Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Penney (a left back!!!) signs on loan from Ipswich Town

Comments

• Options
    Just waiting for Ronnie to come through and confirm before I can relax... ;)
    Give it a week or so...
  • Options
    Decent signing, get Sess over to left back and if the Penney drops with Matt he could be our left back for the next couple of years 
    Get Sess over to right back.
  • Options
    Decent signing, get Sess over to left back and if the Penney drops with Matt he could be our left back for the next couple of years 
    Get Sess over to right back.
    What I meant! 
  • Options
    110%?
    That’s 10% more than I ever hoped from a January signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solid defender, great left foot, gets up and down well 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Two player of the month awards at Motherwell, left-footed in a position we need. Couldn't care less if he's from a team in the same league, they have about 8000 players anyway
    But as we know from our Purrington discussions on Charlton Life, SPL is League Two at best. 

I'd say Motherwell are L1 standard.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Scoham said:
    Looks a decent signing on paper, though I wonder why he wasn't good enough for Ipswich. Still young enough to improve and potentially become a permanent signing.

Considering he went to Motherwell on loan the sort of signing we could have made in the summer. Instead it appears TS and MS thought Clayden was good enough. They saved on wages for half a season but those 2/3 extra signings we needed in the summer could have been the difference between a playoff place and mid table.
    Ipswich spent a LOT of money on Leif Davis so he was always up against it there.

I would hope it’s a loan with a view to extension it at the end of the season if it all goes well
    Ipswich have the option of an extension but as it stands he’s out of contract at end the season 
    They will trigger the extension if they think they can get a fee, just as we did with JFC 😀
  • Options
    Easter Weekend he's traditionally on a 4-day piss-up... just giving us advance warning 
  • Options
    Assume he’ll be playing right back then?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Scoham said:
    Looks a decent signing on paper, though I wonder why he wasn't good enough for Ipswich. Still young enough to improve and potentially become a permanent signing.

Considering he went to Motherwell on loan the sort of signing we could have made in the summer. Instead it appears TS and MS thought Clayden was good enough. They saved on wages for half a season but those 2/3 extra signings we needed in the summer could have been the difference between a playoff place and mid table.
    Ipswich spent a LOT of money on Leif Davis so he was always up against it there.

I would hope it’s a loan with a view to extension it at the end of the season if it all goes well
    Ipswich have the option of an extension but as it stands he’s out of contract at end the season 
    They will trigger the extension if they think they can get a fee, just as we did with JFC 😀
    If they go up I think they’ll release him 
  • Options
    Rumours on the other site we are under a transfer embargo. Seriously when will it end?
  • Options
    Hope there's no clause in the loan saying we can't play him when we meet Ipswich in the play-off final!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At last - a proper left back! Welcome, Matt. Please avoid the injury curse!

• Options
    Rumours on the other site we are under a transfer embargo. Seriously when will it end?
    Doubt it as they always talk about them on 5 live as and when they come up. The EFL now place this on public record. 
  • Options
    I could be wrong, but aren't teams placed under an embargo just prior to a takeover being confirmed? Either way, if we are placed under an embargo, the EFL will announce it as they have with Wigan and Sheff Utd during the past week.

• Options
    Hope there's no clause in the loan saying we can't play him when we meet Ipswich in the play-off final!
    He won't be able to play against his parent club presumably. If Ipswich end up in the playoffs I can see them crashing in the semis anyway
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Scoham said:

In theory, yes, but it might be that in the summer, or maybe even up until last week, they wanted him to have some sort of playing time guarantee, which, with Egbo and Sess seemingly fit or coming back to fitness, we couldn't provide. Now with Clare as our only dependably fit fullback, Penney looks like he'll play a lot more than he would have at the start of the season.

Don't know anything about him but sounds like a good signing on paper. I'm glad that we didn't wait all window for Edun. He probably has a higher pedigree, but at some point you have to move on to other targets. I feel like our recruitment has struggled with that in recent times, so it's nice that they put a marker down in the sand and moved on to Plan B. 

He's been playing regularly which means he's fit, which is really good as well. It also means that when Sess is fit, he can play on the right. We can then drop Clare or use him in a back three. 

At this point, I would give this window a solid B grade. Needs have been addressed. Quality in depth has been added. A stand out CB or Attacker would still be really beneficial, but those are hard to come by, especially in January and when you can't guarantee loan players playing time due to existing depth. Moving on Stockley and Lavelle (loan or perm) and bringing in two to replace them would be ideal, but that feels more like something that would happen in the summer given that requires four transfers over the next week and a half. 

Last step is to let some of the youngsters go out on loan. Mitchell, Deji, and Kanu all can go to the National League and develop (they also don't necessarily have to move within the window). Same with Chin, though we may keep him on a tighter leash given that we're still not exactly blessed with fullbacks.

Good business, done before the 11th hour. We're stronger now than we were three weeks ago, and we've also gotten two players presumably on decent wages off our books. A LB and Bonne should have been added in the summer, it's a shame they weren't as things might have turned out differently. 
  • Options
    Oh go on, my go...

We spent a Penny!
  • Options
    Matt, we don’t want you to give 110% , 100% will do just fine!
  • Options
    Feel a bit short changed?