Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Houses on The Valley

Can anyone build houses on the Valley.

Profitable, or not?  Discuss

And keep it off the take over thread, at least for a week.  🙏 

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Nah...
    Now any news on the takeover... ;)
  • Options
    Remember Rozalla singing about Peace In The Valley back in the early 90s. Not sure that’s possible now either 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:

Is that you Roland?
    Equating being pissed off about the round and round, if buts and maybes, on the take over threads to it being a good idea? 

Is that you Thomas?

Bizarre 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    If I was desperate to build in the Charlton area I'd look at the retail parks on the other side of the Woolwich Road rather than The Valley. Plenty of struggling businesses over there and people will pay a premium to be that much closer to the river. Best of all there'd be far fewer legal and political hoops to jump through and certainly no emotionally attached mob looking to make your life hell at every turn.
  • Options
    Remember Rozalla singing about Peace In The Valley back in the early 90s. Not sure that’s possible now either 
    Ha, how on earth did you remember that song?!?!
  • Options
    I was hoping to put a hotel on it, but I'll need a get out of jail free card before I get passed go on that one 😉
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:

I bet they would stop more shots than our defence,  great idea call the Sangaard's and say you're an expert 43v3r!
  • Options
    Think that all the time the Club is in existence and not planning on ground sharing, developing on the Valley just ain't viable, by the time you add all the other aspect to the mix.

- Access during construction.
    - Access once developed (convincing Council it wouldn't be an issue on a daily basis)
    - Is there not still some sort of community asset protection on it?
    - Returns on the initial £53m land investment (is that figure not inflated? And, if it is, is it not inflated purely because you're buying a perfectly good football stadium, as oposed to a plot without a stadium on it?).

- Add to the obove the costs of re-homing the Club, assuming it's not gone tits up, or resigned to ground sharing.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Ha, how on earth did you remember that song?!?!
    but what a tuuune

https://youtu.be/V59V-GrfokA
  • Options
    How many times does Airman Brown have to explain the access problems for housing development?
  • Options
    That was Sabrina Johnson.

Rozalla sang Everybody’s Free.
  • Options
    Of course you could if there was no Charlton or we were playing elsewhere permanently.  It would be a huge site and with less rights of light issues than others given it is a Valley.  There would be speculators and developers queuing up.

If I was desperate to build in the Charlton area I'd look at the retail parks on the other side of the Woolwich Road rather than The Valley. Plenty of struggling businesses over there and people will pay a premium to be that much closer to the river. Best of all there'd be far fewer legal and political hoops to jump through and certainly no emotionally attached mob looking to make your life hell at every turn.
    ^ pretty sure the main one is already owned by people who plan on doing exactly that. 
  • Options
    Agreed. In my area of London, two supermarkets are being rebuilt, with flats being built on most of the carpark, and two DIY stores are likely to be bulldozed for flats also. 

Charlton has a ridiculous number of soulless retail parks, I doubt all of them will be needed going forward.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    They’d get in the way of the football. 
    imagine the meltdown on here when a JCV driver didn't drop the earth in the precise way they wanted - or the bricky scratched his arse in the wrong way 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    How many times does Airman Brown have to explain the access problems for housing development?
    It's been a locally discussed thing for years, I remember my dad and uncles talking about it over the years, and the convos alway come back to access.

How many 32T fixed bed muck away lorries would it need to visit the site throughout construction? Add to that 40T article. Not saying it can't be done at all, but on the scale needed to complete the project, you wouldn't have any pavements left

• Options
    I’m all in, save the travel time to home games.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    They’d get in the way of the football. 
    What football?
  • Options
    That's pretty much the long-term plan for the entire area north of Woolwich Road - a couple of sites look like they might even start happening this year including a big one on the river by the Barrier.

The land behind the retail park, the old Stones Foundries site, is in the hands of a developer (Montreaux, the company building on the old Lamorbey Baths in Sidcup) although nothing much has happened since the factory closed.

The fly in the ointment at the moment is that warehouse space in inner London is currently at a premium so this may make some landowners even more money than selling housing that nobody can afford. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are plenty of easier sites to build homes in the area.

Even trickier ones are being considered with plans to demolish the nearby B&Q store and replace it with flats and decking over the car park for more.
  • Options
    The sooner we move into our 5,000 all seater next to the 02 ahead of our league 2 campaign the better!
  • Options
    Opened this thread for the first time today.  Houses on the Valley sounds like something bbc 1 would show as alternative to Doctors during midweek around the late 90s, just after neighbours 

Some pointless soap about the irrelevant lives of villagers in some Welsh village just outside Swansea.  
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    The sooner we move into our 5,000 all seater next to the 02 ahead of our league 2 campaign the better!
    If you look at the development work around the O2 you would be hard pressed to find space for a 5 seater stadium. That ship sailed a long time ago.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    If you look at the development work around the O2 you would be hard pressed to find space for a 5 seater stadium. That ship sailed a long time ago.
    Bill Gates will buy and demolish the O2 for our new stadium.
  • Options
    And Elvis before her
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Not necessarily a wild idea, there were terraces on the site once upon a time. There was even talk of semis once or twice but those were not really a charlton thing. 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    I may buy the Valley and build a cat café on it. 
    Here's one to start you off.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Not necessarily a wild idea, there were terraces on the site once upon a time. There was even talk of semis once or twice but those were not really a charlton thing. 
    The atmosphere against Fleetwood was flat, and our defence semi-detached