Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

SKY T.V

1235

Comments

  • Jints
    Jints Posts: 3,690
    I binned it after 20 years. Impossible, teeth grinding service. Happy with a Roku stick and an Ariel and an extra £40 a month
  • clive
    clive Posts: 20,858

    MPs could be set to vote on a proposal to make at least 10 Premier League games available on free-to-air television each season.

    The Liberal Democrats have tabled an amendment to the Football Governance Bill, which continues to make its way through parliament.

    The legislation will establish a regulator that is independent from government and the sport's authorities to oversee the men's game in England's top five divisions.

    The amendment would require it to ensure that the top-flight matches - along with the League Cup Final, and the Championship, League One and League Two play-off finals - would be free-to-air.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cy0wpvqwdw9o

  • I've got a 4K UHD TV but my Sky Box isn't compatible for UHD?
    Been told by Sky that to obtain UHD on Sky Sports etc,I would need an 'upgraded' box
    which I would have to pay for & subscribe to UHD..............I think that the 'upgrade' is a one-off payment of  about £100 and not sure if its worth it?
    Any advice would be appreciated Lifers?
  • HardyAddick
    HardyAddick Posts: 1,682
    UHD is so much better on SKY than standard SKY HD. Picture is a lot brighter and sharper. Be aware though that you still cannot get many UHD programmes still. You only get 2 sky sports channels with UHD - 1 and F1 or darts I think. Still worth it for £4pm
  • Talal
    Talal Posts: 12,087
    Curious to know whether those that still use Sky do so because they don't agree with IPTV or if it's for another reason? It can't be for the cost.
  • LargeAddick
    LargeAddick Posts: 34,655
    Talal said:
    Curious to know whether those that still use Sky do so because they don't agree with IPTV or if it's for another reason? It can't be for the cost.
    Some of us are luddites? I have no idea what IPTV is or how I’d access it if I did. Also my 90 year old parents live with us and it’s enough to be able to get them to use Sky in their lounge without introducing them to something more complicated. 
  • Talal
    Talal Posts: 12,087
    Talal said:
    Curious to know whether those that still use Sky do so because they don't agree with IPTV or if it's for another reason? It can't be for the cost.
    Some of us are luddites? I have no idea what IPTV is or how I’d access it if I did. Also my 90 year old parents live with us and it’s enough to be able to get them to use Sky in their lounge without introducing them to something more complicated. 
    Completely understand that. My mum still uses her freeview recorder and wouldn't want anything else.
  • Dippenhall
    Dippenhall Posts: 3,940
    Had a Firestick but my wife, who finds operating Xmas tree lights a challenge, can’t grasp it’s a device and not an App.

    She saw Sky Glass at a friends and arranged to get it installed and pay for it herself as I refused to have anything to do with it.

    Although she still doesn’t understand YouTube isn’t a Sky channel she can most times navigate to watch her favourite programmes. I had to set up the passwords and choose settings for her so thought she should be able to enjoy Sky Sport as a bonus.

    The point is that streaming devices, content providers and Apps are alien concepts to those of us brought up with an arial on the roof that plugged into your tv to watch live tv on either  BBC or ITV.
  • BalladMan
    BalladMan Posts: 1,519
    IPTV is illegal and some people have morals about stealing content. 
  • CaptainRobbo
    CaptainRobbo Posts: 2,825
    My Mrs has just wrangled a blinding deal out of SKY,
    Broadband
    Sky Cinema 
    Sky Sports 
    For £64 a month 
    Happy days 🥳 

  • Sponsored links:



  • se9addick
    se9addick Posts: 33,433
    My Mrs has just wrangled a blinding deal out of SKY,
    Broadband
    Sky Cinema 
    Sky Sports 
    For £64 a month 
    Happy days 🥳 
    That’s very good, I’m about to cancel and switch to Virgin Media as Sky are charging me about £100 more than that a month.
  • SuedeAdidas
    SuedeAdidas Posts: 8,178
    edited January 2
    UHD is so much better on SKY than standard SKY HD. Picture is a lot brighter and sharper. Be aware though that you still cannot get many UHD programmes still. You only get 2 sky sports channels with UHD - 1 and F1 or darts I think. Still worth it for £4pm
    I think it depends on your TV too. 
    I have a UHD Sony OLED. All other Sky Channel UHD programming looks great but I find that the live sport broadcasting is too dark. For this reason I always watch live football on HD rather than UHD. 
  • Just binned Sky after 26 years, they offered to cut my £58 per month contract to £25. There's no sport on that, and I can get all apps on the TV or phone and I can cast anything from the phone to the TV. I also called BT who have cut the broadband fee in half after I told them I was thinking of moving that to Sky. 

    Obvious I know but get on the phone to these people the day the contract finishes. 
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 9,553
    Has anyone tried Sky Stream?

    I've had Sky Q for years (1 main box, 3 minis) and I didn't have a problem with them at all at my old house.  We had Cat 6 run everywhere and they worked fine and they'd maybe go down once a year on average, if that.

    We moved a year ago, had ethernet run everywhere in the first couple of weeks before we even had Sky reinstalled and to begin with, everything was absolutely fine.  However, last 9 months or so, the mini boxes completely lose connection with the main box maybe 2-3 times an evening and it is driving me absolutely nuts.

    I've tried changing the main switch, I've tested all the cables yet Sky have been next to useless, because as soon as you say the boxes are on a wired network, they wash their hands of it (which I understand as every network is different and you can't really expect them to sort that out!)

    I wonder if its time to totally drop Sky Q and replace it with Stream as presumably all the stream boxes work independently and connect directly to the internet?

    Open to any words of wisdom :)
  • Rob7Lee
    Rob7Lee Posts: 9,988
    The minis connect over WiFi by default even if a wire is connected, change the setting to wired. I’d need to look at my settings, but from memory you need to turn off the 2.4ghz on the mini via the engineers menu, or may have been the main box.

    is the mini connected to the router or main Q box? And do you have sky broadband?
  • robinofottershaw
    robinofottershaw Posts: 2,126
    edited September 24
    I would also be interested if anyone has experience of Sky Stream. We also have 1 main Sky Q box and 3 mini boxes with 2 TVs on the ground floor and 2 in the basement.

    Our wifi provider is Gigaclear who are the only supplier of fibre to the premises in our village. Our house is a 16 year old Cotswold stone property with block and beam concrete floors and, despite have ethernet installed when the house was built, it is still a challenge to retain connectivity between the mini boxes and the main box. We did have an independent engineer install a new network router and wire Wireless Access Points into several of our ethernet sockets a year ago when we switched to Gigaclear which initially seemed to help. We also had a Sky engineer switch the 3 mini box settings from 2.4 to 5 Ghz which also seemed to help for a while (keeping the main box at 2.4 Ghz to retain connectivity with the incoming Gigaclear FTP). However, 50% of the time we switch on one of the 3 TVs connected to a mini box we have to go through the reconnection routine. The Sky engineers are loath to change anything else with our network setup and the independent engineer is coming again next week to have a look at it again.

    The last time a Sky engineer came he did suggest it might be better for us to switch to Sky Stream as he thought the stone and concrete construction of the house didn’t sit well with Sky Q but I have just put that off as I don’t know anyone locally who has Sky Stream.
  • Hex
    Hex Posts: 1,997
    I would also be interested if anyone has experience of Sky Stream. We also have 1 main Sky Q box and 3 mini boxes with 2 TVs on the ground floor and 2 in the basement.

    Our wifi provider is Gigaclear who are the only supplier of fibre to the premises in our village. Our house is a 16 year old Cotswold stone property with block and beam concrete floors and, despite have ethernet installed when the house was built, it is still a challenge to retain connectivity between the mini boxes and the main box. We did have an independent engineer install a new network router and wire Wireless Access Points into several of our ethernet sockets a year ago when we switched to Gigaclear which initially seemed to help. We also had a Sky engineer switch the 3 mini box settings from 2.4 to 5 Ghz which also seemed to help for a while (keeping the main box at 2.4 Ghz to retain connectivity with the incoming Gigaclear FTP). However, 50% of the time we switch on one of the 3 TVs connected to a mini box we have to go through the reconnection routine. The Sky engineers are loath to change anything else with our network setup and the independent engineer is coming again next week to have a look at it again.

    The last time a Sky engineer came he did suggest it might be better for us to switch to Sky Stream as he thought the stone and concrete construction of the house didn’t sit well with Sky Q but I have just put that off as I don’t know anyone locally who has Sky Stream.
    If the 3 mini boxes lose connection then maybe it's the link from the main Sky Q box that is problematic. 
  • MartinCAFC
    MartinCAFC Posts: 3,541
    I’ve got Sky Glass which uses Sky Stream and all works fine for me, and should be fine so long as you have a decent broadband package to go with it.
  • Hex said:
    I would also be interested if anyone has experience of Sky Stream. We also have 1 main Sky Q box and 3 mini boxes with 2 TVs on the ground floor and 2 in the basement.

    Our wifi provider is Gigaclear who are the only supplier of fibre to the premises in our village. Our house is a 16 year old Cotswold stone property with block and beam concrete floors and, despite have ethernet installed when the house was built, it is still a challenge to retain connectivity between the mini boxes and the main box. We did have an independent engineer install a new network router and wire Wireless Access Points into several of our ethernet sockets a year ago when we switched to Gigaclear which initially seemed to help. We also had a Sky engineer switch the 3 mini box settings from 2.4 to 5 Ghz which also seemed to help for a while (keeping the main box at 2.4 Ghz to retain connectivity with the incoming Gigaclear FTP). However, 50% of the time we switch on one of the 3 TVs connected to a mini box we have to go through the reconnection routine. The Sky engineers are loath to change anything else with our network setup and the independent engineer is coming again next week to have a look at it again.

    The last time a Sky engineer came he did suggest it might be better for us to switch to Sky Stream as he thought the stone and concrete construction of the house didn’t sit well with Sky Q but I have just put that off as I don’t know anyone locally who has Sky Stream.
    If the 3 mini boxes lose connection then maybe it's the link from the main Sky Q box that is problematic. 
    I don’t know. The Sky engineers walk around the house with a schematic of the mesh system on their tablet and seem to be able to work out where the drop off is occurring, but figuring out why seems to be the problem.
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 9,553
    Rob7Lee said:
    The minis connect over WiFi by default even if a wire is connected, change the setting to wired. I’d need to look at my settings, but from memory you need to turn off the 2.4ghz on the mini via the engineers menu, or may have been the main box.

    is the mini connected to the router or main Q box? And do you have sky broadband?
    Yes, thats right.  Engineer menu, turn off all the wifi, still hasn't made the slightest bit of difference unfortunately.

    Hex said:
    I would also be interested if anyone has experience of Sky Stream. We also have 1 main Sky Q box and 3 mini boxes with 2 TVs on the ground floor and 2 in the basement.

    Our wifi provider is Gigaclear who are the only supplier of fibre to the premises in our village. Our house is a 16 year old Cotswold stone property with block and beam concrete floors and, despite have ethernet installed when the house was built, it is still a challenge to retain connectivity between the mini boxes and the main box. We did have an independent engineer install a new network router and wire Wireless Access Points into several of our ethernet sockets a year ago when we switched to Gigaclear which initially seemed to help. We also had a Sky engineer switch the 3 mini box settings from 2.4 to 5 Ghz which also seemed to help for a while (keeping the main box at 2.4 Ghz to retain connectivity with the incoming Gigaclear FTP). However, 50% of the time we switch on one of the 3 TVs connected to a mini box we have to go through the reconnection routine. The Sky engineers are loath to change anything else with our network setup and the independent engineer is coming again next week to have a look at it again.

    The last time a Sky engineer came he did suggest it might be better for us to switch to Sky Stream as he thought the stone and concrete construction of the house didn’t sit well with Sky Q but I have just put that off as I don’t know anyone locally who has Sky Stream.
    If the 3 mini boxes lose connection then maybe it's the link from the main Sky Q box that is problematic. 
    well I'm glad to hear its not just us then, we seem to have the same problem.

    Yes, its definitely the link between the main box and the minis but you would have thought if they were ALL on ethernet, this wouldn't be a problem.


  • Sponsored links:



  • CaptainRobbo
    CaptainRobbo Posts: 2,825
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Has anyone tried Sky Stream?

    I've had Sky Q for years (1 main box, 3 minis) and I didn't have a problem with them at all at my old house.  We had Cat 6 run everywhere and they worked fine and they'd maybe go down once a year on average, if that.

    We moved a year ago, had ethernet run everywhere in the first couple of weeks before we even had Sky reinstalled and to begin with, everything was absolutely fine.  However, last 9 months or so, the mini boxes completely lose connection with the main box maybe 2-3 times an evening and it is driving me absolutely nuts.

    I've tried changing the main switch, I've tested all the cables yet Sky have been next to useless, because as soon as you say the boxes are on a wired network, they wash their hands of it (which I understand as every network is different and you can't really expect them to sort that out!)

    I wonder if its time to totally drop Sky Q and replace it with Stream as presumably all the stream boxes work independently and connect directly to the internet?

    Open to any words of wisdom :)
    Hopefully you haven't missed too many Spurs goals due to this issue. 
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 9,553
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Has anyone tried Sky Stream?

    I've had Sky Q for years (1 main box, 3 minis) and I didn't have a problem with them at all at my old house.  We had Cat 6 run everywhere and they worked fine and they'd maybe go down once a year on average, if that.

    We moved a year ago, had ethernet run everywhere in the first couple of weeks before we even had Sky reinstalled and to begin with, everything was absolutely fine.  However, last 9 months or so, the mini boxes completely lose connection with the main box maybe 2-3 times an evening and it is driving me absolutely nuts.

    I've tried changing the main switch, I've tested all the cables yet Sky have been next to useless, because as soon as you say the boxes are on a wired network, they wash their hands of it (which I understand as every network is different and you can't really expect them to sort that out!)

    I wonder if its time to totally drop Sky Q and replace it with Stream as presumably all the stream boxes work independently and connect directly to the internet?

    Open to any words of wisdom :)
    Hopefully you haven't missed too many Spurs goals due to this issue. 
    Ha.  1-0 CaptainRobbo!
  • MuttleyCAFC
    MuttleyCAFC Posts: 48,675
    I think the downside with Sky Stream is you can't record with it. But you can access most programmes via catch up. It depends on how you use your TV I suppose.
  • robinofottershaw
    robinofottershaw Posts: 2,126
    edited September 24
    The Sky Engineers tell me that as Sky Q will become increasingly redundant over time, so will they.
  • LargeAddick
    LargeAddick Posts: 34,655
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Has anyone tried Sky Stream?

    I've had Sky Q for years (1 main box, 3 minis) and I didn't have a problem with them at all at my old house.  We had Cat 6 run everywhere and they worked fine and they'd maybe go down once a year on average, if that.

    We moved a year ago, had ethernet run everywhere in the first couple of weeks before we even had Sky reinstalled and to begin with, everything was absolutely fine.  However, last 9 months or so, the mini boxes completely lose connection with the main box maybe 2-3 times an evening and it is driving me absolutely nuts.

    I've tried changing the main switch, I've tested all the cables yet Sky have been next to useless, because as soon as you say the boxes are on a wired network, they wash their hands of it (which I understand as every network is different and you can't really expect them to sort that out!)

    I wonder if its time to totally drop Sky Q and replace it with Stream as presumably all the stream boxes work independently and connect directly to the internet?

    Open to any words of wisdom :)
    We had a similar problem with one main box and two minis, one of them in a garden office, and ours was losing connection a few times a night. Luckily Sky sent round an engineer who knew what he was doing, linked them all up via an iPad, installed a couple of boosters to increase the range and bobs your uncle no problems since, that was a couple of years ago. Think it’s all down to getting an engineer who knows what he’s doing.
  • Hex
    Hex Posts: 1,997
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    The minis connect over WiFi by default even if a wire is connected, change the setting to wired. I’d need to look at my settings, but from memory you need to turn off the 2.4ghz on the mini via the engineers menu, or may have been the main box.

    is the mini connected to the router or main Q box? And do you have sky broadband?
    Yes, thats right.  Engineer menu, turn off all the wifi, still hasn't made the slightest bit of difference unfortunately.

    Hex said:
    I would also be interested if anyone has experience of Sky Stream. We also have 1 main Sky Q box and 3 mini boxes with 2 TVs on the ground floor and 2 in the basement.

    Our wifi provider is Gigaclear who are the only supplier of fibre to the premises in our village. Our house is a 16 year old Cotswold stone property with block and beam concrete floors and, despite have ethernet installed when the house was built, it is still a challenge to retain connectivity between the mini boxes and the main box. We did have an independent engineer install a new network router and wire Wireless Access Points into several of our ethernet sockets a year ago when we switched to Gigaclear which initially seemed to help. We also had a Sky engineer switch the 3 mini box settings from 2.4 to 5 Ghz which also seemed to help for a while (keeping the main box at 2.4 Ghz to retain connectivity with the incoming Gigaclear FTP). However, 50% of the time we switch on one of the 3 TVs connected to a mini box we have to go through the reconnection routine. The Sky engineers are loath to change anything else with our network setup and the independent engineer is coming again next week to have a look at it again.

    The last time a Sky engineer came he did suggest it might be better for us to switch to Sky Stream as he thought the stone and concrete construction of the house didn’t sit well with Sky Q but I have just put that off as I don’t know anyone locally who has Sky Stream.
    If the 3 mini boxes lose connection then maybe it's the link from the main Sky Q box that is problematic. 
    well I'm glad to hear its not just us then, we seem to have the same problem.

    Yes, its definitely the link between the main box and the minis but you would have thought if they were ALL on ethernet, this wouldn't be a problem.

    If they are all connected via ethernet, are they all connected to the router or a separate switch ?
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 9,553
    Hex said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    The minis connect over WiFi by default even if a wire is connected, change the setting to wired. I’d need to look at my settings, but from memory you need to turn off the 2.4ghz on the mini via the engineers menu, or may have been the main box.

    is the mini connected to the router or main Q box? And do you have sky broadband?
    Yes, thats right.  Engineer menu, turn off all the wifi, still hasn't made the slightest bit of difference unfortunately.

    Hex said:
    I would also be interested if anyone has experience of Sky Stream. We also have 1 main Sky Q box and 3 mini boxes with 2 TVs on the ground floor and 2 in the basement.

    Our wifi provider is Gigaclear who are the only supplier of fibre to the premises in our village. Our house is a 16 year old Cotswold stone property with block and beam concrete floors and, despite have ethernet installed when the house was built, it is still a challenge to retain connectivity between the mini boxes and the main box. We did have an independent engineer install a new network router and wire Wireless Access Points into several of our ethernet sockets a year ago when we switched to Gigaclear which initially seemed to help. We also had a Sky engineer switch the 3 mini box settings from 2.4 to 5 Ghz which also seemed to help for a while (keeping the main box at 2.4 Ghz to retain connectivity with the incoming Gigaclear FTP). However, 50% of the time we switch on one of the 3 TVs connected to a mini box we have to go through the reconnection routine. The Sky engineers are loath to change anything else with our network setup and the independent engineer is coming again next week to have a look at it again.

    The last time a Sky engineer came he did suggest it might be better for us to switch to Sky Stream as he thought the stone and concrete construction of the house didn’t sit well with Sky Q but I have just put that off as I don’t know anyone locally who has Sky Stream.
    If the 3 mini boxes lose connection then maybe it's the link from the main Sky Q box that is problematic. 
    well I'm glad to hear its not just us then, we seem to have the same problem.

    Yes, its definitely the link between the main box and the minis but you would have thought if they were ALL on ethernet, this wouldn't be a problem.

    If they are all connected via ethernet, are they all connected to the router or a separate switch ?
    All connected to the router by a switch...

    I'm on BT Full Fibre 900.  Their router connects to my TP-Link Omada switch and then everything runs off that.  My 6 APs, various ethernet going to other rooms which most they plug into a smaller switch, say for example, in my living room where my tv, sky q main box, firestick and the kids Nintendo connect to.  Same for the basement and my other 2 reception rooms.

    I used Chat GPT to trouble shoot and I ended up letting it analyse all the data packets on the main switch (way over my IT ability) and it didn't seem to think there was a problem.  I've turned off auto-standby on all the boxes, I've changed settings on the switch (as proposed by Chat GPT) but no joy and at the end of my tether.

    If it was me, I'd just stomach it but as I've got my parents living with us now and it seems like they watch tv every minute of every day, I feel more compelled to get it fixed!
  • MrOneLung
    MrOneLung Posts: 28,215
    We have got sky stream

    It is fine - you don't record, but you can just add series to your playlist and it just brings it up via iPLAYER or ITVX or Netflix etc

    prefer the UI from Virgin but they fucked us over when we moved house, and on installation day, they suddenly announced there would be a five week delay in installing so we went with sky

    Handy the hubs being easily movable if you wanna move a tv into a different room, or into the garden etc 
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 9,553
    MrOneLung said:
    We have got sky stream

    It is fine - you don't record, but you can just add series to your playlist and it just brings it up via iPLAYER or ITVX or Netflix etc

    prefer the UI from Virgin but they fucked us over when we moved house, and on installation day, they suddenly announced there would be a five week delay in installing so we went with sky

    Handy the hubs being easily movable if you wanna move a tv into a different room, or into the garden etc 
    One of the main reasons we watch stuff recorded is that we can skip through the adverts.
    I'm assuming with Sky Stream and playing stuff via the catch up services, I'm assuming we can't skip the ads?
    (That for meal would be an absolute deal breaker tbh!)
  • MrOneLung
    MrOneLung Posts: 28,215
    unfortunately not JohnBoy