Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tom Verlaine - RIP

Fantastic, clever guitarist.  Television front man.  Love Marquee Moon - one of my favourite albums of the 70’s.  RIP.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2023
    F*ck me, no!

Love Marquee Moon, still play it. I was lucky enough to see them play the album at Shepards Bush Empire.

R I P
  • Options
    An extremely talented front man, who was hugely influential during the late 70s.  Marquee Moon is a fabulous debut album and I too still listen to it regularly.  I saw them play once back in the day...

I bought tickets last year (June) to see The Go-Gos, supporting Billy Idol, but that got delayed and Go-Gos couldn't do the new dates last October. I would have cashed in the tickets, but Television were announced as the new support. I was very excited to see them again after all these years... Then they pulled out close to the date due to illness, so I got my money back...

RIP great man. You will be sorely missed.
  • Options
    Is it just us three that appreciated the man?
  • Options
    One of my heroes too, and Marquee Moon is one of the all time great albums. Little Johnny Jewel I love as well. 
    Always regretted not having seen them play live. 
    RIP Tom. 
  • Options
    Well, the Cadillac
    It pulled out of the graveyard
    Pulled up to me
    All they said, "Get in, get in"
    Then the Cadillac
    It puttered back into the graveyard
    Me, I got out again.
  • Options
    RIP. I was too young to have heard them when they came out, but when I discovered Television in the mid 80s I could hear that so many of the bands I liked had taken an awful lot from Verlaine - particularly the likes of Josef K and the Go Betweens. Massively influential as a lyricist as well. As one comment I read said, he changed how a virtuoso guitarist was seen, no longer just about blues-driven solos, but a more jazz-influenced approach. 
  • Options
    Legend.