Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Salif Diao

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
available on a free from Liverpool after his contract expired. On loan at Stoke last season and was expected to join them permanently. However, Stoke fans reckon he's now in talks with us and set to sign. Don't know much about him but they are gutted at possibly missing out on him.

Comments

• Options
    I thought he came on trial with us and didnt impress
  • Options
    yeah didn't impress Dowie - doesn't say much does it
  • Options
    Dowie would have signed him but for him failing a medical. He's been in really good form for Stoke and would be a decent signing. This signing would put paid to any hopes of signing Mullins, as they're both defensive CM's.
  • Options
    was mentioned in the Indy a couple of weeks ago ... see 4th paragraph
    http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/coca_cola/article2768263.ece
  • Options
    I like what I've seen of him.

Only downside I can see is the African Nations Cup in 2008.
  • Options
    Willing to be proved wrong but he strikes me as the latest in a long line of Africans who have underperformed elsewhere and who will do no better with us.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Dowie would have signed him but for him failing a medical. He's been in really good form for Stoke and would be a decent signing. This signing would put paid to any hopes of signing Mullins, as they're both defensive CM's.[/quote]

In Salads Independent link, it says Pardew is trying for both! I think the pair of them would give us strong cover for 46 games in the defensive midfield area.

Still hope we grab another striker though! I'd take McLeod over Cole anyday!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Dowie would have signed him but for him failing a medical. He's been in really good form for Stoke and would be a decent signing. This signing would put paid to any hopes of signing Mullins, as they're both defensive CM's.

In Salads Independent link, it says Pardew is trying for both! I think the pair of them would give us strong cover for 46 games in the defensive midfield area.

Still hope we grab another striker though! I'd take McLeod over Cole anyday!

i'd love to sign Mullins, Diao and McLeod but i think the Mullins deal has dragged on and McLeod is alleged to be on the verge of joining Leicester.
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Willing to be proved wrong but he strikes me as the latest in a long line of Africans who have underperformed elsewhere and who will do no better with us.

The Stoke fans really rate Diao and say they'll be gutted if they miss out on him. Signing Diao could help Diawara settle as well.
  • Options
    Stoke fans rate Fortune quite highly too so I can't trust their judgement on Diao.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Stoke fans rate Fortune quite highly too so I can't trust their judgement on Diao.

I know what you're saying but Fortune is at his level of football in the CCC and we need players like Diao who'll do a job and get us promoted. Pards seems to realise we'll need players who have experience of this league. some may move onto the Prem with us and some may be sold/released if they're not up to it, when we win the championship.