Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christmas / Birthday cards

2»

Comments

• Options
    Err….you can send as many as you want.
    I feel like I might be getting a whoosh here? 🙄
    I dont understand why you would pay to send an email ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    It's more than an email, it is a card with (say) a little village in the snow, with santa flying overhead with music, words, lights and action.  Quite nice in a way - not sure it's for the traditionalists though.
  • Options
    We haven’t sent birthday cards in quite some time. We send bars of good quality chocolate with happy birthday, written on the wrapper. The chocolate costs about the same as a decent card and it gets put to better use.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Stig said:
    Haven't sent them for years. Waste of time.

As a kid, I had a lucrative little job delivering them. I lived on Canvey Island and my mum worked in a factory there. She arranged with all her workmates that I'd cycle around the island and deliver any Xmas cards for half the price of a stamp; not a lot individually, but it added up with numbers. There were two great things about this job. 1. These people all knew the same people, so there were lots of saved trips. 2. My dad used to take pity on me and drive me around in the car. So essentially I was getting paid to have a car ride 😉
    I assume you moved on to achieve your life’s ambition and became  a postman……nice one. 😏
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Do as I suggested and take a look at the website, you are way  off as to realising what it’s all about……you’ll be impressed I’m sure.
    For a start off, they are all moving art work with musical accompaniment.
  • Options
    I stopped this year apart from my mum as she would be upset if she didn’t get a card 
  • Options
    Thanks for your feedback, there's obviously no right or wrong way. 

I think the sending of cards will continue to diminish in line with Royal Mail's service levels and of course the technological alternatives.  There have  been a couple of people in my close circle who have declared that they will no longer send cards which is fair enough.  In some ways it's easier to come to some agreement with those closer to you than those further afield.  There are a few cards I send  - to put bluntly - are only to prove that I'm still alive  :|.

I think I'll probably continue to send out my 40 odd cards, but willingly fall in with others if/when they move over to Whatsapp.  
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Do as I suggested and take a look at the website, you are way  off as to realising what it’s all about……you’ll be impressed I’m sure.
    I have looked - still can't comprehend paying £25 a year to send an electronic Christmas/birthday card

at least with a proper card it gets put on a shelf or hung up and people can look at it. This just gets read by the recipient and deleted.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    I have looked - still can't comprehend paying £25 a year to send an electronic Christmas/birthday card

at least with a proper card it gets put on a shelf or hung up and people can look at it. This just gets read by the recipient and deleted.
    Why do you assume it will be deleted?
    Another thing is you say £25 to send ‘a’ card……you do realise you can send as many cards as you like, all year round.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, I do realise it is unlimited.

you obviously value it which is fair enough, but not for me.

if I received one, i would watch it, then delete - not going to think in 5 years time, let me look for any electronic Christmas cards I got back in 2022
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Yes, I do realise it is unlimited.

you obviously value it which is fair enough, but not for me.

if I received one, i would watch it, then delete - not going to think in 5 years time, let me look for any electronic Christmas cards I got back in 2022
    Fair enough and even if someone does watch it once and delete it’s still cheaper than buying cards and then posting them. Not done it myself, yet, but will definitely be giving it serious thought.
  • Options
    I haven't sent a Christmas card for six or seven years. I still send Birthday cards but only to very close family members.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Ugh! :neutral:

• Options
    We get one every year for someone that previously lived in our house. We've been there for 25 years and to our knowledge the intended recipient wasn't one of the last two owners. I guess these people are just thoughtlessly working their way through a list. If ever there was an indicator of the futility of Christmas cards, this is it.