Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Watched it the other night.
    Didnt know the Bexleyheath connection but recognised Clive R.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Yes, had no idea that David Godin from Church Road Bexleyheath, was the man who actually got Berry Gordy to amalgamate the names of his 5 record labels under the single name of Tamla Motown. And therefore created the most famous label in the world. 

Well worth a watch……
  • Options
    Great watch especially if you love TM as much as I do !
  • Options
    Some of the photos shown during the show included the Four Tops making an appearance in The Bear and Ragged Staff in Crayford.
  • Options
    Yes, had no idea that David Godin from Church Road Bexleyheath, was the man who actually got Berry Gordy to amalgamate the names of his 5 record labels under the single name of Tamla Motown. And therefore created the most famous label in the world. 

Well worth a watch……
    He was the first person to use the term 'Northern Soul'......enjoyed the documentary last night well worth a watch.
  • Options

Well worth a watch……
    He was the first person to use the term 'Northern Soul'......enjoyed the documentary last night well worth a watch.
    Irrational perhaps but I hated / hate Norther soul. Especially the dancing.
  • Options

Well worth a watch……
    Irrational perhaps but I hated / hate Norther soul. Especially the dancing.
    Love it myself. Not much cop at the dancing mind.

• Options
    I’m with you SHG, love soul and Motown but northern soul no thank you 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Bournesnr said:
    How can you love soul but not Northern Soul ? Do you know what Northern Soul is ?

Edit Sorry that sounds a bit rude, not meant to be, a genuine question.
  • Options
    Clive R very prominent in the programme.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well worth a watch……
    The name Tamla Motown was for EMI distributed records in the UK & elsewhere around the world after originally coming out on the Oriole label (early 60s) & then Stateside. In America "Tamla Motown" didn't exist, the company name was the Motown Corporation & the five main labels were Motown, Gordy, Tamla, Soul, VIP there were others like the early Melody & others & a more rock orientated Rare Earth a bit later(after the group) Also there was the short lived Mowest for the west coast acts but then they moved the whole company to LA & that fucked them, such a shame after allegedly fucking many smaller record companies in Detroit as well as some of their own artists. 
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    How can you love soul but not Northern Soul ? Do you know what Northern Soul is ?

Edit Sorry that sounds a bit rude, not meant to be, a genuine question.
    Sounds reasonable to me.....Keep the faith.
  • Options
    Enjoyed the program despite being on the opposing side. 

Well that's how it felt growing up with my brother bringing home Tamla and Reggae nonsense on his Lambretta while I was supplying quality rock records for the delight of the family.  My Dad was a night worker and often used to do a passable Chas and Dave impression from his bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-T49tMuG3o  
  • Options
    I always like to tell Northern Soul-ers that it was a Londoner who coined the term Northern Soul, most of them don't know their history. I know that some of them wouldn't be anywhere near it if they called it Southern Soul, that's for sure. 

I can take it or leave it, prefer the Stax and Atlantic sound personally. Of course Motown started as a Rock n Roll/Do-wop label...     
  • Options
    Watched it last night - fascinating!
  • Options
    "I had started to notice that northern football fans who were in London to follow their team were coming into the store to buy records, but they weren't interested in the latest developments in the black American chart. I devised the name as a shorthand sales term. It was just to say ‘if you’ve got customers from the north, don't waste time playing them records currently in the US black chart, just play them what they like – ‘Northern Soul’.".......Dave Godin.
  • Options
    I always like to tell Northern Soul-ers that it was a Londoner who coined the term Northern Soul, most of them don't know their history. I know that some of them wouldn't be anywhere near it if they called it Southern Soul, that's for sure. 

I can take it or leave it, prefer the Stax and Atlantic sound personally. Of course Motown started as a Rock n Roll/Do-wop label...     
    History ? It's about the music, that's the history that people care about. I doubt that anybody has ever thought about "what if it was called southern soul" Too ridiculous for words.

Motown certainly didn't start as a Rock n Roll/Do-wop label. The first releases were on Tamla for a start, the Motown label wasn't introduced until months later Maybe you should learn your history ?
    It was formed initially as an RnB label although some white pop acts were signed later, Below is the very first release by Berry Gordy on his Tamla label. Rock N Roll ? I don't think so. Doo wop ? The B side has hints of Doo Wop for sure, that doesn't make the label a doo wop label. A few releases later was their first hit, Money by Barrett Strong 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Q2FJQnpQ8
  • Options
    Is Clive Richardson still with us. 
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Is Clive Richardson still with us. 
    Yep. Around on twitter and Chairman of North Kent Tennis League. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does a show on Solarradio every Sunday at 8am.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Thanks, it’s just that since the demise of the local radio station and not seeing around the valley for some time and not heard about himI thought he may have passed on. Sorry Clive if you read this.
  • Options

History ? It's about the music, that's the history that people care about. I doubt that anybody has ever thought about "what if it was called southern soul" Too ridiculous for words.

Motown certainly didn't start as a Rock n Roll/Do-wop label. The first releases were on Tamla for a start, the Motown label wasn't introduced until months later Maybe you should learn your history ?
    It was formed initially as an RnB label although some white pop acts were signed later, Below is the very first release by Berry Gordy on his Tamla label. Rock N Roll ? I don't think so. Doo wop ? The B side has hints of Doo Wop for sure, that doesn't make the label a doo wop label. A few releases later was their first hit, Money by Barrett Strong 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Q2FJQnpQ8
    Blimey Bob, get out of the wrong side of the bed?

To me (and obviously not to you) RnB and Rock n Roll are inseperable, mainly just the colour of the skin of the acts. I see where you are coming from, but if you are going to be pedantic, did they call "Come to Me" soul? Is there not a doo-wop backing?   

As for Southern Soul? If you had met some of the ultra-chippy northerners I have hanging out at the Northern Soul weekend here in Albufeira, there is no doubt that anything with the monicker "southern" attached would have gone straight in the bin...  :D         
  • Options
    Just watching this on I player..great programme