Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cheltenham 2023 thread

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    4.10 Chriss Dream @ 11.0 (BF)
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Cracking gold cup that.
    Had Brave mans game so got my money back.
    Did everything right just struggled at the top of the hill.
  • Options
    Cracking gold cup that.
    Had Brave mans game so got my money back.
    Did everything right just struggled at the top of the hill.
    Never going to beat GDC in that form. BMG had a great run for second.
  • Options
    Looked some heavy falls there. Glad to hear they're all up ok 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Looked some heavy falls there. Glad to hear they're all up ok 
    Yeah that Hewick one looked shocking. Got back up tho.
  • Options
    Had him at 80 to 1 :)
  • Options
    Well that race was a real Placepot buster. Good luck if you're still in because, with one leg to go, it is going to pay big come what may.
  • Options
    Well that race was a real Placepot buster. Good luck if you're still in because, with one leg to go, it is going to pay big come what may.
    Currently at around £14k a unit with one race to go
  • Options
    What a good day to be a bookie!!
  • Options
    By my calculations it's going to pay £23,672.88. Don't quote me on that though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spanish Harlem in the last to save the day with a bit of each way on West To The Bridge
  • Options
    Said it looked a tough day!
  • Options
    Irish Hill in the last.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Irish Hill in the last.
    So did I.  Ran like it was missing a leg. I must’ve jinxed it!!
  • Options
    Up a few quid on the four days so mustn't grumble. Desperately poor last day though. 
  • Options
    a very few quid up on the week .. the main thing though has been the high quality racing even though the 2 big ones were won by red hot favs ... another bonanza for the Burghers of Cheltenham  :)
  • Options
    Best festival for a while personally…great event, some brilliant races over the fours days. Bloody love Cheltenham. 
  • Options
    3 winners, 3 places from 13 runners. A good meeting especially after Tuesday and Wednesday. 
  • Options
    Well up after a good double on Wednesday.
    Few small tote wins and a couple of each ways.

Big shout to these online bookies offering free betting money. I'm not a huge gambler so 40 quid in freebies would've payed for what was a cracking Cheltenham week anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    10 bets, 5 wins, 2 places. The 3 losers were my last 3 bets. 
  • Options
    Some lad on twitter has followed a tipster account's bets to the tee today, with some on multiples, and has won £35k. I picked and chose what to follow and won £50 🙃
  • Options
    good to see the English trainers Nicholls and Skelton getting in the frame a few times, chipping away at what has become an Irish Benefit Week .. does Irish racing receive a tax incentive or benefits from their government?
    I have always felt that horses are much more 'in the spirit and blood' of the Irish people than is the case in England, plus the richest UK owners seem to be placing more and more of their expensive and promising N H (especially) horses with the top Irish trainers. This leads of course to better quality racing in Ireland, competitive festivals and meetings with very good prize money
  • Options
    By my calculations it's going to pay £23,672.88. Don't quote me on that though!
    Miles out - it was actually £23,675.10
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    So is the Irish handicapper very generous and rates on the low side ? 
    Sort of but this isn't necessary the fault of the Irish handicapper. There are mitigating circumstances but it definitely isn't a level playing field.

The first thing is that the Irish horses are handicapped in relation to each other so as long as they are running in the same company then it is a fair, relatively speaking, contest. The Irish, though, have tended, in recent times, to have the best horses. If you went back say 20 years or so then you would have found that the owners attached to the top stables here bought many of the French young horses as well as the Irish ones too. As time has gone on, most of all of those horses on have been bought by the Irish so they not only end up with the best of their own but the best of the overseas. There have been Cheltenham Festivals in the past where the Irish have not trained a single winner. A couple of years ago they trained 23 of the 28 winners. 

Something like 60% of National Hunt races in Britain are handicaps. In Ireland it is only about 35%. Prizemoney is also less here and this instantly outlines the issues, not only with prize money but also the types of races available and the frequency of them. Having so many of these types of races isn't good, the calendar is too clustered and the higher-class horses have a wider spread of races available, meaning they rarely have to race against each other here. Aiming a horse at one of the few festivals in Ireland means all similar horses have to compete with each other in the build-up to it, giving an accurate outlook on how good the horse is and the type of opposition it would be competitive against. For this reason, as a rule of thumb, the Irish horses can be anything between 5lb and 10lb "well in" against their British counterparts. 

As I indicated above, better horses lead to a better standard of racing

• Options
    Have purchased for weds and Thursday next year today.

have gone club enclosure for weds and Thursday have gone tattersalls mainly due to the thurs this year being in carling bay all day and walking out too bookies and watching the race at the finish line was a Perfect spot hopefully next year trains are fully operational. 

The national express to and from the racecourse this year on the Thursday worked however massively false advertising it drops you a half hour walk from the racecourse. 

The weds however was perfect we got a train from Euston at 8.10 to brum dropped bags in brum then was in Cheltenham town centre the feathered fish by 11.30 having a pint then simply walked to the racecourse