Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Happy Australia Day to all Addicks Down Under

However you are spending the day, be it celebrating or quite reflection, I hope our Aussie contingent have a good one. Cheers, Sideways

Comments

• Cheers cobber. Happy Australia Day !
    Currently in Thailand but shall hit the Aussie Bars later.
  • Happy Oz day to you mate. I'd actually forgotten it was a public holiday :)
  • edited January 2023
    Smoking ceremony modernised to vaping with the didgeridoo... there is a strong anti Australia Day vibe in the media.  'A day of mourning and sadness'  what rubbish - love the day and the kulture!
  • Smoking ceremony modernised to vaping with the didgeridoo... there is a strong anti Australia Day vibe in the media.  'A day of mourning and sadness'  what rubbish - love the day and the kulture!
    We are in Sydney and definitely witnessed a lot of anti Australia day vibes.  Didn't stop the family and I having a good day though. 
  • Surprised they do it in January, would have thought it would make more sense to wait 6 months to the summer and have it in better weather. 
    Just a mere 37c day 😊
  • g'day all .. have a great one
  • Have a couple of tinnies for me!  Love the Aussies when ever i have met them have always been great company and good for laugh.!

Even end up one night in Scottsdale AZ singing Waltzing Matilda, but thats another story!
  • Sponsored links:

• A bit late to this party but I had a great day
  • Smoking ceremony modernised to vaping with the didgeridoo... there is a strong anti Australia Day vibe in the media.  'A day of mourning and sadness'  what rubbish - love the day and the kulture!
    We are in Sydney and definitely witnessed a lot of anti Australia day vibes.  Didn't stop the family and I having a good day though. 
    Why?
    Why?
    Because it is seen by some as a celebration of the day that the British flag was raised at Sydney Cove in 1788 and is described by many as "invasion day" and a reflection of the loss of the sovereignty of the indigenous population. I spoke to my son today who is in Adelaide and works part time in a bar, expecting him to say that he had been rushed off their feet, but was surprised to learn that the bar closed early because it was so dead and asked him why this was. There have been any number of anti Australia Day protests and it is the fact that the date of the celebration coincides with the aforementioned event that is the issue and as a consequence there is a call for it to be moved or even abolished by some sections of their society. 
    Why?
    Because it is seen by some as a celebration of the day that the British flag was raised at Sydney Cove in 1788 and is described by many as "invasion day" and a reflection of the loss of the sovereignty of the indigenous population. I spoke to my son today who is in Adelaide and works part time in a bar, expecting him to say that he had been rushed off their feet, but was surprised to learn that the bar closed early because it was so dead and asked him why this was. There have been any number of anti Australia Day protests and it is the fact that the date of the celebration coincides with the aforementioned event that is the issue and as a consequence there is a call for it to be moved or even abolished by some sections of their society. 
    I don't get involved in politics but it's a very small section of society that want it moved or abolished. 
    It's all gotten very pc regarding the day since I first came here in 2005. Most now head to the beach if the weather is good, whereas years ago they'd flock to the pubs. I was surprised how busy my local shopping mall was when I went for coffee. 

Australia is very multicultural and the indigenous population are in a small minority but get a lot of attention due to history. I think many modern Australians resent this. 

Having said that I feel sorry for the true indigenous people. They lead a very primitive life in a modern country and the issues they have socially are a serious concern to anyone with a heart. But it's how they have always lived, just like their forbears with a few modern things thrown in like cars, housing and booze (latterly drugs too) and sadly it's not a good view of life looking from the outside. 

What the answer is, I don't know. They in the country areas want to live like their ancestors and modern day Australia doesn't quite know how to handle it. 
  • We had a good day here in Perth! 

Cheers all, 🍻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇦🇺
    Nice. Yup, certainly was a B..E..A..utiful day in Perth. I headed to Mullalloo beach in the morning.
  • Mullaloo is one of my favourite beaches here in WA.

Althought that footage of the tiger shark the other day was a bit unnerving 🦈 

If you haven’t seen it, I’ve added a still from the video below. It was just swimming right near people a few meters from shore.

Obviously we are entering their domain but I was only down there the Monday after new year with the kids!

• edited January 2023
    TEL said:
    Smoking ceremony modernised to vaping with the didgeridoo... there is a strong anti Australia Day vibe in the media.  'A day of mourning and sadness'  what rubbish - love the day and the kulture!
    Why?

Australia is very multicultural and the indigenous population are in a small minority but get a lot of attention due to history. I think many modern Australians resent this. 

For me, this says it all. I spent a year fruit picking in Australia and the attitudes to others once you leave the big cities, is mental.

Why?
    I understand but aren't they barking up the wrong tree?

The 26th of January was the day of the landing. At this moment the new arrivals knew nothing of the aboriginals and so had no plan of attack.

There must be other key genocide dates which could be chosen to make a protest. There is in fact already a National Sorry Day on May 26th.

Besides, wouldn't the younger generation in Australia do better focussing on the future. They should protest against Australia's awful climate policies. Australia is among the worst offenders for emissions, lack of renewables, and energy use.
  • And that’s before we start talking about the ‘501s’.  Australia has a policy of incarcerating convicted NZ criminals after they have completed their sentences before shipping them back to NZ.  So what you say.  Some 501s have lived nearly all their lives in Oz, have families and connections there and no connection to NZ whatsoever apart from their NZ citizenship.  It has been a point of contention for many years.  Interestingly, the reverse is not the case and Australian criminals remain in NZ after serving their sentences.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why have they got NZ citizenship and not Australian citizenship? 
  • Cann’t really answer that one MOL.  There are about 3,000 who fall into the category of 501s sent back to NZ, many of them into middle age and having lived most of their lives in Oz.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Why have they got NZ citizenship and not Australian citizenship? 
    Probably Australian Residents... like myself. I'm still a British citizen.