Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Macauley Bonne - now at Gillingham (p27)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2023
    We get rid of Leco 
    And then bring him back

We get rid of Johnny Williams and then bring him back.

We get rid of Aneke 
    And then bring him back

We get rid of Bonne 
    And then get him back. 

Do our scouts actually do any scouting 
    Can't do much scouting sat in the directors box for all of our games can they?
  • Options
    Bloody hell we can only afford his wages till end of season. We are skint. 
    If you book a weekend away does that mean you are skint & can't afford a 2 week holiday? 
    Don’t want to go back to somewhere I got the clap
  • Options
    Good luck to him, don't care about what he said - my main memory was that he just didn't look very good most of the time 
  • Options
    Didn’t Macca have a bit of time off when with us, having been diagnosed with a hole in the heart, hope he’s ok.
  • Options
    Maybe it's time to give the lad a 2nd chance, I'm sure we've all had them in the past, some people maybe more. Both Bonne and Holden have addressed the 'tweet' so for me, if its good enough for Holden it's good enough for me!
    He has a 6 month contract he knows he has to play well and score if he wants it extended. He's here  as a striker which with exception of Leaburn we currently don't have, Chucks is permanently injured and Stockley is out of form. I think he'll do well if Fraser continues playing well as a 10.
    Let's get behind him, hope he scores a hat full and gets us up the table.
    Now where is Endu and Kane?

Good solid response that.
  • Options
    I seem to be in the minority, but I don't mind this as a deal to the end of the season.  If it works out, great.  If it doesn't we get rid.

Good deal IMO
     I agree. 6 months is sensible, miles better than the three and half year deal for Chucks.
  • Options
    Hemed and Kayal returning could be interesting….
  • Options
    I hear that Cory Gibbs is about to return 🤓
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Conor Washington replacement.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Not really interested in what he says on social media, I just think he’s a poor, poor striker. How anyone can think our recruitment is anything other than an utter joke is beyond me.
    He very obviously is not a "poor  poor striker".

Latest league one performances by striker options for Charlton:

Bonne;  46 appearances, 12 goals.  
    Washington: 38 appearances, 11 goals
    Stockley:  29 appearances 3 goals.

Washington has a marginally better goals to games ratio, but not by much, and it seems unlikely he is an option.  Stockley has around 1 in 10.  Aneke, is unlikely to score again in the foreseeable future.

He may be an average average striker.  But he is better than any other options we have.
  • Options
    Not really interested in what he says on social media, I just think he’s a poor, poor striker. How anyone can think our recruitment is anything other than an utter joke is beyond me.
    So you've got two profiles, Silly Billy.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I really don't care if he said we are all a bunch of c**ts.  If he converts some of those chances that Rak Sakyi is creating I will be happy.

And to be fair he is right.  We can be a right bunch of c**ts sometimes.

Not that he said that.
  • Options
    Whether you were bothered by the tweet or not, does anyone actually believe that it was aimed at QPR fans... 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Whether you were bothered by the tweet or not, does anyone actually believe that it was aimed at QPR fans... 
    Offended GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER
  • Options
    What was the tweet?
  • Options
    Welcome back Bonne .. excellent signing for league one and something to prove till
    end of season .. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why would he have been smiling and saying cheers to QPR for stalling his move that he really "wanted"?
  • Options
    I do agree that we shouldn't keep going back to former players. But I'm not sure what we have to lose with Bonne. On our budget and given that there are so few proven and available strikers out there, who do we propose signing in the middle of the season instead?

It's a six months contract. If he's a success then he signs a new one. If he isn't then we've lost I would estimate £75k but we made over £1m profit on him. We paid £300K for Aneke and on a three and a half year contract too. Forget the goals per minutes because that is irrelevant when a player is so limited in terms of appearances. Bonne scored 11 goals in just over a year whereas Aneke has 21 goals over a period of three years.   

Neither may, ultimately, turn out to be the answer. But we can afford to gamble with Bonne when the mid season alternatives are virtually non existent without possibly making the same mistake that we did this time last year.  
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:
    What was the tweet?
    No idea mate. 
  • Options

Washington has a marginally better goals to games ratio, but not by much, and it seems unlikely he is an option.  Stockley has around 1 in 10.  Aneke, is unlikely to score again in the foreseeable future.

He may be an average average striker.  But he is better than any other options we have.
    Sorry, just don't rate him.

I quite liked Washington, but he was getting more wasteful the longer he went on; Stockley hasn't been the same since his injury and Chuks? If he had a decent level of fitness he'd be playing a lot higher up the league than he does now. We've been very lucky that Leaburn Jr has come through, wasn't that long ago he was behind Kanu,  

• Options

Sorry, just don't rate him.

I quite liked Washington, but he was getting more wasteful the longer he went on; Stockley hasn't been the same since his injury and Chuks? If he had a decent level of fitness he'd be playing a lot higher up the league than he does now. We've been very lucky that Leaburn Jr has come through, wasn't that long ago he was behind Kanu,  

So he is not a poor striker by any comparative scale.  He is likely to be the best striker we have.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Why would he have been smiling and saying cheers to QPR for stalling his move that he really "wanted"?
    Sarcasm.

As in "cheers mate" 🙄 when the bloke next to you at the bar has just knocked over your pint.
  • Options
    Bonne Bonne Bonne let me see you score a Goal GOOOAAAL 
  • Options
    I do agree that we shouldn't keep going back to former players. But I'm not sure what we have to lose with Bonne. On our budget and given that there are so few proven and available strikers out there, who do we propose signing in the middle of the season instead?

It's a six months contract. If he's a success then he signs a new one. If he isn't then we've lost I would estimate £75k but we made over £1m profit on him. We paid £300K for Aneke and on a three and a half year contract too. Forget the goals per minutes because that is irrelevant when a player is so limited in terms of appearances. Bonne scored 11 goals in just over a year whereas Aneke has 21 goals over a period of three years.   

Neither may, ultimately, turn out to be the answer. But we can afford to gamble with Bonne when the mid season alternatives are virtually non existent without possibly making the same mistake that we did this time last year.  
    Well put, it's low risk, high reward.

He gets in behind, which is something we desperately lack, and he can score goals, and our forwards aren't the most prolific.

I found him deeply, deeply frustrating when he was here. I was underwhelmed when we had him lined up in the summer. But he makes the squad deeper, and it's a six month contract.

We can argue if he's better than Stockley or more reliable than Chuks or whatever, but he's far, far, far more proven than Danial Kanu. And right until today, Kanu was the only "poacher" style constantly run in behind striker in our squad. So on that alone it seems like a no brainer, but if this also means Kanu goes out on loan, then that's even better.