Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oldest companies...

2»

Comments

• Options
    The bank I work for was formed in 1692 - it’s the 8th oldest bank in the world - I’ve worked there over 36 years, straight from school aged 16 
    I think Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena are generally accepted as the oldest surviving Bank in the world. I did my Work Experience in their London branch in 2011
  • Options
    Nokia were founded in 1865, I know a lot of much older companies have been listed but just imagine how big their mobiles were back then? 

A brick wall?
  • Options
    Nokia were founded in 1865, I know a lot of much older companies have been listed but just imagine how big their mobiles were back then? 

As big as tree trunks, they were a logging company in those days!

• Options
    Vincent Kompany is 36. 
    His dad is older.
  • Options
    Other than my first company (1962) and last (1998), all of my ex-employers have some decent history -  1832, 1835, 1851, and the oldest (HMSO) at 1786.
  • Options
    A lot of the big service companies were started by sole traders and just have grown and kept the name. Most banks and legal firms are like this.

As mentioned above, Crown businesses, which were originally part of the government but are now private business like Ordnance Service.
  • Options
    Many decades ago I worked for Pearce Signs who were founded in 1791 - but they've gone tits up since (nothing to do with me I hasten to add).
  • Options
    Vincent Kompany is 36. 
    His dad is older.
    However, he’s a bit limited.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    bobmunro said:
    Many decades ago I worked for Pearce Signs who were founded in 1791 - but they've gone tits up since (nothing to do with me I hasten to add).
    I remember the big sign at New Cross gate, the little matchstick man running up and down a ladder? 
    A million years ago, when you could get a Red Rover bus ticket from Charlton village, jump on a 53 to Regent’s Park zoo and spend the day up there. 
    So do I but have no idea why I would have been in New Cross Gate.
    Presumably on the 53 going to Trafalgar Square or The Zoo.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    @bobmunro I used to do loads of work for Pearce signs and also Blaze Neon and if my memory serves me correctly, Blaze was set up by ex employees of Pearce signs.
  • Options
    Brighton racecourse - 1783 is certainly the oldest company I have worked for..
  • Options
    There is a Wikipedia page for oldest businesses and majority of UK ones are pubs! 
  • Options
    The province of Canada I live in (Alberta) was confederated into Canada in the same year as Charlton were founded, so not many really old companies here. However, I do occasionally shop at The Bay which is the retail arm of the modern iteration of The Hudson's Bay Company and dates back to 1670, making it North America's longest continually operating company.
    What I remember from holidays in Canada was that a lot of Canadians call the Hudsons Bay Company Here Before Christ? 
  • Options
    The Festiniog Railway company dates back to 1832 and is now the world's oldest railway company still operating. 
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    There is a Wikipedia page for oldest businesses and majority of UK ones are pubs! 

There's a lot of Japanese companies on that list.
  • Options
    The Festiniog Railway company dates back to 1832 and is now the world's oldest railway company still operating. 
    The volunteers who run Middleton Railway in Leeds might have something to say about that.  It was founded in 1758. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    The volunteers who run Middleton Railway in Leeds might have something to say about that.  It was founded in 1758. 
    But is that still under the original company? I doubt it, as it was absorbed by the NCB at one time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    But is that still under the original company? I doubt it, as it was absorbed by the NCB at one time. 
    I am not sure.  But, the Festiniog closed after the war for several years.  I don't think that has been in the same "ownership" since it started. 
  • Options

I am not sure.  But, the Festiniog closed after the war for several years.  I don't think that has been in the same "ownership" since it started. 
    As you say, the FR closed but the company continued; it had leased a section to the quarries and also several properties it owned and the same general manager was employed. The preservationists had to buy a controlling number of shares to acquire the company so that restoration could start. 
  • Options

As you say, the FR closed but the company continued; it had leased a section to the quarries and also several properties it owned and the same general manager was employed. The preservationists had to buy a controlling number of shares to acquire the company so that restoration could start. 
    Something tells me you're a Charlton fan 

;) 
  • Options
    Something tells me you're a Charlton fan 

;) 
    For nearly 60 years. Made me the man I am today...
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Wilma said:

There's a lot of Japanese companies on that list.
    About 8 of the top ten or so I believe