Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sense v Sense / China Girl v China Girl

In the wake of Terry Hall's sad passing, i was trawling his back catalogue last night.

Hall's 1994 record Home contains a version of the track Sense, which was co-written with Ian Broudie. Lightning Seeds recorded their version and released it two years prior.

This got me thinking about co-written and released alt versions of the same song. However, the only other one i could think of was the Bowie/Iggy Pop floor filler, China Girl, Iggy Pop - May 1977 and Bowie - May 1983.

There must be others out there, any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    In the wake of Terry Hall's sad passing, i was trawling his back catalogue last night.

Hall's 1994 record Home contains a version of the track Sense, which was co-written with Ian Broudie. Lightning Seeds recorded their version and released it two years prior.

This got me thinking about co-written and released alt versions of the same song. However, the only other one i could think of was the Bowie/Iggy Pop floor filler, China Girl, Iggy Pop - May 1977 and Bowie - May 1983.

There must be others out there, any ideas?
    Terry Hall has another one. Our Lips are Sealed, co-written with Jane Wiedlin of the Go-Go's.

I much prefer the Fun Boy Three version, which is more atmospheric and sombre
  • Options
    Our Lips Are Sealed is new wave classic, I didn't know that the Go Go's were involved in the writing. Thanks for the nod.
  • Options
    Read it in Books - Teardrop Explodes and Echo and Bunnymen.
    Killer - Adamski/Seal

I much prefer the GoGo's OLAS...
  • Options
    If I've got this right, Billy Bragg wrote A New England for Kirsty McColl then realised it himself.
  • Options
    Bowie , All the Young Dudes / Mott the Hoople 
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    Did Mott, or a member of, co-write it?
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    Bowie wrote All the Young Dudes and then just gave the song to Mott the Hoople, sleeve notes credit Bowie. In fact the Mott the Hoople had spit up, the story goes that he wrote the song to save them. Bowie was churning out so much material in the early 70s he could just shit a song like that out in 90 minutes.
  • Options
    All The Young Dudes live - David Bowie, Queen, Mott The Hoople plus Mick Ronson - featuring Ian Hunter on lead vocals and Bowie on backing vocals and sax. There have been worst lineups to take to the stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6u4RCf688A
  • Options
    Stig said:
    If I've got this right, Billy Bragg wrote A New England for Kirsty McColl then realised it himself.
    Bragg wrote and recorded A New England it's on his 1983 album Life's A Riot With Spy vs Spy

Kirsty MacColl (married at the time to producer Steve Lillywhite) recorded a cover, she wanted a third verse and went back to Bragg who obliged.
    KM also amended her lyrics to the perspective of a female addressing a male.

For the musos MacColl's version is in a different key to Bragg's

Bragg often performs the 3 verse version live by way of reference and tribute to his departed friend.  MacColl also sang on Bragg's "Sexuality" single.
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    Did Mott, or a member of, co-write it?
    God no.
    Bowie never officially released a version of All the Young Dudes.
    His "demo" was put out much later in the era of remasters and reissues.
    He also offered Mott "Drive in Saturday" as a follow-up but they declined, preferring it seems to stick with their own brand of clichéd blokishness