Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Season Ticket Sales

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
Peter Varney was on Talkshite this morning. Didn't hear the first part of the interview but I'm sure I heard Fatty Brazil say that we'd sold 18,500 season tickets. Good show if true.

Comments

• Options
    Nice number if thats true

Cant wait roll on the new season
  • Options
    if ltgtr was in charge of promoting we would have sold 27,000 and had 50,000 on a waiting list
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]if ltgtr was in charge of promoting we would have sold 27,000 and had 50,000 on a waiting list

So true. If only the rest of you had listened when I said LTGTR was right.
  • Options
    If ltgtr was in charge we'd be up to a 50k capacity now, have David Beckham playing for us and still be in the prem as well....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]Peter Varney was on Talkshite this morning. Didn't hear the first part of the interview but I'm sure I heard Fatty Brazil say that we'd sold 18,500 season tickets. Good show if true.

Did PV have anything else to say?
  • Options
    He was talking about academies and the development of young players because ManYoo have signed some 9 year old wonder kid from Australia and they were talking about the implications of developing players too young, building up parents expectations for the future and too many clubs are getting too many kids into the academies from abroad. Had some parents phoning in to say, amongst other things, that over-training had caused serious injury to 16 year olds, parents had been offered houses and cars to move to some of the bigger clubs up north so they'd be in the catchment areas and how some talented kids had just drifted out of the game because they'd been dumped by the clubs at 16 because they weren't considered good enough.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]He was talking about academies and the development of young players

cos he's in a right good position to talk about academies with the wonderful production line of talent that's being produced down at sparrows lane!
  • Options
    Ouch! That did not miss!!!
  • Options
    I'd say he's extremely well-qualified on the subject - we must have dumped more 16 year olds than most...
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]He was talking about academies and the development of young players

cos he's in a right good position to talk about academies with the wonderful production line of talent that's being produced down at sparrows lane!

He's in a very good position cos he's CEO of a football club and also happens to be the father of a player who came through that system.

And lets forget Parker, Konch, Defoe, Fortune, Randolph and Sam shall we so we can have yet another moan and excuse to slag the club off.

Maybe if you read and took the time to digest what Valley McCoist had just written (players being tempted away to other clubs by bribes) it might actually explain why there haven't been more players coming through but let's not let the facts get in the way of good moan. That wouldn't be the Charlton way would it. : - (
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've always wondered how David Beckham and Kieron Richardson came to be in the catchment area of ManYoo. Obviously they must have had some long lost relatives in that part of the world
  • Options
    Beckham was definately 'encouraged' up north but united had to pay for poaching Richardson from West Ham.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]

He's in a very good position cos he's CEO of a football club and also happens to be the father of a player who came through that system.

And lets forget Parker, Konch, Defoe, Fortune, Randolph and Sam shall we so we can have yet another moan and excuse to slag the club off.

Maybe if you read and took the time to digest what Valley McCoist had just written (players being tempted away to other clubs by bribes) it might actually explain why there haven't been more players coming through but let's not let the facts get in the way of good moan. That wouldn't be the Charlton way would it. : - (

Sankofa
  • Options
    Peter Varney's son was not good at footie, more of a softy than Rommedahl.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexleyheath_Red[/cite]Peter Varney's son was not good at footie, more of a softy than Rommedahl.

Never saw him play so no idea but that's not the point.
  • Options
    i thought we had just re-signed varneys son? the fella with the blond highlights?
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]i thought we had just re-signed varneys son? the fella with the blond highlights?

Different Luke Varney. Do try to keep up ; o )
  • Options
    I might have missed something here but has anyone confirmed the number of season ticket holders for this season - 18,500 or wot?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]I might have missed something here but has anyone confirmed the number of season ticket holders for this season - 18,500 or wot?

Don't know. Tell you when I find out but not likely to be until 20th Aug.
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]i thought we had just re-signed varneys son? the fella with the blond highlights?

That was Alex, this is Luke. Alex is at Ebbsfleet at the moment I think.
  • Options
    Varney is training at Ebbsfleet with a view to signing a contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Varney is training at Ebbsfleet with a view to signing a contract.

did he play last night?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Varney is training at Ebbsfleet with a view to signing a contract.
    we've just bought him though. we never give our youngsters a chance
  • Options

Alex Varney played and scored for them last season didn't he? Didn't see his name on the team sheet.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]I've always wondered how David Beckham and Kieron Richardson came to be in the catchment area of ManYoo. Obviously they must have had some long lost relatives in that part of the world

With Beckham it was good scouting, he was first spotted at one of Bobby Charlton's football schools and they kept tabs on him for a year or so, inviting him to train at Man U in school holidays etc and even let him be their mascot at a couple of matches when they played in London. Before the Premiership tightened the rules clubs could recruit from anywhere in the UK, now I think it must be from within 35 miles.
  • Options
    Scouting in those days wasn't as organised / strategically planned as it is now. It was all part of an old boys network and it didn't really matter where your scout lived.

Remember when i was young there was a Southampton scout based in the Bexley area and responsible for taking a few lads down there.
  • Options
    Many scouts are either ex-players or are school sports teachers, in that the clubs have a number of schools in their area and simply ask the schools to recommend any good kids who they teach.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]if ltgtr was in charge of promoting we would have sold 27,000 and had 50,000 on a waiting list

So true. If only the rest of you had listened when I said LTGTR was right.

if i was in charge, for starters i would have given every season ticket holder a free charlton shirt, sorted out the catering pre, during and pos match so that the valley becomes a match day venue not somewhere to get to at the last minute and get away from asap and introduce mobile merchandising sales within the ground...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]

if i was in charge, for starters i would have given every season ticket holder a free charlton shirt, sorted out the catering pre, during and pos match so that the valley becomes a match day venue not somewhere to get to at the last minute and get away from asap and introduce mobile merchandising sales within the ground...

LOL ; -)
  • Options
    But what about bottled lager Large???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]But what about bottled lager Large???

Large???

it's coming. Let's hope it's worth the wait.