Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dickie Davies RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    A fantastic broadcaster RIP
  • Options
    RIP part of my youth.
  • Options
    RIP Dickie. I remember he announced that a large group of Charlton fans had been arrested prior to the Blackpool away match in 1972. 😱
  • Options
    Acab said:
    RIP Dickie. I remember he announced that a large group of Charlton fans had been arrested prior to the Blackpool away match in 1972. 😱
    Bloody hooligans 

RIP.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    RIP. Was a Grandstand boy myself, but always dipped in to the other side for Saint and Greavsie, etc.
    Were you a grappling fan and dip back around 4 for live wrestling from Rochdale Town Hall or other exotic locations) presented by Kent Wallton?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Pedro45 said:
    RIP. Was a Grandstand boy myself, but always dipped in to the other side for Saint and Greavsie, etc.
    Were you a grappling fan and dip back around 4 for live wrestling from Rochdale Town Hall or other exotic locations) presented by Kent Wallton?
    Jackie Pallo, Mick McManus, Giant Haystacks, Big Daddy, Kendo Nagasaki et al - a million miles away from WWE!

Very good presenter and as others have said part of the soundtrack to youth for some of us more matures members of CL.

RIP Dickie
  • Options
    RIP Dickie, we were lucky as we had Dickie with World of Sport on ITV, and Frank Bough on Grandstand with the BBC. 
    I was mainly a Grandstand viewer until the wrestling came on, then I'd switch over, when not down The Valley of course.
    Dickie was a great broadcaster, for me, in the same Ilk as the late great Brian Moore.
  • Options
    Everyone remembers the wrestling, but what else did World of Sport show?
  • Options
    A wide variety of stuff - stock cars, waterskiing, ten pin bowling amongst other niche sports !!

RIP Dickie - came across as a lovely man - what an innings, especially as he had a stroke in the 1990’s
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    smooth as silk .. surely the model for Des Lynam ? .. R I P Dickie
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    The ITV 7 of course (horse racing for anyone puzzled) with the hat-tipping John Rickman.
    Happy days.

• Options
    RIP, didn’t really he was that age!
  • Options
    They look very similar as well.
  • Options
    A wide variety of stuff - stock cars, waterskiing, ten pin bowling amongst other niche sports !!

RIP Dickie - came across as a lovely man - what an innings, especially as he had a stroke in the 1990’s
    It was a very different area of sport looking back. Both channels having wall to wall sport on Saturday afternoon, the only opportunity to see many sports.
  • Options
    They look very similar as well.

STOCK IMAGE  UKWT_011436B_07 01ASW4KQ  UPPA - Search
  • Options
    Bloody hell, I assumed he died years ago 
  • Options
    RIP. Can't get the Half Man Half Biscuit song out of my head 
  • Options
    Occasionally Scrambling and rarer still trials bike riding. Horse racing dominated both channels. 
  • Options
    All I remember is hours and hours of godawful wrestling and horse racing from the end of the world filmed through a misty camera.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Hal1x said:
    All I remember is hours and hours of godawful wrestling and horse racing from the end of the world filmed through a misty camera.

Wrestling Giffer  classic-wrestling-gifs Big Daddy vs Giant
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    No thats not the one I saw, Mick McManus was in it, and some old bag in the front row kept trying to hit him with a brolly, oh and there was some wally in a mask pretending to be from Japan. It seemed to be on all day and EVERY week.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    No thats not the one I saw, Mick McManus was in it, and some old bag in the front row kept trying to hit him with a brolly, oh and there was some wally in a mask pretending to be from Japan. It seemed to be on all day and EVERY week.

Kendo Nagasaki.

The other one I can remember clearly was Johny Kwango who used to head butt his opponents (well not really!).
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Hal1x said:

Kendo Nagasaki.

The other one I can remember clearly was Johny Kwango who used to head butt his opponents (well not really!).
    You must have forgotten Les Kellett & the 'Royal Brothers' [tag team] comprising Bert Royal & Vic Faulkner
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Hal1x said:

Kendo Nagasaki.

Bless you!
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    bobmunro said:
    Hal1x said:

I seem to remember a Johnny Quango who used to wrap his opponents up in Red Tape...... I ffank uwe....
  • Options
    clive said:
    bobmunro said:
    Hal1x said:

Kendo Nagasaki.

You must have forgotten Les Kellett & the 'Royal Brothers' [tag team] comprising Bert Royal & Vic Faulkner
    I remember them, and also Leon Harris (Brian Glover the actor).

• Options
    They sometimes showed a 5 minute highlight tape of the Superbowl and also the Rose Bowl, a college football game played every New Year. Lots of what they showed was bargain basement stuff, probably distributed for free. Infamous parties at LWT, apparently. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Hal1x said:

Kendo Nagasaki.

and Billy Two Rivers, who, astonishingly was actually a Canadian Mohawk !!