Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Away grounds you’ve only been to once, and can never go back

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Zero, could always go back a second time.

However, I'll not go back to Sainsburys again after Dennis in the last minute.  I'm quitting whilst ahead.

Likewise with 15th May 2005, I'll not watch those pricks again.  This day was ample worth the suffering we have now.

Went to the 2-0 game in the snow against 'them'. Again, quitting whilst ahead have not seen the spanners against us, home or away.  'Stern John' game aside.
  • Options
    Have done about 145 grounds with us, but would be able to break down better on a 'clear' head.
  • Options
    A lot of new ground syndrome showing up here , must explain our pathetic numbers throughout the years .
    Ive been to 70ish  grounds and I’m struggling to think of many I only went to once 

Northampton Towns old ground at the cricket ground 
    Bristol Rovers Twerton Park 
    Given the above I'm interested to know how you criticise our away following.
  • Options
    A lot of new ground syndrome showing up here , must explain our pathetic numbers throughout the years .
    Ive been to 70ish  grounds and I’m struggling to think of many I only went to once 

How many aways do you go to each season?

• Options

How many aways do you go to each season?

Not many nowadays due to kids having football, go karting , indoor cricket and other shit going on 
    we get to most home games .

im like an old pro who’s been there seen it done it , so more than qualified to pass my opinion on away numbers .

im not gonna waste my time going to watch any other teams , it’s Charlton or no one for me .
  • Options

I did years of going to most games from 1985-2000 ish  then family and other committments come along (I had an away season ticket for that first season in the Prem) 

I’ve done the hard yards , one season late 80s saw every game home and away .

I was going to away games not because it was a new ground but because I was following Charlton hence most grounds I’ve been to 2+ times 

I think our numbers have been pony I’ve been there , seen it , done it .
    Ive now got my eldest son going to away games without me , he’s going to Derby with mates on Saturday , it’ll be his second visit  there , he’s not a new ground one off  merchant , he’s an away day Addick !!
    So for the past 20 years you have attended how many each season on average?
  • Options
    4 away and 16 at home (home season ticket holder since 1984 ) 
  • Options
    Muirton Park - also witnessed some of the worst violence I have seen at football there in 1984
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Den 
    Upton Park
    White Hart Lane
    Highbury
    Elm Park
    Plough Lane (old)
    Watling Street
    Highfield Road
    Layer Road 
    Old Crawley Town Ground
  • Options

Hereford 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I went to the original Stadio della Alpi in Turin where Chris Waddles penalty went into orbit in 1990, it was knocked down and Juventus (who shared it originally with Torino) rebuilt it on the same site a la Tottenham. It’s true that it was poorly designed, everybody was too far from the pitch, but the day I went the Torino fans generated a great atmosphere for all that. It’s the only ground where I’ve gone to sit down after a goal and found a watch on my seat - it belonged to an old dear about five rows in front who went potty when Torro scored, sending the timepiece flying through the air.
  • Options
    Main Road
    Filbert Street
    Watling Street

• Options
    Forest Green Rovers. 
    Poxy vegan stuff 
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:t
    Muirton Park - also witnessed some of the worst violence I have seen at football there in 1984
    Whose ground is that? Gotta admit I’ve never heard of it
  • Options
    St. Johnstone - one of the lost grounds of Scotland.  I have been to most of the lost grounds in Scotland but nearly always multiple times. Weirdly, I’ve also been to Filbert Street and Underhill, the only English League games that I have seen that didn’t involve Charlton
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    The Den 
    Upton Park
    White Hart Lane
    Highbury
    Plough Lane (old)
    Layer Road 
    Manor Ground
    Griffin Park
    Goldstone Ground

• Options
    addickson said:
    St. Johnstone - one of the lost grounds of Scotland.  I have been to most of the lost grounds in Scotland but nearly always multiple times. Weirdly, I’ve also been to Filbert Street and Underhill, the only English League games that I have seen that didn’t involve Charlton
    Correct - actually looking it up it was April 1983, St Johnstone vs Hearts - both gunning for (and ultimately achieving) promotion to the SPL - hordes of Hearts fans up from Edinburgh caused loads of trouble outside & inside the ground throughout the day
  • Options
    Griffin Park. That was a great ground.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Twerton once maybe twice.
    Highbury
    Barnet
    Highfield Rd
    The Dell
    Burnden
    Saltergate
    Boothferry
    Old Wembley
    Elm Park a chaotic chase at a " Friendly"
    Filbert St
    Layer Rd
    Gay Meadow
    Maine Rd
    Manor Ground
    Plough Lane Boxing Day game
    probably others 
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Hereford 
    Thought they still played there 🤷‍♂️ so if we had them again maybe I’d go … maybe not !

Edit: just checked and Hereford United dissolved in 2014 and phoenix club Hereford came alive and play at Edgar Street so technically a different club !

Ive only included first team competitive matches , not club friendlies I’ve seen us in Ireland and Holland play  but that was for the nightlife !

just looked up Ancona , we played them in Anglo Italian 1993 (30 years ago fffs @stop_shouting ) and drew 1-1 , I went to that ground and they don’t exist anymore , so can add Ancona to the list of one visit not possible to go again 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    oohaahmortimer said:
    Ive been to 70ish grounds and I’m struggling to think of many I only went to once 

I'm genuinely surprised you've only done 70 odd grounds. Do you know your rough total of overall away games ?

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Only once:

Old Wembley
    Griffin Park
    Possibly Goodison

• Options
    Goldstone 
    Highbury
    WHL
    Eastville
    Griffin Park
    plough Lane
    Filbert Street
    Ayresome Park
    Recreation ground 

• Options
    oohaahmortimer said:
    Ive been to 70ish grounds and I’m struggling to think of many I only went to once 

I'm genuinely surprised you've only done 70 odd grounds. Do you know your rough total of overall away games ?

375-400 ‘competitive’ first team fixtures I reckon in just shy of 40 years since I started going away at the age of 14 
    i played footy /cricket on Saturdays as well for a bit and then kids came along ….and we became third tier shit 

• Options
    Once

Roker
    Boothferry Park
    Burnden Park
    (Soon to be) Goodison
    Highfield Rd
    Twerton Park
    Kingsmeadow
    Elm Park
    Victoria Ground

More than once

Ayresome
    Maine Rd
    Baseball Ground
    County Ground (Northampton)
    Plough Lane
    Underhill
    Goldstone Ground
    Den
    Watling St
    Upton Park
    Highbury
    Dell
    Griffin Park
    Manor Ground
    Filbert St
    White Hart Lane
    Wembley 

• Options
    Boundary Park 
  • Options
    Layer Road, Colchester
    Saltergate, Chesterfield
    Underhill, Barnet
    Ninian Park, Cardiff
    Twerton Park, Bristol Rovers
    Victoria Ground, Stoke
    Vetchfield, Swansea (not with cafc)
    Leeds Road, Huddersfield (not with cafc)

away days were all a bit of a blur back in the day so there’s also a few I attended but not sure if more than once. They are;
    Boothferry Park Hull convinced I’ve been more than once but can only recall a 2-2 draw with all goals coming late.
    Burnden Park, Bolton can only remember the 5-1 drubbing in the last game there.
    Roker Park, Sunderland can only remember a 2-1 win with David white scoring.
    Ayersome Park, Middlesbrough can only remember Catons last ditch Penalty followed by trying to escape certain death.
  • Options
    Layer road underhill Elm Park Maine road highfield road