Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone never been to a home game or away game?

As a counter to the other threads anyone never done a single away or home game (either or both) with Charlton?
 (excluding our regular Millwall gentlemen posters and posters from other clubs of course)

Comments

• At a guess, the current owner of the Valley and Sparrows Lane fits the bill ( Roderick not Roland). But then again Roderick is probably not a Lifer
  • My last home game, when I actually went in and sat in the ground, was over 14 years ago
  • I reckon every game we played at Selhurst and Upton Parks 35-odd years ago was neither home nor away....
  • My last home game was the Powell promotion season finale with the red devils parachuting in culminating with Kermorgant's wonder strike. Can't believe how quickly the time has passed since. Only game since then, well it had to be didn't it, "with seconds remaining, we've done it Tel!" and the BFG. Sound familiar! 

Perhaps I should go more often 😉
  • I've never been to an away game*. For some reason I have no interest in them.

* Wembley for the 18/19 Playoff final doesn't count 
  • NapaAddick maybe?
  • Sponsored links:

• Since 1962 I’ve only been to a couple of games.  Distance is a factor.  In the 1950s - umpteen.
  • Since 1962 I’ve only been to a couple of games.  Distance is a factor.  In the 1950s - umpteen.
    You could walk it in half an hour(ish) from Blackheath... ;)
  • Not been to The Valley since……last Saturday
  • I’ve not been to a match this season but I’ve watch every match via Charlton TV.🥳
  • I've never been to an away game*. For some reason I have no interest in them.

* Wembley for the 18/19 Playoff final doesn't count 
    I'm pretty much the same these days. I went to a fair amount in the late 80's and throught the 90's, but pretty much stopped bothering once we got to the prem. My last away trip (barring the play-off final) was to sheff utd in the FA cup, towards the end of SCP's reign. 2013?
    How do you know it’s not Blackheath in the Blue Mountains, NSW

How do you know it’s not Blackheath in the Blue Mountains, NSW

Ok then 45 minutes then!!..😉
  • edited February 2023
    Last game I went to was the 2-2 vs Scunthorpe in 2011.
    Was ST holder from 2002 (when north upper opened) until I left London in 2007.
    Every single time I’ve been back in London has been outside of the football season (apart from 2011). 
    I really should’ve been to the Welling pre-season in 2018, but I got stuck in the pub next to the ground. I don’t like friendliest anyway, but in hindsight should’ve made a bigger effort given the rare opportunity to see them play.
  • I think the pub was the best option.
  • Sponsored links:

• My cousin's grandson...

Mind you, he's only 2 weeks old
  • Jessie said:
    @Jessie could fall in to this category but hope she can live the dream one day 
    Yes I do hope so! :)

Indeed. Its just an interesting (to me) concept that we might have posters who spend days on here and are nuts about Charlton but have never done a home or away or one or the other for reasons like geography etc.

Imagine it's prolific at the big clubs but supporting us from afar would take real spirit/ issues!
    Yes especially in recent years when we've been stuck in the third division for so long. There are quite some die-hard supporters of the relatively smaller clubs (compared to the likes of ManU Chelsea etc.) such as West Ham Everton here in China. They have their own online groups and off-line activities whereas I am probably the only 'REAL'* Charlton fan here so following us from afar can make you feel a bit lonely if you know what I mean. Back in the 2000's I was an active member on a Chinese messageboard for Charlton Athletic - there were only a few other active memebers on there and they gave me the nickname 'Godmother' (despite I was only in my early 20's :D ) because I was a die-hard Charlton fan and knew so much about the club - well of course I know far less than all of you do but I was definitely the expert compared to them. Nobody was a bigger fan than me in the whole country otherwise I would already have discovered him/her! :D

I should add that this forum has kept me going in the past decade, with the nicest things happening for me as a foreign supporter through the help of Jean and other Lifers. Being on here 'talking about' Charlton and various other things has made me feel part of the big Charlton family despite never having been to London.

I run a Weibo (Chinese equivalent to Twitter) account doing match reports. I've been doing it for 8 years now. The reports are just 200 words long usually (maybe they should be called briefings?) but still I've never missed one match. I used to post a lot more stuff about us but in recent years I got busy with other stuff in life. I actually don't care that much if my following grows bigger or not now (it has stayed around 3100 followers for one or two years) it just has become a habbit of mine to post in the next morning after a match. That said, I don't stay up late nowadays to wait for the match result like I used to as I find it difficult to recover the next day.

Anyway, yes it does take some spirit considering we've been out of the Premier League since ages ago. I still do hope, that one day we'll return to the top flight!!!

*REAL means supporting this club as my No.1 club and almost don't follow any other clubs. There're some people that check our match results once in while but they have their No.1 club which they ardently follow - usually the big ones. 
    Hi @Jessie

That is a fantastic post. Can I ask what led you to pitch Charlton as your team all those years ago ? I presume it would be alot easier to support Manchester Utd etc in terms of coverage in China ? But you chose to be infected by the curse that is Charlton. 
    Hopefully one day you can get over for a game
  • TimAddick said:
    Indeed. Its just an interesting (to me) concept that we might have posters who spend days on here and are nuts about Charlton but have never done a home or away or one or the other for reasons like geography etc.

Imagine it's prolific at the big clubs but supporting us from afar would take real spirit/ issues!
    I was regular at the Valley until parents dragged me to OZ in April 63. I have seen 10 games since when visiting UK. Even went to Selhurst in 87, when we beat Villa. My dad's cousin, a Palace supporter who had a soft spot for Charlton came with me. He was the person that took me to my first game at the Valley in 1954. Lovely person. 
    When I first arrived in Australia it was hard to get results in newspapers as they only gave details of div 1. However I found out the British consulate had an office with a reading room and this was close to where I worked. Would pop in once a week to read the British newspapers. Later I realised the Mirror had a weekly digest so I started buying that.
    It is hard being so far away but internet has been a boon. Also, even though I do not know any of you personally, this forum has allowed me to be part of the Charlton family. For that I am really grateful.

Another excellent post. When I saw the title of this thread I didn’t expect it to throw up much content, but it’s been a real revelation. 
  • edited February 2023
     Sometimes, I wish hadn't started.
  •  Sometime, I wish hadn't started.
    Certainly more despondency than joy, maybe there part of the attraction, I’d imagine it would be easy to follow a team, that won a lot of matches, but as they say it’s the hope that kills you.