to keep the collective chin ups mate ;)
  • Options
    no offence killer... there is plenty of threads for negativity, I was there on Saturday too. 
  • Options
    Tony Pawson. Charlton and a world champion?
  • Options
    Ray Wilson played for Huddersfield at The Valley before he was a WC winner
  • Options
    Blucher said:

The first game I remember going to at The Valley. Charlton 5 Fulham 3. Thought it was 1969?
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Have any of his nephew's crew played in a charity game? 

What about Broncos games?  We counting them :p
    Off the top of my head Jim Dymock and Steve Renouf
  • Options
    Blucher said:

I remember Keith Newton also, at the time he was playing in Div2 (championship) whilst being selected for England
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    No
    Can’t have been in a League or cup game after 1966. He played in a league game for West Brom in 1975 against us at the Hawthorns

Found it! We had a Friendly against West Ham on Friday 22 January 1971. The team listed in the programme included not only Geoff Hurst, but also Billy Bonds, Trevor Brooking and a certain Harry Redknapp. Someone else said that Bobby Moore also played, but he is not listed in the programme. Perhaps a late change?

Charlton: Wright; Curtis; Bruck; Moore; Went; Shipperley; Davies; Treacy; Plumb; Bond; Kenning

West Ham: Grotier; McDowell; Lampard; Bonds; Taylor; Howe; Redknapp; Lindsay; Hurst; Brooking; Eustace

Can't remember the score or been able to find it.

• Options
    Blucher said:

The first game I remember going to at The Valley. Charlton 5 Fulham 3. Thought it was 1969?
    30 November 1968