Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Referee! Why do we only get homers away and never at home?

I was chatting to some mates at half time on Saturday and we all agreed that Blackett-Taylor's yellow was never a yellow. Wednesday had got it by moaning at the ref until he gave in. Later, we (the crowd) had got their no 20 a yellow for shoving AMB to the ground. Wednesday used every trick in the book to see the game out and the ref let them do most (though I was pleased to see he booked their goalie for timewasting, though he was never going to send him off was he?) I'm not suggesting that better refereeing would have changed the result, but there are times this season when it would have. 

On Sunday, I went to see our women's team get turned over by Birmingham in a very close game with few chances. It was noticeable that Brum were a typical "blue" team - in the ref's ear all the time. She was fairly weak - in such a small ground you can hear what's going on. She'd regularly call one of their players over to talk to, and be ignored and take no further action. 

This got me thinking, as it is obviously a cultural thing at Charlton that we're not the sort of team that surrounds the ref and demands cards. I come away from most games thinking the ref is poor or biased, they can't all be can they? Is it just that they expect teams to be in their face and as we're not, the opposition are pushing at an open door?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I don’t think the ref was particularly biased on Saturday, he seemed equally shit for both sides. Would like to see the Leaburn chance again where the keeper parried it out as I thought the defender went through the back of him as he shot, anywhere else on the pitch he’d have given a FK. 
  • Options
    The tackle on Raki was a straight red .. .how the ref don’t see that ?? But then how does the ref not see the Bolton player go down untouched by Ness for their first goal , or the ref that does not see Bolton player punch the ball into the goal to make it 1-1 up there or the ref who fails to see the ball clearly over the line at Lincoln ….. or how can the ref send Inniss of when he was in the other half of the pitch …. 

This is not just one instance this is happening to us over and over again and there all at key moments in game that change the course of the game .. 
  • Options
    The main problem is these idiots have never played the game .. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:

If society wants the standard of referees to improve then Association Football would do well to try to copy the attitude towards officials they have in Rugby Union.
    Exactly. Start dishing out the yellows when the arguing starts.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    seth plum said:
    If society wants the standard of referees to improve then Association Football would do well to try to copy the attitude towards officials they have in Rugby Union.
     Completely agree with this. Stricter refs across the board.

Swearing - Booked. 
    Continuous arguing - Booked. 
    Pressuring the referee into decisions - Booked
    Diving - Straight Red

The captains & Manager should be the only individuals allowed to challenge the referees decision.
    If anyone else complains or challenges - Booked. 
  • Options
    The last decent ref i saw watching Charlton was the female one i think was against Burton.
  • Options
    The last decent ref i saw watching Charlton was the female one i think was against Burton.
    She was excellent. Sorry my memory fails on name recall
  • Options
    Rebecca Welch
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I thought there were inconsistencies from the Ref at SW even within a few minutes  with us hauled back for throw-ins (1st half West stand side) and Bolton allowed past the halfway line ( 1st half AC stand side)- thats minor but inconsistent.
    Major delay on giving a yellow which gave the appearance of. being influenced (penalty area incident 1st half). 2-3 "sharp" tackles by Byers 1st half, any one  possibly alone meriting a card.
    Second half- seemed totally calmer and less to comment on.
    Totally agree its a difficult job- even with kids!! Thats all I've done. I wouldn't even want to try adults.
  • Options
    A survey a couple of years back showed that nearly 90% of fans from both sides come away from any match believing that the ref was biased against their team. Obviously this doesn't apply to Charlton fans, who know that the ref is biased.
  • Options
    When I did the tour with my old man a few years ago, the ref's changing room was a right state and looked like it had been that way for years.  Cramped, random furniture stored in there.  He said, no wonder refs don't like us!  I think we need to give them a bit more TLC!

The only homers we've had that I can remember (and my memory is getting worse, tbd) is Mr Singh (two pens against the Massives) and the woman ref a little while back.  Even she wasn't a homer, just reasonable!

The guy on Saturday did eventually start carding them and it was no coincidence we played better after that, with our players able to break without getting their legs chopped off.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    When referees start out at a low level the abuse drives many away.
    I believe it has got worse (hence the initiative that some grass roots referees have bodycams) and therefore there is a narrower base that stops the tip of the pyramid getting higher.
    One of the most common abuses is to yell at the referee they should be doing something else on a Saturday/Sunday.
    Those who play and watch at grassroots level expect perfection from refs when they themselves pathetically scuff a penalty wide or allow a gentle pass to roll under their feet. All players have opinions, few players have actually read the laws of football, let alone spectators.
    I couldn't agree more. I don't like Rugby Union at all, but they have got the relationship between players and referees right. I always liked the rule that if you argue, the kick moves forward 10 yards. I don't follow rugby and have no idea if the rule still applies, but it changed the mentality of players/teams that like to put pressure on referees.
  • Options
    Basically, if you leave the ground thinking the ref had a good game, the opposition will be thinking they were terrible. We are generally the ones who are biased and refs are just  very poor at this level more than anything else. 

Saturday certainly did give the feeling of a ref who was allowing things to slide for one side more the other, but I reckon that was genuine incompetence rather than anything more sinister. The only one this season that has stuck out as potential bias was the Ipswich game - he genuinely could not have done a worse job in their favour while consistently ignoring the same things for us. 
  • Options
    I don't imagine there is a team in the country who's support doesn't think the refs have it in for them. 
  • Options
    I'm not sure I've come away from games feeling that the referee is biased. There is a big difference between 'biased' and 'making a mistake'. Bias is wilful, making a mistake is human. In every football game, there will be decisions that are 50-50 or thereabouts, but I think they even out generally. Of course, when there are two penalty decisions that go against us in the same game, they are going to become impregnated in the brain, but this is rare. I must admit I don't like teams that are continually pressurising the referee. Referees are only human and will not be immune from pressure just like everyone else. If all dialogue was through the captain, it would be a lot better.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
     Completely agree with this. Stricter refs across the board.

Swearing - Booked. 
    Continuous arguing - Booked. 
    Pressuring the referee into decisions - Booked
    Diving - Straight Red

The captains & Manager should be the only individuals allowed to challenge the referees decision.
    If anyone else complains or challenges - Booked. 
    Agree with this.
    I'm surprised the EFL, as their ultimate employer, don't take more action to support their refs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I think Wednesday were a bit too professional for the ref. Arsenal used to do this with Petit and Vierra but basically they are either going to tackle you or foul you. A really good ref would start booking players to stop it but the problem is the fouls on their own are not really bookings. I am not moaning at Wednesday at all, it is perfectly reasonable to play like that if the ref allows you to and I reckon most refs would so I wouldn't be too critical of Saturday's one. They will have problems if they come up against a ref who spots it and deals with it though.

I think the law is around persistant fouling and as an aside, the only two times I was sent off was for this reason!

• Options
    Another homer ref , the whole world is against us 

Yep gonna bump this thread regularly just in case. Can see why Posh were aggrieved and was surprised Rak sakyi didn't see red
  • Options
    I don't think he was biased in our favour though, he was just poor all over really.
  • Options
    How can last nights ref be called a homer, he sent off a home player and only booked JRS when clearly JRS should have seen red as well.

He did us a favor but our wanky players could not take advantage of it
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    I don't think he was biased in our favour though, he was just poor all over really.
    Apart from erroneously giving us a 1 man advantage for most of the 2nd half. 
  • Options
    Stockley - Port Vale away - 3 game ban
    Inniss - Forearm Smash away at Oxford - Not seen at the time and nothing after the event 
    Rak Sakyi - Retaliation with a swinging left away at Peterborough and yellow card given 

2/3 got away with away from home. Swings and Roundabouts through a season and we got one back with the Inniss decision from the Fleetwood home game as well.