Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'Social Housing' .. and Rip Off Landlords

Comments

• Options
    I would say that quite often going from a lower paid occupation to a higher paid one is about survival.
    The interesting question for me is what is enough for the average working (or non working) person to survive on.
    The that leads on to how many multiples of survival income ought one individual have.
    For some survival is a house in town, one in the country, one abroad, each with a gardener and housekeeper, a car for every family member and enough wealth for that person and each of their family members to live on the interest of the interest.
    Is there a point of convergence where a person ending their time in the care system around the age of 19 or 20, with a local authority helping hand of £2000, is on a par with a similar person who can anticipate a large enough inheritance to be set for life?
  • Options
    But you are sure. Sure that what I have written is gibberish to you.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    First thing I would do is 500% council tax on properties empty for more than 6 months on homes that are either foreign owned or not primary residences (this would obviously need proper fleshing out). I think at the moment you actually get a reduction if that's the case?

I love @kentaddick despite the fact we have differing opinions on many things, and get where he's coming from as I think we are similar ages, but I do think some of the greed argument is mitigated by the fact they're starting from the concept of 85% market rent. 

At the very worst they're "the good guys of greed" 

Fascinating insight by the way @Rob7Lee, really enjoyed reading about what your friendly society does. 

Also, I think everyone who owns a house says they love the idea of mass house building for the kids, but when that stops their house prices going up as quickly, or heaven forbid a development near them, the appetite changes very quickly. There isn't some sort of wizardry stopping mass home building, it's largely a political decision, one that won't change in my opinion regardless of what political scarf you have tied so tight round your neck your eyes bulge out. 

seth plum said:
    I would say that quite often going from a lower paid occupation to a higher paid one is about survival.
    The interesting question for me is what is enough for the average working (or non working) person to survive on.
    The that leads on to how many multiples of survival income ought one individual have.
    For some survival is a house in town, one in the country, one abroad, each with a gardener and housekeeper, a car for every family member and enough wealth for that person and each of their family members to live on the interest of the interest.
    Is there a point of convergence where a person ending their time in the care system around the age of 19 or 20, with a local authority helping hand of £2000, is on a par with a similar person who can anticipate a large enough inheritance to be set for life?

You're trying too hard. 
  • Options
    One of the craziest threads i've seen. Rents are high because are willing to pay them, people can't get on the ladder because they spend too much time on Charlton Life, buying property is like investing in crypto. WTF? Bet there's other gems that i've missed. 
    I think the reason for that is a lot of people are posting from a different perspective where they don't really have to actually worry about where they live and are just trying to score political points or get a "gotcha" from people they don't agree with. It's a real issue to some of us.
    My perspective is coming from someone who has paid their mortgage off. I suspect some posters enjoy pulling legs off of spiders.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    First thing I would do is 500% council tax on properties empty for more than 6 months on homes that are either foreign owned or not primary residences (this would obviously need proper fleshing out). I think at the moment you actually get a reduction if that's the case?

I love @kentaddick despite the fact we have differing opinions on many things, and get where he's coming from as I think we are similar ages, but I do think some of the greed argument is mitigated by the fact they're starting from the concept of 85% market rent. 

Fascinating insight by the way @Rob7Lee, really enjoyed reading about what your friendly society does. 

Also, I think everyone who owns a house says they love the idea of mass house building for the kids, but when that stops their house prices going up as quickly, or heaven forbid a development near them, the appetite changes very quickly. There isn't some sort of wizardry stopping mass home building, it's largely a political decision, one that won't change in my opinion regardless of what political scarf you have tied so tight round your neck your eyes bulge out. 

seth plum said:

You're trying too hard. 
    There's something similar already in effect. 
    If your home has been empty for 2 years or more

You can be charged an extra amount of Council Tax (a ‘premium’) if your home has been empty for 2 years or more.

How much you pay will depend on how long the property has been empty. You can be charged up to 4 times your normal Council Tax bill if your home has been empty for 10 years or more.

You will not have to pay the empty home premium if either:

the empty property is an annex

you’re in the armed forces and you have to move into armed forces accommodation as part of your work
    People are for mass home building, as long as it's not where they live, re your Lewisham is a shithole comment.
  • Options
    I'm getting a vibe that kentaddick is a tenant, who doesn't earn enough money to buy his own property. 
    lots of people are in that position - that is not humorous - it's just unfortunately true.

The thing that sticks in my craw a little as someone in that position - I can just about afford to pay the monthly mortgage for the place I live in, as a renter - and in fact that is what I am doing - but apparently i'm not trusted enough to get a mortgage - but I can pay someone elses off and nobody sees the issue.

It's a bit sick tbh - the system seems kinda set up against me. 

edit for clarity - 9 years of renting thus far. Never missed a single rent payment. seen my rent rise by 25 -50 quid a month each year in that time, (until recently) for a one bed flat. After the latest rise i requested to hand in my notice and planned to go back to parents - my (decent) landlord called me (first time in nine years i've even had to speak to the guy) and asked me what he needed to do to keep me in the place.  

I really sympathies with you. My son has moved back home for basically the same reason. Him and his girlfriend were paying an eye watering amount to share with two other strangers who also paid for the privilege  to live in a shitty hovel to a landlord who couldn't be arsed to maintain the property. At least now the pair of them can live rent free and actually use their money to enjoy life rather than their landlord enjoying it. 
    I like others once rented, we had a flat and it was affordable. We could live and do all the things friends a families did, like live. Nowadays if you pay rent you are effectively on financial life support never putting down roots while some vampire bleeds you just enough  to be able to do it again next month. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:

seth plum said:

You're trying too hard. 
    No I am not. You are wrong.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Seriously.
    What's the matter with some people?
    I'm 49 with no pension.
    So if I decided in the next couple of years to buy a 2nd property as a pension, some would be happy to see it go tits up for me.

I personally don't see a problem with buying a second property outright and then letting it out at a fair price.

I do have an issue with taking out a mortgage and expecting tenants to pay for it.

So all rental properties need to be mortgage free - that's going to work, NOT! Who decides a fair price? They tried something in Scotland that just made it worse for tenants. A fair price is market price.

You do realise a lot of businesses you buy from take out loans and by doing business with them you are paying off their mortgage loan
    Right, I agree. But don’t become dewy eyed when the market turns on landlords who’ve overleveraged themselves and expect tenants to pick up the tab. Having your cake and eating it comes to mind - something for nothing.
    Who is going 'dewy-eyed' about anything?. If you mean by 'overleveraged themselves' is this exactly the same as many owner/occupiers due to amongst other things, the worldwide economy? Don't be surprised when rents go up - and tenants have no choice about it and some of the reasons rents have gone up because the government has passed more costs on to the landlords.
    And then the landlord passes it on to the tenant? What kind hearted people they are. If you can't afford to own a property and rent it out, sell it. It's quite simple - it's the market. 
    Many more would have to sell up than currently are, which would be even worse for tenants - I'm not surprised you aren't able to purchase your own place if you don't understand the fundamentals even if you must have predicted the end in the recent low interest period that so many others didn't! I know lots of people in their 20s buying a property
    I don't know why you simply don't understand the rules of supply and demand apply to both tenants and landlords. If scores of landlords sell their properties then supply outreaches demand, prices go down, tenants who want to buy that otherwise couldn't afford to buy can now afford to buy - the whole social contract begins to work again. There is obviously the problem of foreign "investors" and domestic investo- i mean landlords then hoovering up the cheaper properties - but that's where maybe a fat stamp duty on a second property could be useful to then make it unprofitable for greedy landlords and investors. This extra stamp duty could then be funelled into building social housing. I know people who've purchased their own property, but they're either doing extremely well in life or have moved to areas that bring their commute up over an hour or more. As many have said on this thread, the current system is unsustainable and delaying the inevitable (prices dropping) is just roping more and more people of my age into the hellscape of negative equity in the future. 

I'm getting a vibe that kentaddick is a tenant, who doesn't earn enough money to buy his own property. 
    lots of people are in that position - that is not humorous - it's just unfortunately true.

The thing that sticks in my craw a little as someone in that position - I can just about afford to pay the monthly mortgage for the place I live in, as a renter - and in fact that is what I am doing - but apparently i'm not trusted enough to get a mortgage - but I can pay someone elses off and nobody sees the issue.

edit for clarity - 9 years of renting thus far. Never missed a single rent payment. seen my rent rise by 25 -50 quid a month each year in that time, (until recently) for a one bed flat. After the latest rise i requested to hand in my notice and planned to go back to parents - my (decent) landlord called me (first time in nine years i've even had to speak to the guy) and asked me what he needed to do to keep me in the place.  

Yeah it was clearly meant as some kind of dig, but the majority of people of my generation (>50%) are now renters, it just comes across as hopelessly out of touch.

One of the craziest threads i've seen. Rents are high because are willing to pay them, people can't get on the ladder because they spend too much time on Charlton Life, buying property is like investing in crypto. WTF? Bet there's other gems that i've missed. 

It's a bit weird, I'm still yet to be told why some one would become a landlord other than accumulating wealth off the back of some one else (their tenant). 

• Options

There's a big difference between mortgage affordability and rental and the risks to the landlord/lender.

As a renter you have no maintenance obligations or other things such as insurance.
    Likely your landlord put down a large (25%+) deposit
    Your landlord isn't lending you money over a 25 year+ period
    Your landlord doesn't have to consider your ability to wear interest rate rises

All of that said, if you have a history of making rental payments there are banks out there that will take that into consideration, but due to some of what I've mentioned showing say a regular payment of £800 likely means a bank will consider around £600 monthly mortgage payment to cater for those other expenses etc.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    it doesn't make a great deal of sense. What is relevant though is the difference between relative an actual poverty.

Absolute Poverty is used to describe a condition where an individual does not have the financial means to obtain commodities to sustain life. Relative Poverty refers to the standard of living compared to economic standards of living within the same surroundings

A lot of commentators speak about those in relative poverty as if it were actual
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Rob7Lee said:

As a renter you have no maintenance obligations or other things such as insurance.

Again, that's part of being a landlord, deal with it - if you can't afford to maintain a property so it's safe for some one to live in it, you shouldn't be a landlord.

Rob7Lee said:

Not strictly true, everywhere i've rented I've had to take affordability checks.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Rob7Lee said:

Again, that's part of being a landlord, deal with it - if you can't afford to maintain a property so it's safe for some one to live in it, you shouldn't be a landlord.

Rob7Lee said:

Not strictly true, everywhere i've rented I've had to take affordability checks.
    Please read the posts, I was responding to Manic_mania about why there is a difference between the expense as a renter and as a owner and therefore why just because you can afford the rent doesn't mean you can afford the same monthly amount in mortgage payments.

Of course there is an affordability calculation for rental, (common is 35x the monthly rent in salary) but that's a very different calculation than for a mortgage, hence why I put 'Your landlord doesn't have to consider your ability to wear interest rate rises'

The lack of basic financial understanding in some of this thread is quite worrying.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Seriously.
    I'm 49 with no pension.
    So if I decided in the next couple of years to buy a 2nd property as a pension, some would be happy to see it go tits up for me.

I personally don't see a problem with buying a second property outright and then letting it out at a fair price.

I do have an issue with taking out a mortgage and expecting tenants to pay for it.
    This fair price, should it work both ways?
    Should Shine offer his Landlord the extra 25% a month?
    No, because they inherited it and its all bonus money to them. Mrs has been there 9 years and never missed a payment.. everything that needs replacing comes out of our pocket. They could get greedy and demand market price, but we'd just move and they would be stuck with a 15 grand  bill to modernise for new tenants. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Seriously.
    I'm 49 with no pension.

So all rental properties need to be mortgage free - that's going to work, NOT! Who decides a fair price? They tried something in Scotland that just made it worse for tenants. A fair price is market price.

You do realise a lot of businesses you buy from take out loans and by doing business with them you are paying off their mortgage loan
    Right, I agree. But don’t become dewy eyed when the market turns on landlords who’ve overleveraged themselves and expect tenants to pick up the tab. Having your cake and eating it comes to mind - something for nothing.
    Who is going 'dewy-eyed' about anything?. If you mean by 'overleveraged themselves' is this exactly the same as many owner/occupiers due to amongst other things, the worldwide economy? Don't be surprised when rents go up - and tenants have no choice about it and some of the reasons rents have gone up because the government has passed more costs on to the landlords.
    And then the landlord passes it on to the tenant? What kind hearted people they are. If you can't afford to own a property and rent it out, sell it. It's quite simple - it's the market. 
    Many more would have to sell up than currently are, which would be even worse for tenants - I'm not surprised you aren't able to purchase your own place if you don't understand the fundamentals even if you must have predicted the end in the recent low interest period that so many others didn't! I know lots of people in their 20s buying a property
    I don't know why you simply don't understand the rules of supply and demand apply to both tenants and landlords. If scores of landlords sell their properties then supply outreaches demand, prices go down, tenants who want to buy that otherwise couldn't afford to buy can now afford to buy - the whole social contract begins to work again. There is obviously the problem of foreign "investors" and domestic investo- i mean landlords then hoovering up the cheaper properties - but that's where maybe a fat stamp duty on a second property could be useful to then make it unprofitable for greedy landlords and investors. This extra stamp duty could then be funelled into building social housing. I know people who've purchased their own property, but they're either doing extremely well in life or have moved to areas that bring their commute up over an hour or more. As many have said on this thread, the current system is unsustainable and delaying the inevitable (prices dropping) is just roping more and more people of my age into the hellscape of negative equity in the future. 

Yeah it was clearly meant as some kind of dig, but the majority of people of my generation (>50%) are now renters, it just comes across as hopelessly out of touch.

It's a bit weird, I'm still yet to be told why some one would become a landlord other than accumulating wealth off the back of some one else (their tenant). 

Algarveaddick made some suggests above. People buying for their children so they don't have to deal with awful landlords (the type who see property as a mere investment) then transfer ownership to them. Clearly they're in the minority though and most are doing it for greed.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Seriously.
    I'm 49 with no pension.

I simply don't understand how you cannot understand the situation and think that landlords selling up means rents will go down. It's what is happening now and rents are definitely not coming down.  If there weren't landlords, there wouldn't be properties to rent. Most business 'accumulate wealth off the back of some one else'!
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Seriously.
    I'm 49 with no pension.

Surely all businesses, whether global corporations or sole traders are accumulating wealth off the back of their customers? That's business.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Seriously.
    I'm 49 with no pension.

I simply don't understand how you cannot understand the situation and think that landlords selling up means rents will go down. It's what is happening now and rents are definitely not coming down.  If there weren't landlords, there wouldn't be properties to rent. Most business 'accumulate wealth off the back of some one else'!
    The idea is not to have rents go down, but prices of properties to go down. Heaven forbid it'll be more affordable to buy your own property than live in some one else's. If there were no longer any private landlords, then i guess the state would have to look at providing social housing, again - heaven forbid..!

Most businesses don't trade on a fundamental human need that then soaks up >50% of their customers wages. Although thinking about it in these terms sums up the attitude of landlords, it's just a business to suck up some wealth.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Let's not forget it also could well be in the government's power to pass legislation that you can't evict a tenant when buying a property from a landlord (say hello to the new boss, same as the old boss), or that the tenant gets first dibs, almost like a private "right to buy". 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Seriously.
    I'm 49 with no pension.

The idea is not to have rents go down, but prices of properties to go down. Heaven forbid it'll be more affordable to buy your own property than live in some one else's. If there were no longer any private landlords, then i guess the state would have to look at providing social housing, again - heaven forbid..!

Most businesses don't trade on a fundamental human need that then soaks up >50% of their customers wages. Although thinking about it in these terms sums up the attitude of landlords, it's just a business to suck up some wealth.
    I would imagine you don't particularly care for the Novara media lot but this is a good video on Landlords 

"Sit Down, Relax, Have A Holiday" - Welcome To Being A Landlord - YouTube

• Options
    iaitch said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Seriously.
    I'm 49 with no pension.

Surely all businesses, whether global corporations or sole traders are accumulating wealth off the back of their customers? That's business.
    Exactly! 
  • Options
    Let's not forget it also could well be in the government's power to pass legislation that you can't evict a tenant when buying a property from a landlord (say hello to the new boss, same as the old boss), or that the tenant gets first dibs, almost like a private "right to buy". 
    What do you mean you can't evict a tenant when buying a property? You mean if you buy a property with a sitting tenant in place? You can't just evict a tenant who has a tenancy agreement without giving notice under the terms of the tenancy. Of course the tenant can buy the said property if they want - at market rate
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

There's a big difference between mortgage affordability and rental and the risks to the landlord/lender.

Likely your landlord put down a large (25%+) deposit
    Your landlord isn't lending you money over a 25 year+ period

All of that said, if you have a history of making rental payments there are banks out there that will take that into consideration, but due to some of what I've mentioned showing say a regular payment of £800 likely means a bank will consider around £600 monthly mortgage payment to cater for those other expenses etc.
    £600 monthly mortgage payment would be around a £130k mortgage over 25 years. Going to be a struggle to find somewhere that cheap as a first time buyer in today's market; and if you grew up in London chances are you'll have to relocate. Things are definitely getting harder.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    it doesn't make a great deal of sense. What is relevant though is the difference between relative an actual poverty.

Absolute Poverty is used to describe a condition where an individual does not have the financial means to obtain commodities to sustain life. Relative Poverty refers to the standard of living compared to economic standards of living within the same surroundings

A lot of commentators speak about those in relative poverty as if it were actual
    I suppose I was commenting on the concept of greed which was referenced above. A list was made (including selling something for a profit on E Bay) and my initial comment was that people wanting and needing more is often about having enough to survive. Not always about greed.
    I think that is the starting point.
    I used an example of one of the 40,000 people a year being kicked out of local authority care (a huge percentage of those fill our prisons…which I suppose is a kind of housing) and wanted to compare such a person with a wealthy person.
    To me the bottom line is that if somebody does an honest eight hour day of work they should have access to a decent place to live, and until that is the situation we are all probably being greedy.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Seriously.
    I'm 49 with no pension.

This is the point most people are missing. You're not trading crypto.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Seriously.
    I'm 49 with no pension.

I would imagine you don't particularly care for the Novara media lot but this is a good video on Landlords 

"Sit Down, Relax, Have A Holiday" - Welcome To Being A Landlord - YouTube

cliff notes? Not gonna risk giving those assad supporting, nato hating grifters a penny of youtube monetising money. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

I suppose I was commenting on the concept of greed which was referenced above. A list was made (including selling something for a profit on E Bay) and my initial comment was that people wanting and needing more is often about having enough to survive. Not always about greed.
    I think that is the starting point.
    I used an example of one of the 40,000 people a year being kicked out of local authority care (a huge percentage of those fill our prisons…which I suppose is a kind of housing) and wanted to compare such a person with a wealthy person.
    To me the bottom line is that if somebody does an honest eight hour day of work they should have access to a decent place to live, and until that is the situation we are all probably being greedy.

That isn't being greedy