Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ground Issues Last Night

Does leave me questioning at times whether The Valley is still fully fit for purpose for big crowds since the automated turnstiles were put in.

At 7.30 the queue for the East Stand was 10-15 mins, managed to get in just before KO. From what others have said we were lucky, and they had to open gates in the end to get people in. For a full house I can understand it, but from looking at the seat plans in the afternoon I knew the stand was around a fifth full at best

All other stands had I assume similar problems?. Reading the Brighton site it seems they had queues for tickets etc for over 2hrs And a nightmare outside the ground. 

At the end of the game, many in the East climbed the steps to the Bartram Gate as usual only to find the gate was locked and with no stewarding. It’s open every game so no logical reason it wasn’t other than the organisation behind the scenes is a shambles. At the minimum there should have been an announcement given. Really felt for some old people who’d got to the top and we’re now having to walk all the way back down to the Harvey Gardens exit to then turn right to walk all the way back up the hill to effectively where they were.

When we get anything approaching a half full stand then the East and West Lower concourses are practically immovable due to the blockage for the refreshment outlets and not big enough areas etc 

I honestly don’t know how the ground used to function with 27k every week when it copes so difficulty at less than two thirds that 

Comments

• Options
    Got to covered end lower turnstiles around 715pm, no issues. Maybe a case of many turning up 10mins before ko?
  • Options
    yep got at north upper turnstiles at 7.20 and straight in and to the bar for a pint of grolsch which wasn't bad tbh 
  • Options
    The fact there were no stewards on hand to help when tickets weren't scanning was mind blowing. 
  • Options
    I was fine going into the West. At 715 it took me 5 minutes and my mobile ticket scanned fine.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    The fact there were no stewards on hand to help when tickets weren't scanning was mind blowing. 
    There seemed to be a real lack of stewards anywhere 
  • Options
    Remember, we may have four new shiny people employed on the playing side but the day to day running is still tinpot.
    And Mick was sick at home poor fella.
    So the fact that there wasn’t any serious issues? We got away with one I think,

That side of the club needs addressing asap imho.
  • Options
    unfrounately i go to arsenal sometimes with the other half - and the same issues there everyone leaves it until last min to get in and queues start to form. 
  • Options
    Number of stewards did seem low last night, seemed clear at FT when some from upper tier went across the empty corner section to wish the Brighton fans a good trip home. There were next to no stewards getting involved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With your mobile tickets it helps if you have the brightness turned up to max on your phone
    And crucially hold the thing still
    Do Not move it about above the scanner
    Give the scanner a couple of seconds to register the image
    Allowing at least 15 minutes to get to your seat before kick off always a good idea Half an hour even better
  • Options
    Looks like they need to replace a few bulbs too judging by that photo.
  • Options
    The person in front of me had six tickets on his phone so had to scroll  up each time to let his party in took an age.
  • Options
    Arrived at 7.35, later than we wanted after traffic delays. Tickets wouldn't scan, so steward directed us to the exit gate, where we were let in. Got in at 7.52. Should have left earlier.
  • Options
    We are so used to turning up 5 minutes before the match and going straight in. I arrived at Covered end upper 10 minutes before ko and missed the first 10 minutes. 
  • Options
    yep got at north upper turnstiles at 7.20 and straight in and to the bar for a pint of grolsch which wasn't bad tbh 
    Yep same (although I had a pint of Meantime!)
  • Options
    I blame print at home.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Arrived at 7.35, later than we wanted after traffic delays. Tickets wouldn't scan, so steward directed us to the exit gate, where we were let in. Got in at 7.52. Should have left earlier.
    But then you’d have missed the penalties 😂
  • Options
    Yeah I turned up at 7:43, a good two minutes before the start and amazingly I had to queue, meaning I missed kick off. Absolute libbo.
  • Options
    I would suggest that they repeat the short video on how to use the scanners whenever we have a cup game or a special offer, or better still put up clear instructions at the turnstiles.
    Still amazed at some of the attempts to scan tickets, even by season ticket holders.
    You don’t even need to open the wallet.

No sure more stewards would have helped. Never noticed them showing anyone how it should be scanned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    The person in front of me had six tickets on his phone so had to scroll  up each time to let his party in took an age.
    yeah this was me as well, had 3 tickets on my phone and had to manage getting the kids in which all took alot longer than just tapping my ST
  • Options
    Arrived 25 mins early at Bartram entrance. Steward just looked at the mobile and didn’t scan it. Didn’t check bag.

Asked to show ticket going to my seat in the east stand which is a first.

Bartram exit closed at full time with no indication why. 

• Options
    Got to the ground just after 7, burger outside & in the ground just after 7.15. East Stand turnstiles a bit busier than usual but queues only had 4 or 5 people in each & got through very easily. I think having to scan a printed copy (which I always do) rather than a phone helps. Seemed to me all those taking ages to get through had tickets on their phones rather than printed out on paper.

Didn't notice lack of stewards & even got asked for my ticket before taking my seat. I think some people don't think there is going to be a difference when there are twice as many people in attendance. Who knew  ??? 
  • Options
    Got to the North turnstiles at 7.15 . Five or six people in the queue . Everyone scanned their phones and they worked every time. Took two minutes to get in.  No Problem whatsoever. To be fair anyone who missed the first ten or fifteen minutes of the game missed absolutely nothing. 

• Options
    Surely this is burger boys job, an excellent reason for the new broom to sweep the shit out.
  • Options
    Got to the North turnstiles at 7.15 . Five or six people in the queue . Everyone scanned their phones and they worked every time. Took two minutes to get in.  No Problem whatsoever. To be fair anyone who missed the first ten or fifteen minutes of the game missed absolutely nothing. 

they missed Brighton's keep ball training routine and us chasing shadows and not touching the ball
  • Options
    Does leave me questioning at times whether The Valley is still fully fit for purpose for big crowds since the automated turnstiles were put in.

At 7.30 the queue for the East Stand was 10-15 mins, managed to get in just before KO. From what others have said we were lucky, and they had to open gates in the end to get people in. For a full house I can understand it, but from looking at the seat plans in the afternoon I knew the stand was around a fifth full at best

All other stands had I assume similar problems?. Reading the Brighton site it seems they had queues for tickets etc for over 2hrs And a nightmare outside the ground. 

At the end of the game, many in the East climbed the steps to the Bartram Gate as usual only to find the gate was locked and with no stewarding. It’s open every game so no logical reason it wasn’t other than the organisation behind the scenes is a shambles. At the minimum there should have been an announcement given. Really felt for some old people who’d got to the top and we’re now having to walk all the way back down to the Harvey Gardens exit to then turn right to walk all the way back up the hill to effectively where they were.

When we get anything approaching a half full stand then the East and West Lower concourses are practically immovable due to the blockage for the refreshment outlets and not big enough areas etc 

I honestly don’t know how the ground used to function with 27k every week when it copes so difficulty at less than two thirds that 
    The Curbs was more than a fifth full! The centre blocks were nearly full for a start 

Cup games are always an issue

Mobile tickets do slow things down, especially when one person has several tickets on their phone, and has to let people through one at a time, each with a separate QR code. And then you have people not sitting where they usually do, which then slows down getting everyone sat down.

With flat pricing, people tend (as per the photo) to bunch in the centre blocks, meaning that the centre refreshment areas are extra busy, thus blocking up the concourse. 

Not opening the Curbs Stand as soon as tickets went on sale was crazy. Indeed with the number of parents and young children there, they maybe should have opened the family stand as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Got to the car park around 6pm and there were hundreds of Brighton fans queuing already for the Jimmy Seed Stand  and looked a bit manic that early .
    Was in 1905 lounge and Peroni on tap was lovely 6 pints of that and feel utter shit now

Edit: Mrs drove home