Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zach Mitchell - League One Apprentice of the Season (p2)

Comments

• Options
    I’ve watched him in the u21s this season, it’s brilliant as a Charlton fan, with all the ownership distractions going on, to have something to cheer about.
  • Options
    He's only 18 which is really young for a centre back, so I don't think we should be expecting him to be playing too many games in the near future, other than due to emergencies or sub cameos.
  • Options
    He's only 18 which is really young for a centre back, so I don't think we should be expecting him to be playing too many games in the near future, other than due to emergencies or sub cameos.
    Contract to 2025, which means he'll probably play a few games next year and then become a regular in 24-25 and play really well just in time to leave us when his contract expires.

It's such a shame that whilst we're treading water in this league pretty much any decent prospect will leave us fairly quickly. 
  • Options
    He's been playing midfield for the under 21s in recent games. Great a driving forward and good passing.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    He's been playing midfield for the under 21s in recent games. Great a driving forward and good passing.
    Very impressive in midfield. I would love to see him play there before the season ends.
    I thought he may have played against MK alongside Dobbo as they play two just behind the striker.
    Maybe Dobbo and Zach with Payne in front?
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    He's clearly a good "baller", but being a good defender or even defensive midfielder is very different, and something he'll take time to develop. The positional knowledge, the strength to challenge and hold off centre forwards etc

Jason Pearce is the perfect person to teach him this.
  • Options
    I like the way this fella plays , early days but doesn’t look out of his depth and I can only judge on the limited I’ve seen 
  • Options
    I think he'll be like a Declan Rice kind of player, whether he'll be that good is down to him and his agent, regarding his career path.
  • Options
    Come home, Zach.
  • Options
    Even his brother admit's he has more ability than him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Zach is an exceptional talent.  Quick, strong and tenacious.  He reads the game well too and has an excellent burst of pace to get him out of trouble.  Very exciting player to have in our ranks

He originally came to us as a midfielder but we converted him to a centre back - but I agree he has the making of a great midfielder.
  • Options
    Every so often I find myself advising caution when judging or making assumptions about the youngsters.
    We probably get it about right at Charlton judging by how many come through our ranks and then make a living as a footballer.
    Zach is a great footballer to watch during these development years but he will make mistakes and be inconsistent.
    I was heartened somewhat by the reaction to the bad mistake Lucas Ness made at Plymouth that our support came to terms with that.
    We want (and get) our guys to come through and make it, but that path has to be combined with tolerance when things go wrong, as well as being cautious and measured when things go right.
    In my opinion, one way of judging the potential of an under 20/21 player is how they are against their peers, if they seem better than their equivalent at Colchester, or Millwall or Crystal Palace. If they do, it says something about their future prospects as generations at different clubs mature.
    Is there an Albie Morgan equivalent in age at QPR for example, who he would have played against frequently, who is now doing better than him?
  • Options
    Winner of the EFL League One Apprentice of the Season, sponsored by LFE, Zach Mitchell of Charlton Athletic speaking on-stage.

"When you think about past winners and what they have achieved you can only aspire to follow that type of trajectory. It is an accolade that is a step in the right direction and I think more than anything I am extremely grateful for everyone who has helped me on my journey."
  • Options
    really pleased for him - intelligent lad, with plenty of family backing and a serious amount of talent.  There’s a really good one in there
  • Options
    Will he be playing against Hendon at Princes Park on Wednesday evening? I hope so.
  • Options
    Should start the last 2 games, he can’t make our defence any worse than it already is. Maybe switch to a back 3 so it’s a little easier for him 
  • Options
    He's won the EFL League One Apprentice of the Year award

Two years on the trot isnt it, following Deji Elerewe from last season

Which is a cautionary tale in itself, when it comes to managing our expectations for how much he will play next season. Other than 1 Pizza Cup game, Deji hasn't played a single minute of first team football this season for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fantastic achievement for this talented young man ! 

Well done, Zach ! 

Onwards & upwards with CAFC ! 
  • Options
    What I've seen of him he looks a talent. If he's good enough get him in the team. Paul Elliot was about the same age when he broke through.

Trouble is that they are then in the shop window and other clubs notice if they haven't already.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Winner of the EFL League One Apprentice of the Season, sponsored by LFE, Zach Mitchell of Charlton Athletic speaking on-stage.

"When you think about past winners and what they have achieved you can only aspire to follow that type of trajectory. It is an accolade that is a step in the right direction and I think more than anything I am extremely grateful for everyone who has helped me on my journey."
    Wealdstone on loan it is then!
    ….Jordan Cousins, Joe Gomez, Ademola Lookman all did okay after winning this award.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

….Jordan Cousins, Joe Gomez, Ademola Lookman all did okay after winning this award.
    I was joking. It’s a great accolade for the lad. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

👍🏻 I really do think Zach will go far, just 18, seems to get bigger by the week and definitely talented, lovely lad too. 
  • Options
    He will be a very good player!

Would like him to play the last couple of games
  • Options
    He should be playing the last two games , it was Keystone cops defending at the weekend.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

👍🏻 I really do think Zach will go far, just 18, seems to get bigger by the week and definitely talented, lovely lad too. 
    Definitely, hope he gets minutes between now and the end of the season and is a big part of our plans for next season. 
  • Options
    I would have him in and around the first time next season for sure. Proper talent. 

Could he possibly sit in front of the back 4 if Dobbo is injured etc? 
  • Options
    Sorry to go off piste but is Deji playing for Bromley whom have been in good form and into the play offs and how is he getting on.  

Some of those National League teams would be no worse than many in L1 (Wrexham/Notts County etc) and I think Bromley were playing them after he joined.  Still high hopes for him, maybe next season.

Mitchell is one of those players you see once and know he will go on to have a great career.  PL all day, just what level wen he gets there.

A decent new owner persuading these kids and the best of the U18's to stick with us another season could really hit a strong vein of kids.