Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Macauley Bonne - now at Southend (p29)

Comments

• KettsJohn said:
    Wasn't convinced with Bonne first time round but do remember thinking he would do well in League 1 when we went down. Certainly will get behind him and he knows himself that he needs to really impress this time. Might surprise us.
    I think Macca needs service, he’s probably a 1 in 3 chance taker, hopefully Corey and Jes can provide some ammo for him.

I think we’ve got to remember he had Lyle playing alongside him, who was like 2 players, which I’m sure helped him get his goal tally up for us last time.

I don’t think Bonne and Taylor started more than a handful of games together in the Championship season. Taylor got injured on international duty which helped Bonne get a chance.  

Bonne played the majority of his games either up front on his own, with Williams playing behind him, or as split strikers with Leko. 
  • Let’s see if he can shake his “Barn Door Bonne” moniker.
  • I dont remember him playing much at all with the snake, the Bristol City game at home I recall them being on the pitch at the same time and us absolutely tearing them apart. 

I remember him being a bit naive to watching his position in terms of getting caught offside which I hope has been coached put of him but I mainly remember him getting some very important goals and impressing me with his work ethic 
  • OK he is back and assuming Stockley goes how and where do you play MB to get the best out of him for the team?

You play Bonne in a two with Leaburn.

• Ben18 said:
    KettsJohn said:
    Wasn't convinced with Bonne first time round but do remember thinking he would do well in League 1 when we went down. Certainly will get behind him and he knows himself that he needs to really impress this time. Might surprise us.
    I think Macca needs service, he’s probably a 1 in 3 chance taker, hopefully Corey and Jes can provide some ammo for him.

I think we’ve got to remember he had Lyle playing alongside him, who was like 2 players, which I’m sure helped him get his goal tally up for us last time.

I don’t think Bonne and Taylor started more than a handful of games together in the Championship season. Taylor got injured on international duty which helped Bonne get a chance.  

Bonne played the majority of his games either up front on his own, with Williams playing behind him, or as split strikers with Leko. 

I remember one game at the valley when Taylor and Bonne combined for a goal.
    Lyle was injured so Bonne played as a lone striker as Leko wasn't a striker ! 

IF Taylor and Bonne had played together more, Bonne would have been nearer to 20 goals.  

I don't think I have ever wanted a player to succeed more than Bonne to ram the negativity down the throats of his critics.

If Macca gets sharp quickly, gets his mind right then another return of a prodigal son will be a success.

If Macca is sluggish he will get slaughtered by the critics when warming up and it will be a disaster. It's a 16 player game now so he doesn't have to do a 100 minute shift. 

Stay off social media for fucks sake Macaulay.

• edited January 2023
    Bristol City around Christmas time. Bonne headed on for Taylor, Taylor headed on and Bonne got round the defender to score from a difficult angle.

Game where Doughty got the winner from a Bonne cross.

Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPLlwW8-JEw
  • Cheers @iaitch that was the game I remembered and Bonne even made the 3rd goal with the cross. 

Unfortunately Taylor and Bonne only played a handful of games together and then Covid struck...

• edited January 2023
  • Sponsored links:

• Good debut; looking forward to more assists and a few goals.
  • It's true, for somebody who has taken so much flak - he did more in those minutes than Stockley has in.........
  • But whoever let him have the no. 8 shirt needs talking to!
    Leaburn and Grant often wore 8. Though I was watching a game the other day and Bradley Allen wore 2 😭 Think Vaz Te also wore that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2023
    Talal said:
    But whoever let him have the no. 8 shirt needs talking to!
    Leaburn and Grant often wore 8. Though I was watching a game the other day and Bradley Allen wore 2 😭 Think Vaz Te also wore that. 
    Two of the greatest "poachers" of all time wore the number 8 - Ian Wright (239 goals) and probably England's finest "finisher" did so, namely Jimmy Greaves (402). And are we forgetting what number the most prolific goal machine of the last 50 years for us wore - Killer (148 goals for us alone). Bonne is more Wright, Greaves and Hales than he is a traditional target man so number 8 is fine and dandy as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I'd have been outraged had he been given any other number!
  • He keeps playing like he did today and he's going to get his share of goals I think. He's far from a complete player but looks like he could be useful as a plan B/option off the bench, at least for now.
    of the numbers available which one would you have given him?
  • I could'nt care less what number he wears when he starts scoring.
    Well done our fans who welcomed him back yesterday and he will soon put his silly texts behind him. He definitely offers something different up front.