Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

From The Times :

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
Stoke City have agreed a fee of £400,000 with Charlton to sign Jonathan Fortune, but the defender would prefer to move on loan.

Bordeaux have offered £2 million for Souleymane Diawara, the Charlton Athletic defender, who cost £3.7 million when he signed last year.

I reckon Fortune will go and possibly Diawara if the offer reaches close to 3m, although where we're sign another two centre halves from I couldn't guess. I reckon Diawara could be the sort to throw a Parkerseque strop if things don't go his way. Fortune is in the comfort zone with us. I'm never happy with players who are content to play a couple then be dropped until called upon two months later. Shows a lack of ambition in my opinion. At his age Fortune should be playing week in and week out and if he isn't good enough to do so then ship him out.

Comments

• Options
    i think Diawara could easily go if Pardew already has someone else lined up. Whether he has or not i don't know.

Fortune. Can you blame the bloke ? He desperately needs first team football. If he is not going to get it guaranteed by us, i don't blame him for doing everything he can to get it guaranteed elsewhere.
  • Options
    I'll be sorry to see Dia go as i think he could do well next year. I suppose if he hasn't settled here then he'll move on and Pards will unearth another wonder. I wouldn't mind that Hoefkens from Stoke who West Brom are trying to sign.
  • Options
    Hoefkins is a done deal according to the Stoke board and will sign for WBA tomorrow, 1.6m.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Hoefkins is a done deal according to the Stoke board and will sign for WBA tomorrow, 1.6m.

another one missed!
  • Options
    Fortune should leave if he isn't going to play regularly, he's at the age where he can earn a decent wage but his career will go nowhere if he's not playing regularly.
  • Options
    Agreed. Fotune probably has enough ability to have established himself by now, but his excessively laid back approach (on show again at Aldershot) means he's unlikely ever really to push on. Would happily keep him as dependable back-up but he shouldn't really be content with that now. Personally I'd be really disappointed to lose Diawara though. He's been a key defender pre-season, and surely has the pace and strength to make a real difference seeing off CCC forwards.
  • Options
    I agree that a defence that looked solid and in-depth might look a bit weak without Diawarra. Both Bougherra and McCarthy haven't proved much yet. Add to that a youngster Semedo I'd be a bit uncomfortable. I thought Bougherra looked a bit out of his depth last year, and the bit I've seen of McCarthy not too polished, although if he's the type of "nothing gets past me" player I'd be happily surprised. I though Fayes best game(s) last year were at the back.
  • Options
    I'm not so bothered about losing Fortune, as we seem to have plenty of cover at the back. He hasn't been bad for us, but a bit too inconsistent for my liking. Good luck to him! He'll have his bit in Charlton folklore too!

Losing Diawara would be a bit of a disappointment though. I think he will do well for us this year. I have a feeling(hope) that he might stay. He showed he was a true professional with his performances, when he came back in after Murray's comments. He was pretty damn solid for the whole of our upturn, & even in the downturn last year. With better midfield cover, & a reliable central defensive partner alongside him, we would have stayed up, & he would have been the key to that.

I think Pardew will do his best to keep him, & say that we will go straight back up if he stays here Also the fact that he has been a regular in pre-season, & again been looking extremely alert, solid & professional in his approach & delivery in the games so far. Pardew has also stated that the stronger line-ups he has put out, are the indication of what the final team will look like.

Hopefully that team will include Dia'!