Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Pizza Cup?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I think the damage is done to be honest. But if its reinvented, sack off u21 teams (horrible elitist idea), ditch the group stage and just have a straight up knock out cup comp for leagues 1 and 2. All games over 1 leg. That way start to finish is only a maximum of 5/6 games and every team has a decent shot. 
  • Options
    Just scrap the whole thing. 
    No, just de-regionalise the group stages 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    A midweek trek to Barrow to watch an U21s match? Brave.
  • Options
    The problem with the competition, and indeed the other cups, is that in L1 and L2 you're playing most these games in autumn when you have no idea how your season would progress in the league, leading to weakened teams and no interest from the fans.

If our games were played now, then we would put out a strong team as we're going nowhere in the league and a Wembley final would be an attractive consolation. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    se9addick said:
    I still I still refer to it as the JPT! 
    Will always be the LDV Vans

To me it will always be the Sherpa Van Trophy.
    I still refer to it as The Quarter Members Cup 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    We took 235 for a midweek Quarter Final at Hartlepool just over a year ago and 101 to Plymouth in November.

Why would de-regionalising the group stages be of any benefit? Just needs the Premier League U21 teams to be removed from the competition and it's fine as it is if there's no restrictions on us playing a team of kids.
  • Options
    Just get rid of it, its a pointless competition.
  • Options
    cblock said:
    I disagree. Remove the U21 teams and revert it to be what it was before, a chance to win some silverware and have a day out at Wembley.

Looking at the previous winners of the trophy, plenty of clubs there which are in a higher division than us now, including PL teams such as Bournemouth, Southampton and Wolves, and several current Championship sides. I'm sure their fans enjoyed winning the trophy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just get a team together to get out of this division and then be competitive in the championship and it is removed from the equation.
    Simple (we can but dream).
  • Options
    cblock said:
    I disagree. Remove the U21 teams and revert it to be what it was before, a chance to win some silverware and have a day out at Wembley.

Looking at the previous winners of the trophy, plenty of clubs there which are in a higher division than us now, including PL teams such as Bournemouth, Southampton and Wolves, and several current Championship sides. I'm sure their fans enjoyed winning the trophy.
    I wouldn't. I think winning it is an embarrassing reminder that we are only quarter members.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    se9addick said:
    I still I still refer to it as the JPT! 
    Will always be the LDV Vans

To me it will always be the Sherpa Van Trophy.
    Freight Rover Trophy
  • Options
    Let the Premier League sponsor it... they're so desperate for it to include their U21 sides
    If the sponsorship is only £1 Million surely the Premier league could sponsor it.  With the winner gaining automatic entry to the Premier…. Just to incentivise the entries.
  • Options
    Simple fix… ditch the PL reserve sides and have a 48 team competition.

Top 16 of L1 from previous season get a first round bye, and play straight knock out football. Five/six rounds of knockout football with a nice day out at Wembley for a couple of clubs. Simple.
  • Options
    Just get a team together to get out of this division and then be competitive in the championship and it is removed from the equation.
    Simple (we can but dream).
    Or, even better, we enter our u21s.
  • Options
    Bolton stuff (crust) Plymouth 4-0 in the final.
    I wonder how it effects Plymouth's season.
  • Options
    Bolton stuff (crust) Plymouth 4-0 in the final.
    I wonder how it effects Plymouth's season.
    Looking at the games they have left i'd say they have to still be favourites to win the league.

They have a game in hand on Sheff Weds (whose form has nose dived) and in their remaining 8 games they don't have to play any of the sides in the top 9.