Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fairwell Fortune?

ScoSco
edited August 2007 in General Charlton
http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=31059

Fortune, the club's longest serving player, spent time on loan with the Potters last term and would be more-or-less guaranteed regular first-team football should he choose to return to the West Midlands on a permanent basis.

"I'll be honest, we have accepted a bid from Stoke purely for Jon's sake rather than my own," Pardew revealed on Thursday.

"I think there is the opportunity for him to play definitely in the first team there, but maybe he is going to stay and continue his career here and hope to get in our first team.

"That's the question for Jon and I thought it would be fair to give him that question and see what he wants to do."

A product of the club's academy system, Fortune made his debut from the bench against Everton in the opening fixture of the 2001/02 Premiership campaign.

Since then he has made almost 150 appearances for the club, although a regular place in the starting line-up has eluded him in recent campaigns.

Fortune first headed to the Britannia Stadium on the final day of the January 2007 transfer window and was recalled for the Addicks' 2-2 draw at Watford due to an injury and suspension crisis at the back.

But he returned to Stoke soon after where he saw out the season scoring once in a total of 14 appearances for his adopted club.

Added Pardew: "I think he's been here long enough to know that it's now time for him to play in the first team - and that could well be here, but the decision will lie with Jon on that one."

Meanwhile, transfer negotiations are ongoing as the Valley boss looks to swoop for a pair of experienced pros to add to his new-look Addicks squad.

"I'm hoping to secure one in the next 48 hours and maybe the other one by the weekend but we'll have to see how it goes," Pardew said optimistically.

"I want to send a message to the squad - yes we're going well but we've got even more competition coming in - and I want them to feel it and to respond to it."

Comments

• Options
    If Diawara is being tracked by Bordeaux then it doesn't make sense to get rid of Fortune....I actually rated Fortune especially when I saw him mark Shearer out of a game I saw when I came home....
  • Options
    Anyone else agree that £400,000 seems a giveaway price for Fortune, particularly to a rival in the same division?

To put in perspective another rival in our division sold us a player (McCarthy) for £650,000 who does not appear to be "better than we already had" to quote St Curbs.

I don't like to moan about the club I love but the whole Fortune Diawara business is very concerning.

Why is there automatically a discount on Charlton players when we sell them or alternatively why do we pay over the odds?

Darren Bent would appear to be the exception but Young was definitely undersold. Rommedahl I accept because we wanted rid but Fortune is cut price and if Diawara starts throwing his gloves around so will he be.
  • Options
    Len, barring Bent, is there anyone we haven't undersold in the last 15 years ?

It started with Minto and Lee, and continues today.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Len, barring Bent, is there anyone we haven't undersold in the last 15 years ?

It started with Minto and Lee, and continues today.

Mills, Bowyer, Jensen, Kinsella, Parker.
  • Options
    I'll give you the deals for Mills and Bowyer granted, disagree with the other three though mate.
  • Options
    parker was a good deal he's moved on twice since then for less hasn't he??
  • Options
    at the time though he was worth more to us than the £10m, and compared to what Chelsea were paying at the time we could of / should of squeezed more out of them. Going over old ground here though.
  • Options
    must say i thought we undersold claus for what i recall being a measly 1.25mil.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: markwebb21[/cite]must say i thought we undersold claus for what i recall being a measly 1.25mil.[/quote]

If I recall correctly, Claus had only 1 year to go on his contract and would not sign another so could have walked for nothing 12 months later - £1.25m not ridiculous in that context and he has just been released by Fulham.
  • Options
    Because Jensen was in last year of contract he would have been a free agent at the end of the season.

He'd already told Curbs that he wouldn't sign another contract, so Curbs sold him for whatever money he could get at the time, rather than nothing later.

Same with Konchesky to West Scam.

Kinsella was let go for £900k because he was 30 with supposedly dodgy knees - that would finish his career early.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Snap, Peanuts! :-)