Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

uk to ireland car advice

have googled etc but wanted to request the assistance of the cl pool of knowledge 

long story short mrs bought her vw beetle over from Ireland in feb 22, its a left hand drive as was a German import years ago. 

its sat on our drive since as i think deep down her confidence isn't there to drive in England and especially around london/bexleyheath. 

want to take it back to ireland aim is to drive up on a friday night to holyhead and get the early hours ferry crossing and then park it back on her dads farm in ireland. 

usually it would be better to scrap it but her dad bought her it for her 21st bday and he is unfortunately terminally ill. 

the question is it is no longer taxed or mot. 

what do i need to do to be able to drive it to holyhead and across to ireland? 

thanks in advance PH

Comments

• If it’s insured, you can drive to an MOT test as long as it’s pre booked and you don’t go via Glasgow to get there 
  • Is it on German Plates?
  • on irish plates, when she bought it over it has a 6 month grace period. 

my issue is i literally want to go from bexleyheath to holyhead in 1 joruney and then it will be in ireland. 
  • Yep, need a bit more info.
    Wheres it registered?
    If it’s still on Irish plates you can always book an NCT (Irish mot, but be warned it may be months off as still playing catch up after Covid) and say your driving over for that but you’ll still need insurance.
    Insurance on a VW Beetle is mad here. Two sets of neighbours have one sitting on their drives going nowhere as the cost of the insurance just can’t be justified.
  • To be able to drive it legally it will need to be taxed, MOTd and insured. I'm not sure on the logistics and it would be a pain in the rear of course - but I would hire a trailer/low-loader to take it over.
    Wheres it registered?
    If it’s still on Irish plates you can always book an NCT (Irish mot, but be warned it may be months off as still playing catch up after Covid) and say your driving over for that but you’ll still need insurance.
    Insurance on a VW Beetle is mad here. Two sets of neighbours have one sitting on their drives going nowhere as the cost of the insurance just can’t be justified.
    registered in ireland. 

still on irish plates its more getting it back into ireland and back to westmeath from dublin port 
  • edited February 2023
    You have a number of issues.

First, you can only use a car with foreign plates for a maximum of six months in the UK and it must be taxed in its home country. So now it's probably already illegal and likely to get a tug if you take it out on the roads.

Second, and in my opinion this is just bizarre, you cannot drive a car with foreign plates in the UK if you are a UK citizen or resident. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1138911/inf106-how-to-import-a-vehicle-into-the-united-kingdom-uk.pdf  (But I think this is more to do with HMRC rules that road traffic legislation. As in you have to pay import duty and VAT.)

So, as far as I can tell, the only way to get it to the Republic, legally, is on a trailer.
    Wheres it registered?
    registered in ireland. 

still on irish plates its more getting it back into ireland and back to westmeath from dublin port 
    Then if you want to drive it, you’ll need insurance.
    You’ll have to give the ferry company your reg & they’ll know straight away it won’t have it & you may not get a ticket. The very least you’ll be stopped by the guards. 
    Get onto a few insurers here & see what they quote. It’s not like the UK though. No comparison websites & very expensive.
    If she really is sentimental about it, it’s going to cost you to get it home.
    Sorry.
  • what about if i register it in uk and insure it here then drive it over to ireland? 
  • edited February 2023
    what about if i register it in uk and insure it here then drive it over to ireland? 
    How old is it?
    It may not be approved for registration if it’s over 10yrs old.
    There’s also a £100 conversion fee as it’s a left hooker.
    And if you do manage to get it registered, you’ll still need a tax, mot & insurance to drive it over.
    I’m starting to agree that a trailer/low loader is your best option.
  • Sponsored links:

• thanks all 
  • what about if i register it in uk and insure it here then drive it over to ireland? 
    See section 4 of the link I posted up.