Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aaron Henry

2»

Comments

• Options
    In fairness, he said he needs to start making an impact, not establish himself. 

For me he's got more years especially if we're at this level. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Just said it on the other thread, but us releasing Jordan Zemura at 20 is proof how it can prove costly.

If Henry is refusing a Contract, I feel he's confident enough he's got better suitors than us
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Still only 19 let's not forget 
    20 this year, he’s at the age he needs to start making an impact on the first team. I don’t think we’ve had many not do that until 21/22.
    How old were and how many games had Parker and KAG played before they established themselves?  

Gomez, Bowyer, Shelvey are more the exceptions than the rule.  Not many teenagers, at any level, become first team regulars.  On merit.
    That backs up what I’m saying. I didn’t say he needed to become a first team regular this season. I’m not writing him off, I said earlier I haven’t seen enough of him.

He’s 20 in August and those two started breaking through at the same age. 

KAG was 20 he was regularly making appearances off the bench for us (18 in the league plus 4 starts) and in the second half of the season he went on loan to Crawley.

Parker made 15 league starts in 2000/01 when he was 20 and another 5 league apps off the bench.

Wasn’t intending it to look like a dig, just a comparison to others who have broken through. We won’t hold on to youngsters indefinitely just in case they’re good enough at 22/23. Solly, Cousins, Wagstaff and Aribo all started featuring more often around the same age.

He might need longer to develop, maybe a season out on loan, but it sounds like he may want to move on to get regular football. Will be interesting to see what happens with him and how he progresses.
  • Options
    Has always looked good at his age group but has looked woefully out of his depth the few times I've seen him get a first team cameo this season. Will be interesting to see what level he can end up playing, my gut is league 1 or 2.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Has always looked good at his age group but has looked woefully out of his depth the few times I've seen him get a first team cameo this season. Will be interesting to see what level he can end up playing, my gut is league 1 or 2.
    I think his ceiling is higher than Morgan's, but he needs to work for it. Both are L1 level players at worst imo. I could see Henry developing into a Championship player if he works for it. Nicky Bailey esque. 
  • Options
    A move to Colchester for a season might suit!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    There's a reason Kanu and Henry haven't been fast-tracked to the 1st team, but Ness and Leaburn have.

Physique and being able to hold your own.

• Options
    Just said it on the other thread, but us releasing Jordan Zemura at 20 is proof how it can prove costly.

If Henry is refusing a Contract, I feel he's confident enough he's got better suitors than us
    If a takeover goes through I could see him signing. Who would want to stay here with a new manager every 6-8 months?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Still only 19 let's not forget 
    20 this year, he’s at the age he needs to start making an impact on the first team. I don’t think we’ve had many not do that until 21/22.
    How old were and how many games had Parker and KAG played before they established themselves?  

Gomez, Bowyer, Shelvey are more the exceptions than the rule.  Not many teenagers, at any level, become first team regulars.  On merit.
    gomez and shelvey especially had men's bodies at 16/17. Parker was protected in a similar fashion to henry until he went on loan to norwich and came back a different player
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    I think his ceiling is higher than Morgan's, but he needs to work for it. Both are L1 level players at worst imo. I could see Henry developing into a Championship player if he works for it. Nicky Bailey esque. 
    I think he’s got the same problem that Morgan has always had. His range of passing means he wants to be getting on the ball from deep, but then he’s not defensively good enough to play that role when we don’t have the ball. Would still  rather we keep him and then loan him out which is what we should have done with Morgan years ago
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I heard he won't sign a contract, so likely to move on at the end of the season.
    If this is the case once safe I don't want to see him near the team/squad and to give players committed to being here and around next year a chance!
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    I think he’s got the same problem that Morgan has always had. His range of passing means he wants to be getting on the ball from deep, but then he’s not defensively good enough to play that role when we don’t have the ball. Would still  rather we keep him and then loan him out which is what we should have done with Morgan years ago
    I thought we tried with Morgan but the interest wasn’t there? He had a short spell with Ebbsfleet but we probably wanted him to at least play in L2.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    I thought we tried with Morgan but the interest wasn’t there? He had a short spell with Ebbsfleet but we probably wanted him to at least play in L2.
    According to Bowyer. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    I think we should have loaned him out more recently where he would definitely have got league 2 interest. He’s been stuck as our 4th/5th option for years and hasn’t got much better because of it. Needs to develop and learn the game by playing week in week out, same will happen to Henry which is probably why he wants to leave. If he signs he will most likely be kept around because we are unlikely to have a budget that means we have enough midfielders to let him go and play. Leaving is probably the best move for Henry I think 
  • Options
    I find it hilarious that we finally have a good performance and win 4-1 away and someone still posts a dig at a young player who hasn't had much playing time or a chance to break into the team. 

Standard stuff...
    Not a dig, just disappointing and surely shows a poor attitude. Team wins 4-1 and he can’t even be bothered to clap fans for more than a minute. 
  • Options

Charlton Athletic are delighted to announce that academy graduate Aaron Henry has signed a new contract with the club.

The 19-year-old midfielder has penned a two-year deal with an option for the third year.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/aaron-henry-commits-his-future-club

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    I think we should have loaned him out more recently where he would definitely have got league 2 interest. He’s been stuck as our 4th/5th option for years and hasn’t got much better because of it. Needs to develop and learn the game by playing week in week out, same will happen to Henry which is probably why he wants to leave. If he signs he will most likely be kept around because we are unlikely to have a budget that means we have enough midfielders to let him go and play. Leaving is probably the best move for Henry I think 
    This is the problem of relying on 18/19 year old to fill the squad when they aren't ready.

They end up not playing for anyone, including our own u21s.
  • Options
    Hoping he isn’t considered to be a part of the ‘23 man squad’ because he didn’t look anywhere near ready for League 1 football on that showing against Morecambe. A loan move back to non-league and the option to recall would be my personal choice.
  • Options
    Hoping he isn’t considered to be a part of the ‘23 man squad’ because he didn’t look anywhere near ready for League 1 football on that showing against Morecambe. A loan move back to non-league and the option to recall would be my personal choice.
    He's only 19 so wont count towards the Squad limit
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's only 19 so wont count towards the Squad limit
    Even including the underage players we didn't have a 23 man squad last season.
  • Options
    Glad he’s signed up, hope we can get him a decent loan deal.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    This is the problem of relying on 18/19 year old to fill the squad when they aren't ready.

They end up not playing for anyone, including our own u21s.
    Agreed, he needs to be playing football, not on our bench with the odd u23 game