Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ebsfleet last night

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
Hello this is Hugh Johns reporting...

Well it was an interesting evening at the Fleet, Scott parker was on the terraces. He was there to watch his cousin, one Harry Arter, who along with the rest of a Charlton XI was a waste of a pair of boots. Charlton fielded a team made up of trainees, U18's and Reserve players and it showed, apart from Charltons number 9 whose name was Danny ? who was lively and showed some good touches and took his goal well. For all CAFCs tricks and flicks they only threatened Ebsfleets goal three or four times. Once Ebsleet started to bully the Charlton XI it was one way traffic, CAFC were lucky to go into the break only 2-1 down however in the second half the strength of The Fleet showed and by the time the welcome final whistle came it was Ebsfleet 5 - Lightweight Charlton XI 1 and all this for a tenner. It was embarrasing that a conference team could stop a team of future pro footballers so easily.

And now its over to Ron Pickering at the swimming pool.

Hugh Johns reporting from The Fleet.

Comments

• Options
    Sending a youth team to Gravesend.....

Is that to give the lads an early glimpse of where they will be playing their football in 3 years time !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Hello this is Hugh Johns reporting...

Well it was an interesting evening at the Fleet, Scott parker was on the terraces. He was there to watch his cousin, one Harry Arter, who along with the rest of a Charlton XI was a waste of a pair of boots. Charlton fielded a team made up of trainees, U18's and Reserve players and it showed, apart from Charltons number 9 whose name was Danny ? who was lively and showed some good touches and took his goal well. For all CAFCs tricks and flicks they only threatened Ebsfleets goal three or four times. Once Ebsleet started to bully the Charlton XI it was one way traffic, CAFC were lucky to go into the break only 2-1 down however in the second half the strength of The Fleet showed and by the time the welcome final whistle came it was Ebsfleet 5 - Lightweight Charlton XI 1 and all this for a tenner. It was embarrasing that a conference team could stop a team of future pro footballers so easily.

And now its over to Ron Pickering at the swimming pool.

Hugh Johns reporting from The Fleet.

you knew what you were getting before you went so it's your own fault if you wasted a tenner. Despite the fact that they are at a League Club half the team were 16 with no senior pros. It's unjustified to think that because they are at a pro Club they should beat Ebbsfleet, a team of seasoned pros who probably train more than our lads who are also still studying. Half of them are still academy players and not even pros. Open your eyes for gawd's sake.
  • Options
    Well said LargeAddick, I get fed up when people dismiss the ability of Conference sides. Most of those players were in the same boat as the 11 Charlton players that played last night. i.e they were academy and first year pros at league clubs add on another 10 years of playing in the lower leagues and the conference and you have well-seasoned talented footballers. The gap between the average Football League player and a conference player is negligible and a lot of luck/good fortune in their careers has resulted in where they end up.
  • Options
    As an aside my yiddo workmate said that Spurs youth team lost to Rushden the other night....youth and Danny Murphy that is!
  • Options
    Very harsh bibble, except for the charging of a tenner, but to be fair to Ebsfleet though, it wasn't they who decided to send a team of kids to play a strong conference outfit.

For what it's worth here's how I saw it;

The first half was pretty even, Charlton had two good chances, one from Ben Godfrey and the other from Scott Wagstaff, before Ebsfleet had a sniff. Eribenne gave the home side their first chance on twelve minutes but it was well saved by Harry Lee. Almost imediately afterwards Wagstaff wasted a golden opportunity that he himself had created very well indeed down the right hand side, but he could find neither the net or a decisive pass. The next twenty or so minutes saw Ebsfleet gain the upper hand, with Eribenne, Moore and Coleman missing good chances before Purcell actually put them in front as the young Addicks failed to clear a corner.

The lively Danny Uchecki , who had given the Fleet back four a tough time, equalised 3 minutes later, latching on to a long ball, with a fine run and his lob over the keeper showed a cool touch for one so young. He should have added another minutes later but fired over after more fine approach work. The next ten minutes belonged to the visitors as Wagstaff, Harkin and Arter all combined well down the right, but despite good posession they couldn't provide the final killer blow.

A sign of what was to come, arrived in the last minute of the half as Eribenne out muscled our 17 year old right back, irish Internatiol, Rauri Harkin, who is normaly a right winger and the Ebsfleet striker now clear on goal, finished with some power.

The second half went as the first half finished with Ebsfleet powering their way to a comfortable victory, as DeBolla, Nade and Opinell scored without reply. The Addicks side, made up of five 16 year olds and four 17 year olds, were unable to cope with the difference in physical stregnth.

Both Kinsella and Gritt commented that it was a tough baptism of fire in recent weeks for their young charges, but hoped that the experiences, would stand them in good stead for the future.

Oi, Hugh, you'd better join Ron at the pool mate!!!!!!!!

:-)
  • Options
    Large - 'you knew what you were getting before you went so it's your own fault if you wasted a tenner.'

Pards said I would play my stronger team at Aldershot, the team against Ebsfleet would be a mix of youth and reserves. BTW I only knew this 'cos I checked out the website, most people dont, if they had known do you think that 1500 people would have gone down there? didn't think so. When I watch a game billed as a friendly pre-season match I expect to see at least some of the players that may feature in the league. All these kids got was a good hiding watch may have shot their confidence. A total waste of everyone's time!
  • Options
    Remember that Ebbsfleet are not just a Conference side, but that they've been together for a few seasons. I wonder how many of the Charlton side have played in the same team together?
  • Options
    Well, if Charlton are now CCC, then Ebbsfleet are Division 3, with every chance of being promoted to the Football League at the end of the season.

Our bunch of kids didn't really do so bad, did they?

Now whether you expect Charlton to field a strong side with established professionals is another matter.

Maybe with two matches played on the same evening, the squad is stretched.
    Obviously, some players are injured and others rested because they are starting Saturday's 1st team match against Braga.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite] Obviously, some players are injured and others rested because they are starting Saturday's 1st team match against Braga.

Hence the strong subs bench at Aldershot, these are obviously those who are definately Pards' first choice
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Large - 'you knew what you were getting before you went so it's your own fault if you wasted a tenner.'

Pards said I would play my stronger team at Aldershot, the team against Ebsfleet would be a mix of youth and reserves. BTW I only knew this 'cos I checked out the website, most people dont, if they had known do you think that 1500 people would have gone down there? didn't think so. When I watch a game billed as a friendly pre-season match I expect to see at least some of the players that may feature in the league. All these kids got was a good hiding watch may have shot their confidence. A total waste of everyone's time![/quote]

Sorry bibble, but this is the bit Pards said in the official website piece before the game on Tuesday;

"In all honesty the side going to play Ebbsfleet will be a youth team, but I would say that it will give those Charlton fans who do go along to Stonebridge Road the opportunity to see the strength and depth of our up and coming players."

No idea where you got the 'Reserves' bit from, seems pretty clear to me and as for a total waste of everyones time, well as you must have solicitied the opinions of all 1,545 fans, plus the management and players of both sides, I'll have to take your word for it.

Oh hang on, I did get the opinions of the management and players of both sides and that's not how they saw it at all, must just be the 1,545 then. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went as my 7 year old wanted to go and we're off on holiday Saturday so....

We left after 70 mins, was bored stiff.

Last pre-season game I'm ever going to.

I expected at least 2 maybe 3 pros, or at least a name I've heard of.

Am glad I'm off on holiday, after listening to Reg on TalkSport I felt like slashing my wrists.....
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Pards said I would play my stronger team at Aldershot[/quote]

Unfortunately Bibble the team he started with at Aldershot was not very strong in my opinion. We were very very poor & the only player from our starting eleven I'd wish to see on the 11th Aug is Moutaukail or however you spell it. The kid had so much energy and his pace was electric, quicker than Romm I reckon. His final ball & passing needs working on though.
    Powell looked as steady as ever & Elliot was alright in goal but the rest of them were rubbish & we were lucky to be 0-0 @ HT. It wasn't until Reid, Ambrose, Thomas & Toddy come on that we actually looked like a decent side, the difference in quality was noticeable near on instantly. Just a shame we couldnt create more than 3 half chances & that Toddy didnt pull the trigger after going round the keeper.
  • Options
    the site made it out to be more than 16 and 17 year olds... i expected at least a few fringe players mixed with the best of the youth.. to be fair the youngsters started brightly but lost beleif after a few bad misses. I like the black fella upfront aswell very lively