Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Help re Apple products

I lost my grandson recently. He had iPhone, iPad and a MacBook.
Due to cause of death police took phone but not interested in pad or book.
As no suicide note found (nothing on phone),my daughter is interested in seeing what is on those.
Apple Australia say they can unlock the MacBook on presentation of death cert,but, unable to unlock iPad due to encription but can wipe it.
Would appreciate anyone with any knowledge.
Note we did arrange for silicone mould a finger prints to be made.

Comments

• Options
    How unfortunate for you mate.
    No idea with regards to an answer to your question, but you have my deepest sympathies 
    Good luck mate
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I cannot imagine the pain and heartache of losing a child or grandchild, so my sympathies to you and your family. 

There are a number of high profile legal cases in the US covering this topic summarised here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI–Apple_encryption_dispute 
    To date, apple has refused to write or provide a way to unlock a phone or iPad, even to assist in gathering evidence for high profile crime investigation by the FBI. 
    In one case, the FBI were able to use a 3rd party (based in Australia, details here: https://thenextweb.com/news/we-finally-know-how-the-fbi-unlocked-the-san-bernardino-shooters-iphone) but it cost them 900k in fees to chain together multiple exploits to get in. 

The end result is, I am afraid it is very unlikely you will get into your grandsons devices unless you know the passcode to do so.  Just be wary that apple software does wipe the deceive after x amount of attempts to unlock with incorrect passcode.  

I am sorry this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but apple are correct that they cannot unlock iPad or iPhone devices. 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Timaddick. I work in law enforcement in the UK and there is definitely software to break apple devices, however it will be incredibly expensive and probably not available to the general public. I would imagine there are some incredibly skilled hackers out there that can so might be worth a google search 
  • Options
    Hi Tim, so sorry to hear about your loss, being a grandparent myself I can’t imagine how difficult it must be.
    It might be worth taking the items to a local corner shop that repairs mobile phones, you will be amazed what they can do. 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your circumstances. I can't offer any practical suggestions, but I'm sure you'll receive some useful advice from your friends in the CL community who invariably demonstrate an extraordinary breadth of knowledge, experience and advice. I wish you and your family all the best. 
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss - sounds horrific.  Hopefully if you get the MacBook unlocked you might find some clues.  Also, an outside chance, if you get the phone back from the police and it is unlocked then you might be able to find a passcode for the iPad on the iPhone (Settings/Passwords)?  
  • Options
    @TimAddick I can’t help with the Apple stuff, but my heartfelt sympathy for you and all your family.

• Options
    So sorry to hear of your loss Tim.

Quite few years ago I forgot the password to an iPad. I managed to download a free app which gave me the passcode.

I assume things have got a lot more stringent since then and haven’t a clue of the app is still available. I will try to find out what it was called.
  • Options
    commiserations on the loss of your grandson my friend .. good luck in finding a solution to the i puzzle, I can't help there at all 
  • Options
    I think the software that I used may have been called AnyTrans which I installed on my Mac and connected the iPad.

It maybe worth looking at other software such as Wondershare and tenorshare to see if they offer options without wiping the device.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Actually, I think it was called decipher tools, but unfortunately as my memory returns, it may only be the restrictions password.

It may be worth however emailing some of these companies as you may be able to access what you need.

Good Luck
  • Options
    TimAddick said:
    I lost my grandson recently. He had iPhone, iPad and a MacBook.
    Due to cause of death police took phone but not interested in pad or book.
    As no suicide note found (nothing on phone),my daughter is interested in seeing what is on those.
    Apple Australia say they can unlock the MacBook on presentation of death cert,but, unable to unlock iPad due to encription but can wipe it.
    Would appreciate anyone with any knowledge.
    Note we did arrange for silicone mould a finger prints to be made.
    Firstly sorry for your loss.

Although Apple wouldn't give you access to the devices in their current state, with the death cert they should allow you access to the account. With that, wiping the phone could potentially be an option and then restore from any iCloud backups there may be.

I'd personally be very wary of forking out money to companies claiming they can hack the devices.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Be very careful installing or using any 3rd party software claiming to get the data for you. There is a very real possibility that you’ll try something and it’ll just wipe the device and all the data (messages, photos etc) is lost forever, whether you can get in afterwards or not.

Apple are extremely stringent on this stuff and it’s going to be incredibly difficult to bypass unfortunately.

Sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208510

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account

This article explains how to request access to or delete someone’s Apple ID and the data stored with it after they have passed away.

• Options
    He knew our history
  • Options
    TimAddick said:
    I would like to thank you all for your kind comments and condolences. I am hoping that when we get my grandson MacBook opened we may find something. His mother is suffering because she was the one who found after he hanged himself. My grief i minor compared to hers.
    My grandson had a name, Patryk,not a spelling mistake. His parents split when he was 5. I. Had 3 daughters, no sons and really he was like the son I never had. He was a very fast sprinter, aged 16, 6ft 2 in tall. Was a scout and loved basketball which played competitively. He used to call me his taxi driver. He would always give me a hug when I saw him, which was often as he lived less than a mile away. We now have to move on somehow,but we intend to highlight what happened to Patryk due to lack of help from the authorities. He was released after 5 days and my daughter was told of his strong suicidal tendencies.
    Although Patrick was not a football fan he had over the years asked me about Charlton and how knew our history. He often ask me on a Sunday how we had gone, to which my reply was usually "crap" or "we won".once again thank you lots.
    Hi Tim,
    Thanks for the update and a little insight to your families tragic loss.

I too have a strapping 6’ 2” 17 year old grandson and know what joy they can bring so my thoughts are with you.

I am sure you have support from family and friends however if you ever feel you want to talk to someone similar to yourself ie male, grandad, Charlton fan etc drop me a message on here and I would be more than happy to have a chat.

Above all else look after yourself