Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Sprint Final

Jayden Stockley

Gary Doherty

Grant Basey

Charlie Kirk

Roger Johnson

Pawel Abbott

Leon Clarke

Joe Ledley

I'm sure there are many others. Maurice Setters, for example, was painfully slow when he played for us but had been a fine player for Man Utd and was suffering the effects of old injuries when he joined us in my opinion so I've not included him.

Still an initial 'Charlton Olympic' 100 metre final list to mull over and perhaps amend.

Comments

• Kirk rinses all of them.
  • Steve Thompson, Phil Chapple and Les Berry
  • Off_it said:
    Steve Thompson, Phil Chapple and Les Berry
    Thomo?
    Thought he was quicker than he appeared…..a beast to get past though, put the fear of Christ up many an oppo forward, what a giant of a man he was……a fine player.
  • Peter Garland and Matt Holland.
  • edited January 2023
    Off_it said:
    Thomo?
    Thought he was quicker than he appeared…..a beast to get past though, put the fear of Christ up many an oppo forward, what a giant of a man he was……a fine player.
    He was pretty slow, but that was fine as not many got past him… if they did he cleaned them out.
  • Great tash as well 
  • Off_it said:
    Thomo?
    He was pretty slow, but that was fine as not many got past him… if they did he cleaned them out.
    I loved Thomo - but he had the turning circle of a super tanker and the same two basic speeds - dead slow and stop!
  • Ben Purrrrrrringtone
  • Ron Saunders who even fell over in slow motion.
  • Alan dugdale and Steve dowman 
  • Sponsored links:

• Ray Crawford would have struggled (but what a talented footballer), I suspect. I wonder about Cliff Holton, but anyone in his path would have got out of the way.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Kirk rinses all of them.
    in his day, going back in a time machine, Mike Kenning would give anyone a sprint for their money 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Kirk rinses all of them.
    in his day, going back in a time machine, Mike Kenning would give anyone a sprint for their money 
    My memory is that he forgot to take the ball with him sometimes 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Kirk rinses all of them.
    My memory is that he forgot to take the ball with him sometimes 
    indeed this was all too often a problem  :smile:
  • edited January 2023
    Harry Crips weren’t that quick but if we are talking proper speed merchants then Dennis in the last minute and Shaun Newton 😉.
  • A certain irony in the opening post. 

Len Glover could shift a bit. I remember thinking of him as a greyhound with his slightly stooped stance as he flew down the wing.  I was absolutely gutted when he signed for Leicester in 1967 for £80,000, a record fee for a winger at the time.  He had a great ten years at Leicester.

By any account he has led an interesting life meeting and rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous.  On the down side, he served a three and a half year prison sentence for his part in drug running.  The title of his book is 'From Left Wing to D Wing'. 

I think he's still alive - would be 79 or so.   
    Raith was it you that had a dig at Ron Saunders a while back…..I think it was?
    Just what is it you have against him…..he was very popular, a great nippy little player, are you serious saying he was slow?
    Had a superb goal scoring record at Pompey and a very respectable one for us.
    I and most others really rated him and he certainly was one of those who we were pleased to see on the team sheet.
  • edited January 2023
    Mike Kenning, along with Cliff Holton, he had the hardest shot I have ever seen from one of our players.
    He wasn’t by any means a big bloke, about 5ft- 9” I’d say but by Christ he could hit a ball like a canon ball. 
  • Mike Kenning, along with Cliff Holton, he had the hardest shot I have ever seen from one of our players.
    He wasn’t by any means a big bloke, about 5ft- 9” I’d say but by Christ he could hit a ball like a canon ball. 
    From what I can remember, Kenning rarely smiled and always looked like he was chewing a wasp unless he’d scored of course 😉.
  • Martin Pringle could shift when he pressed down the peddle…..certainly was very quick indeed.
  • Sponsored links:

Just what is it you have against him…..he was very popular, a great nippy little player, are you serious saying he was slow?
    I and most others really rated him and he certainly was one of those who we were pleased to see on the team sheet.
    Yes.  I remember he was at the end of his career when he played for us aged 33, 34.  He had a reputation for chasing everything including lost causes which annoyed me. 

Having said that I've just checked (and am surprised) by his decent goal tally (24 in 65).  TBF I was only 10/11 myself at the time, maybe I shouldn't have compared him with Jimmy Greaves.  :/  
    Hahaha..no it was me ..you do seem very protective of him 😉
  • edited January 2023
    lolwray said:
    Ron Saunders who even fell over in slow motion.
    No not really lol……it’s just that I am amazed that any Addick would harbour any negativity about him….he was a good solid  performer for us and well liked by the fan base.
  • John Barnes, so slow he never left the centre circle 
  • lolwray said:
    Ron Saunders who even fell over in slow motion.
    No not really lol……it’s just that I am amazed that any Addick would harbour any negativity about him….he was a good solid  performer for us and well liked by the fan base.
    I was only young ( 6 or 7) when I saw him play and I don't think he was having a good game ( the crowd were giving him stick) ..Will refer to you as @saunderswatch in future 😁